• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Taiwan 5th-gen fighter studies

Ainen

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Wu Pao-kun, director of the ministry's Department of Strategic Planning, told a press conference that the next-generation aircraft must possess stealth characteristics and be capable of short take-offs, without elaborating.

Maj. Gen. Tang Hung-an, head of the air force command's planning division, told the same press conference that the plan to build the next-generation fighters at home is "going as scheduled."

The air force is teaming up with the National Chung-shan Institute of Science and Technology and Aerospace Industrial Development Corp. on the project.

Comment/speculations: seems to be a contingency plan in case of failure to asquire the f-35b.
Apparently, project is active for some time already.
Taiwan has some actual experience in building fighters("the best aircraft state department has ever developed"(c) saulty LM), and, likely, may have US technological help, but i am sceptical.

Maro.Kyo

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score

There seems to be some active next-gen fighter jet program going on in Taiwan as well. 織女星計畫 (Project Vega) seems to be the code name. I've heard that they are planning to spend around $ 6 billion in total, of which a bit less than $ 1.6 billion for the engine program to develop an advanced variant of F125 with higher thrust.

With that money and their technology, I'm pretty sure its not going to be 5th gen but still posting here because who knows. There aren't much information public after all. I wouldn't want to start a new thread as well. Since they are getting F-16Vs, I guess its probably to replace the Mirage 2000s which reportedly has quite a few problems within the Taiwanese air force and also probably to have a safegaurd just in case US becomes reluctant of selling weapons just like in the case of few years ago.

The leaked image from several years ago shows a design of a advanced F-CK-1 with a delta wing, so maybe we would be able to see something like a F-16XL?

jR2101251506395996.jpg

Resister1976

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I just remember that they have tried to put radar absorbing coating on F-CK-1.
If I remember rightly……20 years ago?

NUSNA_Moebius

Reaction score
Cramming all the necessary 5th gen features into an airframe small and light enough for 2x F125XX's (16,000 lb thrust?) is going to be difficult. Might need to consult the Swedes on that one (FS2020 studies) or sacrifice total internal weapons bay capacity. Luckily, they wouldn't have to fly far and the more they can produce the better, to counter J-20s and swarms of Gen 4+ fighters.

Were any F125s produced in Taiwan or were they all manufactured in the US? It's already a decent engine for a short range counter-air UCAV.

apparition13

Reaction score
Cramming all the necessary 5th gen features into an airframe small and light enough for 2x F125XX's (16,000 lb thrust?) is going to be difficult. Might need to consult the Swedes on that one (FS2020 studies) or sacrifice total internal weapons bay capacity. Luckily, they wouldn't have to fly far and the more they can produce the better, to counter J-20s and swarms of Gen 4+ fighters.

Were any F125s produced in Taiwan or were they all manufactured in the US? It's already a decent engine for a short range counter-air UCAV.
The programmed update to the f125 for the second batch of F1CKs was in the 12000 pound thrust class. There was a proposed growth version with 16000 pounds of thrust, but I think that was a larger engine and wouldn't fit in the existing airframe, although I'm not positive about that.

NUSNA_Moebius

Reaction score

The programmed update to the f125 for the second batch of F1CKs was in the 12000 pound thrust class. There was a proposed growth version with 16000 pounds of thrust, but I think that was a larger engine and wouldn't fit in the existing airframe, although I'm not positive about that.
I didn't realize the 16,000 lbs class engine was bigger. Is there an accurate max diameter out there for the f124 or F125? Everything I've seen lists 36in but that seems big to me for an engine of that thrust level (same-ish diameter as F404). The bypass ratio is higher (better SFC) and it weighs half as much, but volume is at a premium. Considering the F124 is often placed as a replacement for the 24in Adour, seems like the F124 family core is closer to that.

I find the F124 family interesting for it's given niche, hinted growth, and of course the vary rare case of a centrifugal compressor stage being used in an engine for such intended applications.