After the F-35 I'd think they'd have learned the lesson. (Granted, if they ever wanted a Harrier replacement, it had to be that way.)Not sure what you guys misunderstood from my post, the likes of F-4, A-7, F-111 and later F-35 were ordered from the top to be used by both USN and USAF. Imo the same case seems to be applied to F-47 too (as the F/A-XX for USN), unless you think Boeing can design two entirely different 6th gen fighters from scratch more or less simultaneously.
Broadly speaking, I feel a bit like it's 1992 and the news is showing neato A/F-X art.
I think my big picture takeaway (other than relief at an award) so far is that while F/A-XX has been widely described as a strike fighter, and no doubt accurately, statements over the last day or two have also been talking air superiority and FAD, while the art also looks to show an aircraft with intakes I associate with supersonic aircraft, and indeed Mach 2+ ones. To me that makes F/A-XX seem like the latter day realization of A/F-X, moreso than ATA.
Still the case.Contrary to what you may have read in the forum, supercruise was a requirement at least earlier in the program. But supercruise != interceptor/“air superiority”
Still the case.
USN F/A-XX = Supercruise
USAF F-47 = Subsonic cruise, supersonic capable
Big difference in service requirements
And the USN needs fleet air defense just like what the F-14 provided. Additionally, the USN does not even have one dedicated attack platform, strike fighters everywhere, my personal opinion, not a good idea.Contrary to what you may have read in the forum, supercruise was a requirement at least earlier in the program. But supercruise != interceptor/“air superiority”
Let me clarify and add to, or dedicated unmanned strike platforms as well.And the USN needs fleet air defense just like what the F-14 provided. Additionally, the USN does not even have one dedicated attack platform, strike fighters everywhere, my personal opinion, not a good idea.
Providing what I know as of March 2025.Huh?
Both had supercruise requirements. F-47 it was a hard requirement at contract award. F/A-XX it was a hard requirement, then a stretch goal, then a hard requirement at the time of two different AOAs, and then during the last year F/A-XX requirements were changed and I do not know if supercruise was affected
And the USN needs fleet air defense just like what the F-14 provided. Additionally, the USN does not even have one dedicated attack platform, strike fighters everywhere, my personal opinion, not a good idea.
I thought the reason they didn't want it was because it was basically a completely different aircraft than the YF-23.If Boeing's F/A-XX has canards, it's amazing the USN did not want the NATF-23 at the time, the USN was kind of screwed up back then.
He’s said that before and combined that with saying the export version would be downgraded.The US President said F-47 is being contemplated for export.
Make of that what you will
F/A-XXs planform, effector system and overall aerodynamics fully accommodate mission useful supercruise (and perhaps even a higher dash speed than Fat Amy II doomers had feared), but the initial spiral(s) of F/A-XX plan for a less exotic engine than an ACE, with a relatively straightforward path to ACEs, if/when USN believes that is capability cost effective.
To the extent this is the case, the USAF and USN NGAD programs would go through a similar “engine two-step”, albeit bc of clearly different reasons.
Starliner, not Starship. VERY different spacecraftConsidering what a crap show Starship has proven to be
Thanks. Now fixed.Starliner, not Starship. VERY different spacecraft![]()
I'm quite surprised Boeing won the contract. I figured industry related reasoning would have been enough to tip the scales in favor of Northrop Grumman's offering.
IDK, there have been a lot of indications lately that Boeing have stepped up their game:I cannot believe Boeing won this I hope NG launch a challenge. Considering what a crap show Starliner has proven to be, with NASA having to shell out yet more money to try and get a workable and safe product I wouldn’t trust Boeing to build a Lego set.
I would love to see the DemonstratorsAlso, there have been a lot of indications lately that Boeing have stepped up their game:
1. They were able to design, manufacture and fly their AII-X demonstrator 3 years earlier than LockMart and, according to them, years faster than expected.
2. when the F-47 contract was awarded AF officials stated that the Boeing submission was more revolutionary that the "evolutionary" LockMart submission, which I more and more believe refers to their digital design methods achieving very high development speeds
Lots of eggs in Boeing's basket:I cannot believe Boeing won this I hope NG launch a challenge. Considering what a crap show Starliner has proven to be, with NASA having to shell out yet more money to try and get a workable and safe product I wouldn’t trust Boeing to build a Lego set.
I know, I said it largely in jestIt was a 50% call, that's not exactly proof of anything. Even an idiot can be right sometimes.
T-7, MQ-25 and KC-46 have already reached a certain level of maturity, while F-15EX as part of the advanced Eagle family has been running smoothly for many years now for many customers.Lots of eggs in Boeing's basket:
F-47
F/A-XX
MQ-25
T-7
F-15 EX
KC-46
A lot of programs to juggle and manage.
It doesn't matter, you still have to manage and keep these programs on-track, competent management and people to do the work. T-7 is having issues, MQ-25 hasn't even made it to the carrier yet and KC-46, still has some major issues, you can still screw up mature programs. Seems you are new to aerospace, you seem to also look at these from an academics viewpoint, wait until you are working in the industry for a number of years and have gained more experience.T-7, MQ-25 and KC-46 have already reached a certain level of maturity, while F-15EX as part of the advanced Eagle family has been running smoothly for many years now for many customers.
All focus should be on the two next generation tactical aircraft, which depending on how much they share (I'm actually mostly thinking internally here) might be challenging but quite doable for Boeing. I think it would be foolish to underestimate one of the largest aviation giants in history with an extensive track record across it's own and it's subsidiaries portfolio.
To add onto this - A big part of Boeing's design methodology is Full Size Determinant Assembly (FSDA). This process reduces a huge amount of man hours, tools needed, and overall cost by shifting the responsibility of drilling holes and interfaces from the guys on the floor to the supplier. In the end you end up with more precise holes, smaller acceptable tolerances, and increased efficiency.2. when the F-47 contract was awarded AF officials stated that the Boeing submission was more "revolutionary" than the "evolutionary" LockMart submission, which I more and more believe refers to their digital design methods achieving very high development speeds