• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

AX Contenders (alternatives to the Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II)

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
McDonnell-Douglas's AX design was Model 206.

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance, but is this (pictured below) a Fairchild-Republic early A-10 design study? ??? ? :eek:

And the Fairchild-Hiller design that actually won the AX comp - the Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II was designated FH-129 design by Fairchild-Hiller itself??

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
overscan said:
No, its the Convair Model 70 AX design I believe.
And yet the Model 70 is always shown with pod-mounted engines under the wings. Here the engines are blended into the wing, which doesn't appear on any of the other AX pictures we have had so far...

Pioneer said:
the Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II was designated FH-129 design by Fairchild-Hiller itself??
I believe this is only an assumption based on the fake "FH-129" buzz number that appears on the aircraft's nose in one of Fairchild Republic's paintings.

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
overscan said:
On second thought, and after browsing through the whole topic once again, I believe what we have here is the CESSNA design.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2615.msg59490.html#msg59490

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stargazer2006 said:
overscan said:
And yet the Model 70 is always shown with pod-mounted engines under the wings. Here the engines are blended into the wing, which doesn't appear on any of the other AX pictures we have had so far...

Pioneer said:
the Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II was designated FH-129 design by Fairchild-Hiller itself??
I believe this is only an assumption based on the fake "FH-129" buzz number that appears on the aircraft's nose in one of Fairchild Republic's paintings.

"FH-100" appears on a Fairchild F-X model, giving this more credibility.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stargazer2006 said:
overscan said:
On second thought, and after browsing through the whole topic once again, I believe what we have here is the CESSNA design.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2615.msg59490.html#msg59490

I think you need a new pair of glasses, Stephane :)

Here's why I think its a version of the Convair Model 70, with the engine pods moved up slightly into the wings (see attached)

Tony's book has General Dynamics Fort Worth AX, Grumman twin turbofan Model 450-4 (eerily similar to the A-10), 2 more Lockheed AX designs, North American NA-339...

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
overscan said:
I think you need a new pair of glasses, Stephane :)
Here's why I think its a version of the Convair Model 70, with the engine pods moved up slightly into the wings (see attached)
Agreed. The aircraft's general lines and proportions all converge toward the Convair Model 70. I can't argue with that! You'll have to admit though that the engine installation is extremely different from the various images we have of that design. Hence my (false) assumption that it might have been Cessna (I realize of course that the latter's lines are different).

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes - it is most likely an earlier version of the design given that a desk model of the podded engine version exists which means its probably the submission design.

Mark Nankivil

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All -

A recent EPay buy of a 1968 LTV AX Concept print.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

[See revised version below - Admin]

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
PaulMM said:
Cleaned up to remove effect of textured paper:
Wow! I'd be curious to know how you did that one! :eek:

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GIMP plugin set GMIC - Bilateral Filtering. Its a noise reduction filter which preserves edges pretty well.

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Northrop A-9 contractor model found on eBay.

[link no longer active]

Genuine?

Attachments

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mark has sent me the originals - here is my scan. Marks scan is actually more faithful to the original artwork, which is kind of a little "washed out", but I prefer my version.

Attachments

Pioneer

Reaction score
Once again great work and great find Mark!!
I thought of the Vought AX design, after first seeing the artist impression was that it was somewhat more compact than the likes of the Fairchild/Northrop designs. Your finding with these drawings seem to support this!!

Keep them coming mate!!!

Regards
Pioneer

saba

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
My favorite thread !
Thanks, MM. Nankivil and Martell !
IMHO, these last drawings for the V-502 are related to the -10 in place of the -11 wich is longer and has full scale TF34 (see previous 3 views drawings of different V-502 in this thread)
Cordialement,
Dominic

AeroFranz

Reaction score
Mark, it's fully redundant at this point, but your posts are gems. Thanks for taking the time to dig 'em up. ;)

alfakilo

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Interesting...but the last thing we were thinking about dropping was M117s. Until the first Gulf war, forward firing ordnance (gun and Maverick) was our primary choice. If we had to go with free fall bombs, it would have been parent mounted Mk82, probably tossed into the target area.

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
A cleaned-up version of pictures seen earlier in this topic:

1°) The first Convair design reminds me of the much earlier OS-117 proposal for the Navy.
2°) No mention of the Vought V-502 in the report. It might have been dropped at an early stage in the competition.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
3 years earlier, in the same topic....

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2615.msg59489.html#msg59489

;D

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well, searching for pictures often is quite hard. A function, to show all pages
of a thread as thumbnails would be great ....

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Thanks for sharing, even if not for the first time. ;)

One question on the Convair AX-1 proposal...how they heck did they envision syncronizing a 30mm Gatling gun to fire through the prop? I have never heard of an externally-powered gun being syncronized in that way. The only system I can imagine is electric ignition and the gun would just spit out, unfired, the rounds that would have hit the prop, which seems very wasteful given the price of depleted uranium.

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry for the duplication (not quite so in fact, since the pics were cleaned up a bit).

I honestly couldn't remember seeing these before here, and I didn't check the rest of the thread beforehand.

As for a visualisation of a whole topic before posting, what I usually do is that I click on "All" instead of a page number, and the whole topic then shows as one page only.

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Northrop A-9A model found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORTHROP-A-9A-VINTAGE-AVIATION-COLLECTOR-COMPANY-DESPLAY-MODEL-/281022592776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416e407708

Attachments

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All -

Found the attached artwork (appears to the be the Grumman AX design) in a 1974 issue of National Aeronautics magazine.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

Pioneer

Reaction score
Does anyone have any links to footage of the Northrop YA-9 flying, firing cannon or dropping weapons, during the YA-10 & YA-9 flyoff / eveluation???
There has to be something out there that shows this design in flight, so as to compare too that of the YA-10 footage :-\
I've had no luck with Youtube :mad:

Regards
Pioneer

The Artist

Reaction score
Pioneer said:
Does anyone have any links to footage of the Northrop YA-9 flying, firing cannon or dropping weapons, during the YA-10 & YA-9 flyoff / eveluation???
There has to be something out there that shows this design in flight, so as to compare too that of the YA-10 footage :-\
I've had no luck with Youtube :mad:

Regards
Pioneer
Just a thought. See if any of the Air Force Now segments from that period have been digitized and placed on the web. We saw a lot of the Air Force Now installments on 16mm in an explorer post back in the 70s and I think there was some of what you're looking for in that series.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice pic - and A-9 is not in too bad condition.

Pioneer

Reaction score
G'day gents
I just stumbled across this great video on Youtube! It's titled 'Northrop A-9 and Fairchild Republic A-10 Briefing'
Look it up, for it shows the best and for that matter the only footage I've seen of the Northrop A-9 flying and delivering weapons during the trials!

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer

Reaction score
Good on ya Cluttonfred!
For some reason it wouldn't allow me to cut and past the link last night :mad:

I'm thinking there must be some very interesting video/film footage of the A-9 out there in internet land!!

Regards
Pioneer