I think it highly unlikely that a moon base will be built or that there will be a manned mission to Mars. Since money is the driver, survey probes to the asteroid belt to mark off the most profitable rocks, and removing enough contents to pay for a manned mission to do that job would work.
There likely will be a manned mission to Mars because one of the world’s richest people wants to go there.

SpaceX depends heavily on NASA contracts, if the funds and political will for such an endeavour simply isn't there, they're not going to pay for it out of their own pocket.

I don't know. I think Elon Musk, based on comments he's made, might do just that. And if he decides to foot the Bill then NASA will go along. If the mission is successful both the credibility of SpaceX and his own will be enhanced greatly. If I was him, the idea of me being hailed as a pioneer and national hero sounds very appealing.

Even though this rocket has been mocked as the "Senate Launch System", and there is evidence that it was kept alive all this time to preserve jobs in certain districts, at the time of its inception it was the only viable option when it came to having a replacement for the Shuttle. No one could have predicted the success that SpaceX was going to have. There is also a chance that the Starship rocket could run into serious development issues or delays making the SLS the only viable launch system for the foreseeable future.

Even though this rocket has been mocked as the "Senate Launch System", and there is evidence that it was kept alive all this time to preserve jobs in certain districts, at the time of its inception it was the only viable option when it came to having a replacement for the Shuttle. No one could have predicted the success that SpaceX was going to have. There is also a chance that the Starship rocket could run into serious development issues or delays making the SLS the only viable launch system for the foreseeable future.
I think Starship will work just that it will take a whole lot longer than many expect to become a viable system.

View: https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1560590212207562752

Blue hour at LC-39B this morning as NASA’s first Space Launch System rocket and Artemis I await liftoff toward the moon, scheduled for just ten days from now at 8:33 a.m. EDT.

See more of my SLS coverage → johnkrausphotos.com/Galleries/Laun…

View: https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1560592731532972035

Stunning sunrise at LC-39B this morning as NASA’s first Space Launch System rocket and Artemis I await liftoff toward the moon, scheduled for just ten days from now at 8:33 a.m. EDT.

See more of my SLS coverage → johnkrausphotos.com/Galleries/Laun…

I was sixteen when the last Apollo flew in 1972 I am 66 now and all I can say is God speed USA on this one whatever it ends up doing.

I was on Earth at the time of the last Apollo missions, though not consciously enough to remember anything (about those missions).

I was sixteen when the last Apollo flew in 1972 I am 66 now and all I can say is God speed USA on this one whatever it ends up doing.

I was on Earth at the time of the last Apollo missions, though not consciously enough to remember anything (about those missions).

I missed the Apollo missions as I was only born in December 1975, so the Artemis missions will be very important to me.

The Saturns were killed over the promise of reusability. I'll be damned if another sure thing gets killed over similar promises. Starship is a de facto Shuttle 2. I support both.

I was there when the astronauts first landed on the moon. The London Times congratulated "our American friends." Previously, they were skeptical that such a landing could be accomplished at the time. I will not be excited about the Artemis program until the day actual astronauts launch for the moon.

Wha... what? What the heck are they doing flying an empty capsule around the moon in 2022 when they managed to get 3 actual men there using 1969 technology? What? They forgot everything? Materials science has gone backwards? Computers have become larger and less capable?

August 19, 2022
MEDIA ADVISORY M22-116
NASA Sets Launch Coverage for Artemis Mega Moon Rocket, Spacecraft

NASA will provide coverage of prelaunch, launch, and postlaunch activities for Artemis I, the first integrated test of NASA’s Orion spacecraft, Space Launch System (SLS) rocket, and the ground systems at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. This uncrewed flight test around the Moon will pave the way for a crewed flight test and future human lunar exploration as part of Artemis.

The SLS rocket is targeted to launch during a two-hour window that opens at 8:33 a.m. EDT Monday, Aug. 29, from Launch Pad 39B at Kennedy.

The rocket and spacecraft arrived at its launch pad Wednesday after the nearly 10-hour, four-mile trek from the Vehicle Assembly Building. A livestream of the rocket and spacecraft at the launch pad currently is available on the NASA Kennedy YouTube channel.

Live coverage of events will air on NASA Television, the NASA app, and the agency’s website, with prelaunch events starting Monday, Aug. 22. The launch countdown will begin Saturday, Aug. 27, at 10:23 a.m.

A live broadcast of the launch also will include celebrity appearances by Jack Black, Chris Evans, and Keke Palmer, as well as a special performance of “The Star-Spangled Banner” by Josh Grobin and Herbie Hancock. It also will feature a performance of “America the Beautiful” by The Philadelphia Orchestra and cellist Yo-Yo Ma, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin.

