Blue Origin
Suborbital flights 17 one with 4 person
Orbital Flights NONE
and no Hardware for that...

SpaceX
Suborbital flights 90
Orbital Flights 127 times, two mission with total 6 astronaut to ISS
and builds biggest rocket ever

Impressive lack of results for BO that is now 20 years old...

Wasn’t there a story that Bill Gates wanted to bring the Saturns back for Teledesic or something before he got married?

Now if I had Bezos-level money, I’d try a scaled up Saturn IB type design with vertical legs between the tanks. Maybe plastic tanks for kerosene. The tanks would slide past each other a bit if it lands heavy with something like a mechanical fuse strut designed to break but be replaced. An articulated puck like a platigrade foot?

No legs to stove the tank in from the sides. The legs are long and fit between..a little like Orion pusher plate rods. BTW an Orion meat-tenderizer might make for a nice build.

With legs this long…maybe you don’t even need a pad or tower…Fairing attaches to the FIRST STAGE and opens like the old Jupiter IRBM petals…but with webbing in between so as to act as ballute like grid-fin/shuttlecock. Once open the upper stage departs and the first stage has a lot of surface area to slow—lower the legs and the CG perhaps.

Maybe landing turbojets drawing off residual kerosene. Small amounts of hypergolics in the plunger like legs so the harder it lands on said legs…the more thrust it plungers out to soften said landing automatically…no computer throttling needed.

That’s my RLV.

Doable, guys?

Last edited:
Fact check again

Blue Origin
Orbital Flights NONE

SpaceX
Suborbital flights 90

Orbital hardware does exist in various forms. The BE-4s certainly do as though they are heavily delayed ULA should be getting them at the latest 2022.

Fact check again

Blue Origin
Orbital Flights NONE

SpaceX
Suborbital flights 90

Orbital hardware does exist in various forms. The BE-4s certainly do as though they are heavily delayed ULA should be getting them at the latest 2022.
I'll believe it when BO testfire one without rapid disassembly before 2022.

Current state of Blue origin...

Insider tell:
Bob Smith create a slow working bureaucratic Management that take 70% from budget and leave 30% for hardware development.
Allot workers quit because Smith way to run company, those are top Engineers of HLS and New Glenn and BE-4 engine programs !
This disrupt those Programs seriously

According anonymous sources at NASA do HLS Lawsuit will Blue Origin NEVER again consider as Main Contractor !
The Space Force not pay anymore for New Glenn R&D, but now invest in Falcon 9/Heavy.
Also is the Pentagon displeased about delay on BE-4 program for ULA Vulcan rocket.

Source:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpiWdLY3J1c&t=185s

Boldly going... where no Shatner has gone before... sad Leonard Nimoy isn't there anymore.
How about Nichelle "Uhura" Nichols ? she did a lot of positive stuff for NASA in the 70's (women's right and children outreach).

Former NASA astronaut Mae Jemison has cited Nichols' role of Lieutenant Uhura as her inspiration for wanting to become an astronaut and Whoopi Goldberg has also spoken of Nichols' influence.[18] Goldberg asked for a role on Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the character Guinan was specially created, while Jemison appeared on an episode of the series.[19]

you guys forgot George Take and Walter Koenig

FAJ2E4oXsAIX7dF

Walter_Koenig_Photo_Op_GalaxyCon_Minneapolis_2019.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1442477422666915844

We’re excited to welcome Chris Boshuizen (@cboshuizen) and Glen de Vries (@CaptainClinical) on board #NewShepard #NS18 which will lift off from Launch Site One on Oct. 12. The two other crew will be announced soon. Learn more: bit.ly/3CNJaey

Blue Origin announces next customers to fly on New Shepard’s upcoming human flight on October 12
September 27, 8:00 AM CDT / 13:00 UTC

Today, Blue Origin announced New Shepard’s 18th mission, NS-18, will lift off on Tuesday, October 12, carrying four astronauts to space and back, including Dr. Chris Boshuizen, a former NASA engineer and co-founder of Planet Labs, and Glen de Vries, Vice-Chair, Life Sciences & Healthcare, Dassault Systèmes and co-founder, Medidata. The two other astronauts will be announced in the coming days.

Live launch coverage begins on BlueOrigin.com at T-60 minutes. Liftoff is currently targeted for 8:30 am CDT / 13:30 UTC from Launch Site One in West Texas.

