Blue Origin and New SHEPARD RLV

This.

My opinion is, if those suborbital rides can provide a affordable "taste" of the Overview effect to a large number of people - then they are worth it. Obviously, Earth orbit (and Apollo !) would be even more powerful; but considering Shatner reaction in that video, even suborbital rides may be a good start.

Remember that old Shuttle abort mode, called "AOA" ? Abort Once Around.
It was essentially an incomplete, single orbit. It lasted 1 hour and a half.

Well, SpaceX Starship "intercontinental flights" will fly the same profile. This mean that, each flight will have 200 people enjoying 30 to 45 minutes of "Overview effect".
Rinse, repeat: within the span of some years, some thousands people will have this vision engrained in their mind.

And this, folks, may change a lot of attitudes, as it already happened in the 60's.

The best-known "Earth rise / blue marble" picture is of course that of Apollo 8 on Christmas day 1968.
But there were some others, similar pictures.
One was an earlier, similar shot taken by a Lunar Orbiter robotic probe back in 1966.
Another one was a GEO Earth disk taken by a NASA satellite (can't remember which one, think it was ATS-3 prototype comsat).

All three pictures were PR hits for NASA, even if nowadays the Apollo 8 one is the best known.

Human's psyche doesn't behave well in long period of stagnation. As a social group that tends to reorganize itself in the momentum of action, we are in a dare need to push boundaries.

It will be hard to deny the enthusiasm among the crowds for the new momentum that brought SpaceX in its race for space. For the first time since Apollo, there isn't someone on earth with access to the media that can't name a rocket or that of a Space company. Think about that!

Yeah, Space is popular. And with that comes typical human behavior: chicanery. IMOHO, on overall, that a rather positive sign of progress* ;)

*see it as our "full of stars" moment

All three pictures were PR hits for NASA, even if nowadays the Apollo 8 one is the best known.
Sadly, they may have been PR hits *on* NASA. Those early "wow, Earth" photos helped spur on the environmental movement, which helped to kill off not only nuclear power but also hamstrung NASA and have led to *generations* of the dumbest "argument" in all of human history: "why spend all that money in space when we still have problems on Earth."

There was no way of knowing that spectacular photos made possible by the manned space program would lead to luddites trashing the future of mankind, but here we are. With that history kept in mind, the possibility exists that spectacular tourist flights, suborbital and/or orbital, might lead to the *termination* of space tourism. "All these billionaires spending money on space when there are still problems here on Earth, so I demand they stop because I'm jealous or power-mad or ideologically opposed to rich people having fun."

You know, this is exactly what Ray Bradbury mentions in early stories of "The Martian chronicles".

Some people are running away from Earth and to Mars just for the sake of excitation, and of pioneering a new, virgin land.

Which sounds pretty similar to Musk motives.

For the record, the novel(s) were written nearly 70 years ago.

Of course the exciting and pionnering "rush era" doesn't last too long before Earth awful and oppressive bureaucracy (Farenheit 451, is that you ?) come landing down on Mars, pestering the once happy pioneers with political correctness cranked well past 11 (Farenheit 451 actually grew from one of a Martian chronicles novel, how about that).

Some react... violently, like the one who build a full-blown Edgard Alan Poe nightmarish horror mansion to invite and trap the miserable bureaucrats inside - and kill them all through maddening, perverted tricks.

They had "Farenheit-451" his books some years before, on Earth... and he avenge with a passion.

Ultimately, the Earth bureaucracy contamination of Mars is "solved" the following way.
a) the Earth WWIII-nuke-fest himself
b) the Mars "pioneers" are call back for the slaughter, and 99.9% of them leave Mars to die incinerated, leaving only some poor lost souls (Walter Gripp, Genevieve Selsor, and Hathaway.)

There was no way of knowing that spectacular photos made possible by the manned space program would lead to luddites trashing the future of mankind, but here we are. With that history kept in mind, the possibility exists that spectacular tourist flights, suborbital and/or orbital, might lead to the *termination* of space tourism. "All these billionaires spending money on space when there are still problems here on Earth, so I demand they stop because I'm jealous or power-mad or ideologically opposed to rich people having fun."

SHAZAM, mofos! Here comes Prince Willy to prove my figgen' point!!!!

Prince William: Saving Earth should come before space tourism

Speaking about the current space race and the drive to promote space tourism, William said: "We need some of the world's greatest brains and minds fixed on trying to repair this planet, not trying to find the next place to go and live. ... I think that ultimately is what sold it for me - that really is quite crucial to be focusing on this [planet] rather than giving up and heading out into space to try and think of solutions for the future."