The first in a series of increasingly complex missions, Artemis I will be an uncrewed flight test that will provide a foundation to extend human presence to the Moon and beyond. The mission will demonstrate the performance of the SLS rocket and test Orion’s capabilities over the course of about six weeks as it travels about 40,000 miles beyond the Moon and back to Earth.

A limited number of seats inside the auditorium at Kennedy will be available to on-site journalists on a first-come, first-served basis. The deadline has passed for media accreditation for in-person coverage of this launch. Additional journalists wishing to participate may dial in. To participate by telephone, media must RSVP no later than two hours before the start of each briefing to: ksc-newsroom@mail.nasa.gov. Media and members of the public may also ask questions on social media using #Artemis. Audio only of the news conferences will be carried on the NASA “V” circuits, which may be accessed by dialing 321-867-1220, -1240, -1260 or -7135.

NASA’s media accreditation policy for virtual and onsite activities is available online. More information about media accreditation at Kennedy is available by emailing: ksc-media-accreditat@mail.nasa.gov.

Full launch coverage is as follows. All times are Eastern, all events will air live on NASA TV, and the information is subject to change. Follow NASA’s Artemis blog for updates.

Monday, Aug. 22

7 p.m. – NASA will hold a prelaunch media briefing following the agency flight readiness review with the following participants:

Janet Petro, director, Kennedy Space Center
Jim Free, associate administrator for Exploration Systems Development Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters
Mike Sarafin, Artemis mission manager, NASA Headquarters
Charlie Blackwell-Thompson, Artemis launch director, Exploration Ground Systems Program, Kennedy
Howard Hu, Orion Program manager, NASA’s Johnson Space Center
John Honeycutt, Space Launch System Program manager, NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center

Friday, Aug. 26

10 a.m. – NASA will hold a prelaunch media briefing on the role of industry in advancing human exploration with the following participants:

Jim Free, associate administrator, Exploration Systems Development Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters
Jeff Zotti, RS-25 program director, Aerojet Rocketdyne
Jennifer Boland-Masterson, director of operations, Michoud Assembly Facility, Boeing
Randy Lycans, vice president/general manager of NASA Enterprise Solutions, Jacobs
Kelly DeFazio, director of Orion production, Lockheed Martin
Doug Hurley, senior director of business development, Northrop Grumman
Ralf Zimmermann, head of Moon programs and Orion European Service Module, Airbus

Saturday, Aug. 27

11 a.m. – NASA will hold a prelaunch media briefing following the mission management team meeting with the following participants:

Charlie Blackwell-Thompson, Artemis launch director, Exploration Ground Systems Program, Kennedy
Judd Freiling, ascent and entry flight director, Johnson
Rick LaBrode, lead flight director, Johnson
Melissa Jones, recovery director, Exploration Ground Systems Program, Kennedy
Melody Lovin, weather officer, Space Launch Delta 45
Jacob Bleacher, chief exploration scientist, Exploration Systems Development Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters

2:30 p.m. – NASA will hold a prelaunch media briefing on the agency’s Moon to Mars exploration plans with the following participants:

Bill Nelson, NASA administrator
Bhavya Lal, NASA associate administrator for technology, policy, and strategy
Jim Free, NASA associate administrator, Exploration Systems Development Mission Directorate
Kathy Lueders, NASA associate administrator, Space Operations Mission Directorate
Thomas Zurbuchen, NASA associate administrator, Science Mission Directorate
Prasun Desai, NASA deputy associate administrator, Space Technology Mission Directorate
Randy Bresnik, NASA astronaut

Sunday, Aug. 28

9 a.m. – NASA will hold a prelaunch media briefing on the status of the countdown with the following participants:

Jeff Spaulding, Artemis I senior NASA test director
Melody Lovin, weather officer, Space Launch Delta 45

Monday, Aug. 29

12 a.m.: Coverage begins with commentary of tanking operations to load propellant into the SLS rocket.

6:30 a.m.: Full coverage begins in English. Launch coverage will continue through translunar injection and spacecraft separation, setting Orion on its path to the Moon.

7:30 a.m.: Launch coverage begins in Spanish on NASA’s Spanish-language social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube) and will continue approximately 15 minutes after liftoff. Mission coverage updates will be posted on the NASA en español social media channels.

12 p.m.: Coverage of the postlaunch news conference will follow approximately one hour after the live launch broadcast ends. Coverage start time is subject to change, based exact liftoff time. The postlaunch news conference will include the following participants:

Bill Nelson, NASA administrator
Mike Bolger, Exploration Ground Systems Program manager, Kennedy
Howard Hu, Orion Program manager, Johnson
John Honeycutt, Space Launch System Program manager, Marshall

4 p.m.: Coverage of Orion’s first outbound trajectory burn on the way to the Moon. Time of coverage start time is subject to change, based on exact liftoff time.