This flight follows Blue Origin’s successful first human flight on July 20 which included Jeff Bezos, his brother Mark Bezos, aviation pioneer Wally Funk, and Blue Origin’s first customer, Oliver Daemen. Here is a recap of their historic mission to space.

Also on board NS-18 will be thousands of postcards from Blue Origin’s foundation, Club for the Future.

Meet Dr. Chris Boshuizen

Chris’s career has been dedicated to pushing the boundaries of space and igniting youth excitement in pursuing careers in STEM. He co-founded Planet Labs (Planet) in 2010 and served as the CTO for five years. Under his technical leadership Planet became the first company to commercially utilize nanosatellites, and now—having launched over 450 satellites—provides daily, global mapping of our changing planet from space.

From 2008 to 2012, Chris served as a Space Mission Architect at NASA’s Ames Research Center where he co-invented the NASA Phonesat, a free-flying orbital satellite built out of an ordinary smartphone. While at NASA, Chris also established Singularity University, a school for studying the consequences of accelerating technological development. While pursuing his BSc and then PhD in Physics from the University of Sydney, he organized several international space conferences for the youth of the world. He also served as the first Executive Director of the Space Generation Advisory Council.

“This is a fulfillment of my greatest childhood dream,” said Dr. Chris Boshuizen. “More importantly, though, I see this flight as an opportunity to inspire students to pursue careers in STEM and catalyze the next generation of space explorers. After all, our future of life in space is in their very capable hands.”

Meet Glen de Vries

Glen de Vries co-founded Medidata Solutions in 1999, the world’s most used clinical research platform. The company’s software has powered over 25,000 clinical trials with more than seven million patients in every therapeutic area, from vaccines to cancers and rare diseases. He is the Vice Chair of Life Sciences and Healthcare at Dassault Systèmes, which acquired Medidata in 2019. Glen serves as a Trustee of Carnegie Mellon University, is the author of “The Patient Equation,” and is an instrument rated private pilot.

“I’ve spent my entire career working to extend people’s lives. However, with limited materials and energy on Earth, extending our reach into space can help humanity continue to thrive,” said Glen de Vries. "Furthermore, astronauts can experience the 'overview effect,' gaining a new perspective on how fragile and precious our planet, those resources, and our civilization are. Playing a part in advancing the space industry and one day making those resources and that understanding available to everyone, is an incredible opportunity. I’ve been passionate about aviation and space for as long as I can remember, so this flight is truly a dream come true.”

Follow @BlueOrigin on Twitter and sign up on BlueOrigin.com to stay up to date on all mission details.

-Gradatim Ferociter

If you think that Boeing sucks with Starliner and SLS

Blue Origin is worse
According 20 other current and former employees, who have written open essay about Bezos company
They caused him of :

"In our experience, Blue Origin’s culture sits on a foundation that ignores the plight of our planet, turns a blind eye to sexism,
is not sufficiently attuned to safety concerns, and silences those who seek to correct wrongs,"
That’s not the world we should be creating here on Earth, and certainly not as our springboard to a better one."
"Former and current employees have had experiences they could only describe as dehumanizing, and are terrified of the potential consequences for speaking out against the wealthiest man on the planet," the authors write. "Others have experienced periods of suicidal thoughts after having their passion for space manipulated in such a toxic environment. One senior program leader with decades in the aerospace and defense industry said working at Blue Origin was the worst experience of her life."

It's CEO Bob Smith and Jeff Bezos who cultivate this kind of toxic culture, disrespect safety concerns, sexist attitudes,
and a lack of commitment to the planet's future. (in other Words Blue Origin is just run like Amazon)
and no wonder that best man and women left and went to work for SpaceX

the open essay

source via Twitter

Bezos seems bent on being Glushko the schemer to Elon's Korolev...except Valentin knew his stuff. So who's Mishin in this picture? I guess Paul Allen was Chelomei, with Talon being a de facto cruise missile....good that Branson didn't go full Nedelin.

View: https://twitter.com/wingod/status/1443612019886723072

Dear @JeffBezos In 2003 when you, myself, and Walt Anderson sat down for breakfast in Seattle, we conveyed to you our greatest concern, which was that rich people in the space arena would cause more harm than good. I had the same talk with Elon. You both promised to do right.

View: https://twitter.com/wingod/status/1443612021178523649

You promised to exert every means to do things right, to do everything possible to open the space frontier, as you and I consider ourselves "Gerry's kids". Elon has kept that promise. You have not. Please quit listening to those people who want to to act like a rich person.

