Good news that Blue Origin has lost the appeal, now NASA can hopefully get back on track with Artemis 1 and get it launched next February. :)

Update on the rover situation. The article provides a handy overview, with links. The fact that things are still so tentative at this late stage suggest that there are a lot of reasons (such as the space suit issue) for the schedule slip. The BO lawsuit is only one of them, and a useful public excuse.

Last edited:
I hope that the BO lawsuit is dismissed with prejudice and BO then sanctioned for filing a meritless lawsuit.

For my part is Artemis waste of money
it focus on construction of a "lunar gateway" that need billions dollars to build and launch and assembly what take too much time
Pull money away from R&D budget needed to build the Landers and needed equipment like new Spacesuits.

My proposal drop the "Lunar Gateway" and spend the money into Reusable lander (base like on Blue Origin "Blue Moon")
Drop the SLS and goes with Falcon Heavy Falcon 9 and New Glenn or Vulcan
and Starliner and crew Dragon to get crews to landers

The Reusable lander operate from low earth orbit and use aerobraking on return to LEO
are refuel by exchange of Propellant tanks in LEO
The Reusable lander use a Direct landing trajectory to arrive on Moon and back
if there a emergency the crew module could land on Earth with help of aerobraking heat shield and parachutes.
I understand your cost complaints for a Moon landing va Artemis Gateway.

Gateway does has a long term test bed value as module assembly for deep space missions and someday even Mars Flyby or Mars Orbit potential. I also have issues with all the current HLS proposals. They all have major flaws or dependencies, or will take a long time for flight readiness, and most are way overpriced.

Artemis-1-Stack-Complete-01.jpg

Media registration is now open to capture imagery and video as NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft roll out of the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida this winter for the first time. SLS and Orion will journey to Launch Pad 39B atop the crawler transporter-2 for a test in preparation for the agency’s Artemis I mission.

The exact date for the move is currently under review. Additional information on timing, as well as interview opportunities and NASA coverage for the final prelaunch test, known as a wet dress rehearsal, will be provided later. No onsite media support is planned during the test itself at this time.

During the rollout, media will have the opportunity to follow the journey from the iconic VAB to the pad from multiple locations. Experts from NASA and its partners will be available to answer questions during the beginning and end of rollout operations.

During the test, planned approximately a week after arriving at the pad, teams from Kennedy’s Exploration Ground Systems, as well as the primary contractor, Jacobs, will load the rocket with more than 700,000 gallons of cryogenic, or supercold, propellants and the team will run through the launch countdown sequence, ending prior to engine ignition. Engineers also will demonstrate procedures to drain the propellants from the rocket. After the test, the rocket and spacecraft will return to the VAB for final checkouts before launch.

Accreditation for this activity is open to U.S. and international media. International media must apply by Sunday, Nov. 28. U.S. media must apply by Wednesday, Dec. 8.

Media registration is now open to capture imagery and video as NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft roll out of the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida this winter for the first time. SLS and Orion will journey to Launch Pad 39B atop the crawler transporter-2 for a test in preparation for the agency’s Artemis I mission.

The exact date for the move is currently under review. Additional information on timing, as well as interview opportunities and NASA coverage for the final prelaunch test, known as a wet dress rehearsal, will be provided later. No onsite media support is planned during the test itself at this time.

During the rollout, media will have the opportunity to follow the journey from the iconic VAB to the pad from multiple locations. Experts from NASA and its partners will be available to answer questions during the beginning and end of rollout operations.

During the test, planned approximately a week after arriving at the pad, teams from Kennedy’s Exploration Ground Systems, as well as the primary contractor, Jacobs, will load the rocket with more than 700,000 gallons of cryogenic, or supercold, propellants and the team will run through the launch countdown sequence, ending prior to engine ignition. Engineers also will demonstrate procedures to drain the propellants from the rocket. After the test, the rocket and spacecraft will return to the VAB for final checkouts before launch.

Accreditation for this activity is open to U.S. and international media. International media must apply by Sunday, Nov. 28. U.S. media must apply by Wednesday, Dec. 8.

Good to see Artemis going though another important test to see how it will perform on launch day, February cannot come fast enough.

Good to see Artemis going though another important test to see how it will perform on launch day, February cannot come fast enough.
I'm looking forward to the day when it's rolled out to LC39 and goes through its dry and wet rehearsals.

Is it reasonable to assume that more than a few NASA officials are considering giving the SLS an official name like Zeus or Hera, given that the Saturn rocket was named after a Greek/Roman deity?