5:30 p.m.: Coverage of first Earth views from Orion during outbound coast to the Moon.

NASA Television coverage of additional events throughout the mission is available online.

NASA Launch Coverage in English

Briefings and launch coverage will be available on the NASA website. Coverage will include live streaming and blog updates. On-demand streaming video and photos of the launch will be available shortly after liftoff. Follow countdown coverage on NASA’s Artemis blog at:

Live NASA TV coverage leading to launch will begin with commentary of tanking operations at 12 a.m. Monday, Aug. 29, followed by launch coverage beginning at 6:30 a.m. Launch coverage will stream on the NASA website, as well as Facebook, Twitch, NASA YouTube, and in 4k on NASA’s UHD channel. For NASA TV downlink information, schedule, and links to streaming video, visit:

On launch day, a “clean feed” will be carried on the NASA TV media channel featuring views of the rocket and audio from a commentator in the Launch Control Center throughout and a single channel of mission audio beginning 15 minutes before launch.

On launch day, countdown activities with audio of the launch control commentator will be available starting at 12 a.m. by dialing 1-844-467-4685; Passcode: 687630; listeners will hear a single channel of mission audio beginning 15 minutes before launch. Full audio from the launch broadcast will begin at 6:30 a.m. and will be carried on 321-867-1220, -1240, -1260 or –7135.

Launch also will be available on local amateur VHF radio frequency 146.940 MHz and UHF radio frequency 444.925 MHz, FM mode, heard within Brevard County on the Space Coast.

NASA Launch Coverage in Spanish

NASA’s broadcast of the launch in Spanish will include interviews with Hispanic members of the mission and live commentary.

The show, which will begin at 7:30 a.m. Monday, Aug. 29, will be available on NASA en español’s YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook accounts, and will continue approximately 15 minutes after liftoff. Mission coverage will then follow on the NASA en español social media channels.

Media and educational institutions interested in sharing the stream of the show can contact María José Viñas at: maria-jose.vinasgarcia@nasa.gov.

Attend Launch Virtually

Members of the public can register to attend the launch virtually. NASA’s virtual guest program for the mission includes curated launch resources, notifications about related opportunities or changes, and a stamp for the NASA virtual guest passport following a successful launch.

Virtual NASA Social

NASA invites the public to join the Artemis I social event on Facebook. Stay up to date on the latest mission activities, interact with Artemis experts in real-time, and watch the live launch broadcast with an interactive chat.

Watch, Engage on Social Media

Stay connected with the mission and let people know you are following the launch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram with #Artemis. Follow and tag these accounts:

Twitter: @NASA, NASAArtemis
Facebook: NASA, NASAArtemis
Instagram: NASA, NASAArtemis

Through Artemis missions, NASA will land the first woman and the first person of color on the Moon, paving the way for a long-term lunar exploration and serving as a steppingstone to send astronauts to Mars.

For more information about the Artemis I mission, visit:

Para obtener información sobre cobertura en español en el Centro Espacial Kennedy o si desea solicitar entrevistas en español, comuníquese con Antonia Jaramillo at: antonia.jaramillobotero@nasa.gov or 321-501-8425.

-end-

Let's hope when Artemis 1 is launched its' SRBs don't go boom due to the excessively long time they've been stacked on ML-1.

As someone who can remember the Challenger disaster with it's solid rocket boosters on that day back in January 1986, let us wish that the same thing does not happen to the SLS when it lifts off the pad.

Shaun the Sheep to be a passenger on Artemis-1.

So Wallace and Gromit will be on the actual lander? It would be a grand day out for all mankind.
Better not forget the crackers!

Wha... what? What the heck are they doing flying an empty capsule around the moon in 2022 when they managed to get 3 actual men there using 1969 technology? What? They forgot everything? Materials science has gone backwards? Computers have become larger and less capable?
Ummm... no one that actually worked on building any of that equipment is still building spacecraft.

Most of the design engineers and senior fabrication managers/foremen are dead from old age.

Unless they had decided to build exact-duplicate Apollo capsules using exactly the same materials, design, and manufacturing techniques, they simply HAVE to make a test-flight of the new capsule before any human is allowed to go to space in one, just to make sure they didn't screw up in any of the millions of design/fabrication/assembly steps involving any of the many thousands of parts... as well as the design of the whole.

Let's hope when Artemis 1 is launched its' SRBs don't go boom due to the excessively long time they've been stacked on ML-1.