View: https://twitter.com/wingod/status/1443612022331953152

Buying an NFL team, suing NASA because you and your team made a mistake in their bid, and working to stop fellow travelers from making this happen, is against everything that you believed in when you were at Princeton in your SEDS chapter. Please stop it.

View: https://twitter.com/wingod/status/1443612023678373889

Not only has the good will that Blue Origin had painstakingly built for almost 20 years been destroyed, the lack of progress in your engines is endangering national security by not delivering hardware to United Launch Alliance.

View: https://twitter.com/wingod/status/1443612024940888065

We have made amazing progress in the last 30 years, against amazing odds. Bringing private finance into this realm was our goal in the Space Frontier Foundation and the National Space Society. Many people spent their lives in this syssiphian task.

I don't think that you understand how thin the thread of our progress is, and how easy it would be for the powers that be to reverse our progress in the government from the left and right to support what is truly the solution to climate change and other dire societal needs...

for the 21st century.

Unless you change course, have a change of heart, admit that you screwed up, and move to do the right thing, we all, including all of our space dreams, is going to suffer.

There is no one to do this but you Jeff. We are asking you to do it.

Dennis and I were on opposite sides when it came to shuttle-derived HLLV. We both spent decades tilting at our assigned windmills. And somehow…we both wound up being disappointed.

New Shepard got my hopes up. Looked like Kankoh Maru. Bezos the new Bono I thought.

In 2008, Musk was at his lowest ebb….but America was full of optimism.

Musk is near his Zenith…the dream is closer than ever…and the nation is now in trouble.

Slings and arrows….I just don’t understand this world.

I had hoped that I could hear Bezos be a team player and say “Elon—you build the rockets, and I’ll build the payloads…and between us…we will make the spirit of Kubrick live!”

No

When 2001 came, we didn’t get a space odyssey…we got 9/11. And NASA never funded so well as Gulf War.

Even so…NASA was never about one person (except for Abbey) and I still support Old Space for exactly that reason.

Bezos is the “coach” who thinks he’s bigger than the game.

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1445012640380637192

News – Blue Origin confirms William Shatner is launching on the next crewed New Shepard spaceflight.

The original Star Trek's Captain Kirk is scheduled to liftoff Oct. 12:
View: https://twitter.com/williamshatner/status/1445023239105703946

So now I can say something. Yes, it’s true; I’m going to be a “rocket man!”

I hope that someday they will launch Carlton Banks into space... :p

More seriously: scathing report for Bezos. Blue Origin is really a sick company (and Bezos, a ruthless b****rd)

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1447014621026607105

Astronaut @WilliamShatner has arrived to Astronaut Village. West Texas looks good on you, Captain, welcome!
View: https://twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1447236968451088390

Due to forecasted winds in West Texas we are pushing #NS18 launch target to Wednesday, October 13. Liftoff is targeted for 8:30 am CDT / 13:30 UTC. Live broadcast begins at T-90 mins on BlueOrigin.com. Stay tuned for more details.

They show footage of New Glenn

Strange something is missing here...
ah yes a Army of workers and engineers trying to build a rocket (not that unfinished Mockup)
like that Army that works 24 hours / 7 days in week at Starbase...

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-13 um 21.12.37.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-13 um 21.12.37.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-13 um 21.13.15.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-13 um 21.13.15.png
    921.2 KB · Views: 18
Very moving. Imagine, living 90 years to enjoy this at least... 60 years after Star Trek...
For all the hate and hype related to Bezos, I'm glad he did what he did - providing a ride to space to Wally Funk and Shatner. Beyond the PR, that's pretty cool, from a sybolical point of view.
Last Mercury 13: check.
Star Trek actor: check.

Who's next ? one of the last Apollo astronauts, even if it is nothing compared to a Moonwalk, obviously.
How about Buzz Aldrin ? I'm sure he would enjoy one last ride upward.

That was the proper response. Not showing out like the kids. I wish I could have been there. Not for the view...I would search GOES for that-say late 1992 day when the whole lower 48 was cloudy the one time I flew transcontinental during daylight hours...like something from THE LANGOLIERS. At least my touchdown didn't look backbreaking. No, I would have looked to see his eyes light up...not speaking a word out of respect for that fleeting moment. You can't hide body language...as when Bezos snatched the sealing bar from an "underling" and walked away when Bill was trying to have a moment...the only figure there that looked to have a soul...

Might change a few hearts and minds of the rich and powerful the more of them that take these flights.