Is it reasonable to assume that more than a few NASA officials are considering giving the SLS an official name like Zeus or Hera, given that the Saturn rocket was named after a Greek/Roman deity?

No.

CSX was supposed to be a temporary place holder for the railway that featured 'Chessie, the sleeping kitten.' But CSX stuck. L and N, Seaboard System, Family Lines were names of what went before. No one should name a rocket Nova...and Atlas should only be for balloon tank..that can't even support their own weight. Pufferfish would have been better. Now to call all toilets in space..."the Proxmire."

I would think that the best idea for NASA concerning the naming of the SLS would be to hold a naming competition like what they did with Perseverance and pick the best one.

I would think that the best idea for NASA concerning the naming of the SLS would be to hold a naming competition like what they did with Perseverance and pick the best one.

That is also where Endeavor's name came from. It wasn't my particular essay, but I also submitted one for that name. :)

"The Rocket Formerly Known as Funded, Now Known as Museum Piece."

If the first SLS launch makes an unusually intense thunder-like sound on liftoff, then NASA will officially assign the name Zeus to the SLS.

Senate Launch System.

According to this NASA engineer, the SLS rollout to LC-39B is scheduled for Tuesday, February 15 (this would be a few days ahead of schedule). View: https://twitter.com/YourFemaleEng/status/1482725726197620742
More info here:

According to this NASA engineer, the SLS rollout to LC-39B is scheduled for Tuesday, February 15 (this would be a few days ahead of schedule). View: https://twitter.com/YourFemaleEng/status/1482725726197620742
More info here:

That is the rollout date been put into my diary, looking forward to seeing the SLS getting moved to the launchpad and being made ready for launch.

Masten's Metal Oxidation Warming System (MOWS), NITE takes another approach to the warming problem by using metals and left over oxidizer from the landing craft's propulsion system, which are used to generate an exothermic chemical reaction to produce both heat and power through the lunar night. During the day, the system is shut down to prevent overheating.
According to Masten, NITE has the advantages of producing more heat than an equivalent battery system at 1,900 watt hours per kilogram, but is seven times lighter. It can warm landers and other craft or equipment for over a year with sufficient onboard oxidizer or oxygen from lunar water, but is about US$50 million dollars cheaper than RTGs and $10 million cheaper in terms of payload costs compared to batteries.

Update on the above, a link on the Toyoya-JAXA 'Lunar Cruiser'
A minor update via the above article:
Gitai Japan Inc., a venture contracted with Toyota, has developed a robotic arm for the Lunar Cruiser, designed to perform tasks such as inspection and maintenance. Its “grapple fixture” allows the arm’s end to be changed so it can work like different tools, scooping, lifting and sweeping.

Artemis 1 Launch date has officially slipped to NET April 2022.

Artemis I Update [dated Feb. 2]

NASA has updated the schedule to move the combined Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft out of the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) to Launch Pad 39B at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida for testing to no earlier than March 2022.

NASA has added additional time to complete closeout activities inside the VAB prior to rolling the integrated rocket and spacecraft out for the first time. While the teams are not working any major issues, engineers continue work associated with final closeout tasks and flight termination system testing ahead of the wet dress rehearsal.

Teams are taking operations a step at a time to ensure the integrated system is ready to safely launch the Artemis I mission. NASA is reviewing launch opportunities in April and May.

Apparently astronauts could be riding in wheelie bins on the moon.

Seriously tho' I'm pretty sceptical of the placement of the crew - they would surely need to have a clear view of the front wheels on uneven ground, but there's a huge blind spot if you extrapolate their line of sight.

flex-rover-879x485.jpg

There do seem to be cameras built in to the front of it though.

I'm certain there are, especially for when it's being operated remotely. However cameras can break and the workload of manually driving via a screen combined with conventional vision presents an ergonomic problem. It seems an unnecessary and easily avoidable complication at best.

I'm certain there are, especially for when it's being operated remotely. However cameras can break and the workload of manually driving via a screen combined with conventional vision presents an ergonomic problem. It seems an unnecessary and easily avoidable complication at best.
I seem to recall the lack of atmosphere and the drab colours on the moon make judging distance and contours difficult. The screen may be much more of an aid than appears, especially if it is augmented somehow.

Hmm, im thinking a purely 'conceptual' design, probably nothing more than a student design project to fulfil one aspect of a brief (although I would have hoped students would have come up with something a little more elegant !) :/

Hmm, im thinking a purely 'conceptual' design, probably nothing more than a student design project to fulfil one aspect of a brief (although I would have hoped students would have come up with something a little more elegant !) :/

I have the same issue with the current rover design, I hope that it will be improved from the design that we have right now into something a lot better.