• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II

sublight is back

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Sorry, not trying to derail, does anybody else find it really annoying that this Air Force film, paid for by the American public is "owned and copyrighted" by Periscope films?

allysonca

ACCESS: Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So, with an extra Precise A-10, a "borrowed" tail from a poorly injected A-10, some judicious sanding and shaping, a few extra underwing stores, and the inspiration from a picture of the 3 tail wind tunnel model I present...........

Attachments

• A-10 3 Tail.jpg
    A-10 3 Tail.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 3 TAIL A-10.jpg
    3 TAIL A-10.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 211

kcran567

Reaction score
10 sorties a day with 40 min turnaround time for next mission in austere environment, busting tanks and supporting soldiers on the ground. That is very impressive. Will always need that type of capability no matter what the anti-A-10 "experts" say.

octo

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Firstly Hi to everyone on Secret Projects. Im building a scale model of HobbyBoss N/AW A-10. A decent kit, but
lacking in ordnance. Im looking for imagery on two Pods, Texas Instrument AAR-42 FLIR. Westinghouse WX-50 radar.
any help would be most appreciated.

TomS

Reaction score

octo

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Thanks TomS, just what Im after. probably will have to scratch build them. Under the precis of ( if it looks right, it is right).

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Big and Brass.

Is the aircraft repairable?

Last edited:

FighterJock

Reaction score
The A-10 is certainly a tough plane, you could throw anything at it and it would still fly. I once saw a documentary about the A-10 talking about Desert Storm where it showed footage of the A-10 coming back with massive holes in the wings, flaps and tail surfaces, the pilot back back then still managed to land using the back-up controls this time thankfully with landing gear down.

apparition13

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Big and Brass.

I would assume so. The A-10 was designed to be able to do just what it did there, land without gear down, in case of battle damage. I don't recall that capability having to be put to the test before, but that looked pretty routine for an emergency landing, so it seems to me the design worked as planned.

dan_inbox

Reaction score
Big and Brass.

I would assume so. The A-10 was designed to be able to do just what it did there, land without gear down, in case of battle damage. I don't recall that capability having to be put to the test before, but that looked pretty routine for an emergency landing, so it seems to me the design worked as planned.
Yes it was, during ODS.

US A-10 Warthog wheels up, hard stick landing Capt Rich Biley 79-0181 ODS 1991-02-22.jpg s,

TomS

Reaction score
Big and Brass.

As I recall, the main gear wheels don't fully retract to help in gear-up landings.

Jeb

Reaction score
Big and Brass.

As I recall, the main gear wheels don't fully retract to help in gear-up landings.
Correct, I think a good third of the wheel, maybe more, sits out in the airflow when "retracted".

TsrJoe

Reaction score
was the A.10 Thunderbolt ever pitched to the UK. for the RAF. ?
I understand Australia and W. Germany were interested in the type for possible procurement, it would be interesting as to any other interested countries ? I understand Iran ? Israel ?

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
The two seater would have been more useful possibly but that bit the dust.

TomS

Reaction score
I wonder if the upgrades will also include an armor-piercing round *without* depleted uranium?

It's certainly been discussed since at least 2018. In 2019, a huge amount of PGU-14 DU rounds showed up in a list of projectiles the Air Force wanted to dispose of.

The could field a tungsten API or Frangible AP round. Or for less money, they could just soldier on with the PGU-13 HEI round and drop the API entirely. For actual tank-killing, some form of PGM is clearly preferred, and for general suppressive strafing, HEI would seem to be superior.

uk 75

Reaction score
The US based its European A10s in the UK with forward operating bases in Germany closer to US units.
The A10s trained with Army helicopter units and were closely tied to the defence of the Fulda and Hof Gaps.
In contrast BAOR in North Germany relied on a mixture of Harriers and Tornados but its main anti tank force was ground based Chieftains and Swingfire ATGW. It had small numbers of TOW equipped Lynx.
The Bundeswehr liked its little nimble Alpha Jets and Bo105 PAH helos with HOT ATGW.
A10s were pretty expensive and needed Maverick ASMs as well as their powerful and expensive main gun ammo.
Definitely out for the RAF but the Germans might have swapped their Alphas for A10s if the Cold War had gone on into the 90s and PAH2 had replaced the Bo105s.

shin_getter

Reaction score
Given that CAS was not a prominent feature of Israeli air doctrine this strikes me as odd.
Israeli air force probably points to Iran as the primary mission, with Osiris reactor strike being the defining historical strategic contribution.

Otherwise you can park a HIMARs in the middle of the country and provide fire support to every front in record time. Army apaches can also deal with Palestinian non-peer conflict better than AF as well.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Above, Phillis switched into Sandy, or the A-10 search and rescue (SAR) mode. He radioed that he saw a good chute and marked the ejection site coordinates. He radioed the nearby E-3 Sentry AWACS that his wingman was down and asked for more aircraft to come and help the SAR effort.

These steps are the typical duty of a wingman in a downed aircraft situation—but Phillis stayed. Radio traffic showed confusion as incoming aircraft were not clear where to head.

Phillis flew an orbit over the armored division to draw fire away from Sweet as he parachuted down. He radioed incoming A-10s, trying to direct them to his position since the aircraft did not have radar.

The incoming A-10s could not spot him, so Phillis fired flares from his A-10—drawing the attention of both the Iraqis and the incoming help.

After repeated attempts to help the incoming aircraft locate him, Phillis realized the increased danger of the situation. An Iraqi SA-13 hit Phillis’s A-10, lighting it on fire. He radioed to the incoming A-10s to leave, then radioed his own fate.

“Enfield 3-7 is bag as well,” Phillis radioed to the AWACS with a calm tone.

With the aircraft on fire and disintegrating, Phillis turns south in an attempt to get away from the Iraqis and Sweet’s ejection site. His A-10 ultimately crashed, cartwheeling through the Kuwaiti sand, and was totally destroyed.

Fluff

Reaction score
I understand Australia and W. Germany were interested in the type for possible procurement, it would be interesting as to any other interested countries ? I understand Iran ? Israel ?
Even today, if usaf retires them, I’d think Poland would have a look, everything they do is around anti-tank.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
I think the A-10 was offered to Australia but I don't think there was ever any real interest.

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Osiris reactor

Don't know for Egypt, but that Iraqi reactor was called Osirak (and at times: O-Chirac, because the late French PM and President was once a very good friend of Saddam Hussein, and France helped Osirak buildup a lot).

France helped Israel over Dimona in the 50's
France helped Saddam with Osirak
France helped Iran with EURODIF - before the revolution, and afterwards the Mullah deprived of money and technology sought vengeance - 1986 Paris terror attacks, former EURODIF boss, went to Renault - George Besse murder...)
France also helped Pakistan going nuclear.

Damn. Nothing glorious to brag about, really.