It is at this point I would post my opinion of the value of opinions of inbred morons like this, but in the interests of maintaining peace and harmony on the forum I'll refrain from pointing out how glad I am that the US kicked this goobers family out of the country.

Brits, y'all voted for this.

You don't have to be Prince William to speak your mind. Anyway, those "problems on earth" are being solved by science. Space exploration will not stop, but it is cheaper and safer to send automated systems/probes to other planets.

Until the 'cheap seats' become available, the peasants will have to make do with this. The Royals - everywhere - still enjoy their positions. The new royals - the billionaires - are maneuvering for a larger and larger piece of the pie and access to space. It goes like this:

• Elon Musk fired his latest shot across the bow at Jeff Bezos, as the billionaires' companies spar in front of federal regulators over satellite internet.
  • After Amazon asked the Federal Communications Commission to dismiss SpaceX's latest amendment to its Starlink satellite network, Musk emphasized his company's response that Bezos is exceptionally litigious.
  • "Filing legal actions against SpaceX is *actually* his full-time job," Musk tweeted.
  • [Taken from CNBC]

Might change a few hearts and minds of the rich and powerful the more of them that take these flights.

So far, only the rich can afford to go on these flights.
And only the rich could afford supercomputers. Now the poorest Americans have supercomputers in their pockets.

a) the Earth WWIII-nuke-fest himself
b) the Mars "pioneers" are call back for the slaughter, and 99.9% of them leave Mars to die incinerated, leaving only some poor lost souls (Walter Gripp, Genevieve Selsor, and Hathaway.)
That part never made the first bit of sense. "War is about to be declared! Come on home and get incinerated!"

"Sign me up!!!"

SHAZAM, mofos! Here comes Prince Willy to prove my figgen' point!!!!

Prince William: Saving Earth should come before space tourism

Speaking about the current space race and the drive to promote space tourism, William said: "We need some of the world's greatest brains and minds fixed on trying to repair this planet, not trying to find the next place to go and live. ... I think that ultimately is what sold it for me - that really is quite crucial to be focusing on this [planet] rather than giving up and heading out into space to try and think of solutions for the future."

It is at this point I would post my opinion of the value of opinions of inbred morons like this, but in the interests of maintaining peace and harmony on the forum I'll refrain from pointing out how glad I am that the US kicked this goobers family out of the country.

Brits, y'all voted for this.
From the Captain:

They say that every 1 billion years the sun gets 10% brighter, this planet is bound to be screwed anyways so why not make mars or moons farther away become more habitable for colonization

A plenty of intends... But a singular lack of purpose.

What comes there after decades of NASA Sciences missions that have exhausted everyone about space? Bla Bla Sciences...

Last edited:
Next Sciences they talked allot about manufacture in space
but i hope they got backup plane to launch that station with SpaceX falcon Heavy and with Crew Dragon
see Boeing Starliner and BL new Glenn is for moment Vaporware...

Also in the news-Bezos tried to rip off Tom Hanks on a sub-orbital ride for--oh-- near thirty million bucks. I gather from Cosmoquest that the divorce was more costly after all :/

Tom Hanks refuse the offer because "too expensive"
“It costs like $28 million or something like that,” Hanks told Kimmel.
“And I’m doing good, Jimmy [Kimmel] —I’m doing good—but I ain’t paying $28 [million] bucks.”

Meanwhile the New Glenn Mockup went for short ride outside and back into factory
FDSzd7XWUAEKSvF

Tom Hanks refuse the offer because "too expensive"
“It costs like $28 million or something like that,” Hanks told Kimmel.
“And I’m doing good, Jimmy [Kimmel] —I’m doing good—but I ain’t paying $28 [million] bucks.”

Meanwhile the New Glenn Mockup went for short ride outside and back into factory
FDSzd7XWUAEKSvF
Saw on Reddit that it was a metal mockup not even made by Blue Origin last fall. Not saying it's true but it wouldn't surprise me. At this point I'm wondering how long until ULA takes legal action over the engine fiasco.

Is there even such thing as a well adjusted billionaire? Musk is the best...an aspie in a way...Buffett seems cold. Bezos? Oy...
What do you mean in a way being as he’s said he’s autistic.

news on Kupier project
Bezos wants to launch 7774 satellites to counter Starlink
in total they want 30000 ones in Orbit
Good luck, you have NOT a Launch Vehicle and upset you only launch client ULA
and the competition is building biggest reusable rocket ever to launch even more Starlink into Orbit...

Paying customers or complementary rides? BO balance sheet and profit projections must be science fiction.