As someone who can remember the Challenger disaster with it's solid rocket boosters on that day back in January 1986, let us wish that the same thing does not happen to the SLS when it lifts off the pad.
That disaster was caused by ice forming in the booster joints... pig-headedly aided by senior managers thinking that the go/no-go decision was a "majority vote" issue where the systems/life-support, etc engineers saying their systems were good to go could outvote the propulsion engineers who unanimously said DON'T go!

I hardly think ice will be a factor here... but if NASA forgot (or has abandoned) their post-Challenger change to the "even one dissent means no launch" policy, then all bets are off for some other screw-up.

At least on that configuration they have an Apollo type escape system, but I share your concerns. In my view, no astronaut launch should ever involve SRBs again.

That disaster was caused by ice forming in the booster joints... pig-headedly aided by senior managers thinking that the go/no-go decision was a "majority vote" issue where the systems/life-support, etc engineers saying their systems were good to go could outvote the propulsion engineers who unanimously said DON'T go!

I hardly think ice will be a factor here... but if NASA forgot (or has abandoned) their post-Challenger change to the "even one dissent means no launch" policy, then all bets are off for some other screw-up.

"By God Thiokol, when do you want me to launch ? in April ?" (no comment)

At least on that configuration they have an Apollo type escape system, but I share your concerns. In my view, no astronaut launch should ever involve SRBs again.

I can agree with you on that point martinbayer, I would have thought that NASA would have designed the SLS without the need for solid rocket boosters.

I can agree with you on that point martinbayer, I would have thought that NASA would have designed the SLS without the need for solid rocket boosters.
The whole (misguided) point of SLS was to reuse as much of the Shuttle design as possible, so in theory you have Shuttle SRBs and a Shuttle ET with SSMEs bolted on the bottom and a payload on the top. Of course, that means a totally different load path through the ET and the SRBs had to get even bigger. But hey, it's all "Shuttle-derived."

I do wonder if it wouldn't have been a lot faster/cheaper (though not as optimal) to do something more like Shuttle-C with the exact original Shuttle stack and a cargo fairing where the Orbiter went (with or without a recoverable SSME section).

Ummm... no one that actually worked on building any of that equipment is still building spacecraft.

Most of the design engineers and senior fabrication managers/foremen are dead from old age.

Unless they had decided to build exact-duplicate Apollo capsules using exactly the same materials, design, and manufacturing techniques, they simply HAVE to make a test-flight of the new capsule before any human is allowed to go to space in one, just to make sure they didn't screw up in any of the millions of design/fabrication/assembly steps involving any of the many thousands of parts... as well as the design of the whole.

I don't believe that.

To be more precise: it was not caused by ice but by low temperature at the launch site. As a result of that the cold O-rings between the various segments of the SRB became less flexible, or even brittle, and did not seal properly anymore already before the launch.
Engineers who warned for that were ignored and the Challenger launch went ahead.

Surely they managed to develop a better O-ring material since then .......... right?

View: https://twitter.com/nasagroundsys/status/1562927282439835672

Teams have completed closeouts on @NASA_SLS boosters and finished work inside @NASA_Orion. Next, engineers will close launch abort system hatch and retract the crew access arm. Weather is currently 70% favorable for launch on Aug. 29. Read more: https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/08/25/launch-preparations-remain-on-track-weather-70-favorable/
View: https://twitter.com/emrekelly/status/1562940756129488898

Just spoke with John Blevins, NASA's chief SLS engineer, on Monday's Artemis I: "Our teams are planned and shifted and people are in place. Today, we loaded hydrazine on the boosters and everything else is completely ready. There are no functions left for the rocket."
View: https://twitter.com/Maxar/status/1562904974962860034?

NASA is getting ready for the launch of the #SLS rocket which is currently scheduled for August 29. Known as #Artemis1, this will be its first test flight with an uncrewed Orion spacecraft. Here is our #satellite view from today, August 25, of the rocket at Launch Complex 39B.

Countdown to launch has now started. Two hour launch window opens at 13:33 BST.

SLS/Artemis 1: Countdown clocks started ticking today at 10:23am EDT (1423 UTC) for the Monday launch of NASA's Space Launch System moon rocket; the countdown began at the L-minus 46-hour 10-minute mark, leading to the opening of a 2-hour launch window at 8:33am Monday

View: https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1563534173972729859?

Roll on launch day. I wonder what the weather forecast will be like on Monday? Any ideas as to the long range forecast will be like.

Countdown to launch has now started. Two hour launch window opens at 13:33 BST.

SLS/Artemis 1: Countdown clocks started ticking today at 10:23am EDT (1423 UTC) for the Monday launch of NASA's Space Launch System moon rocket; the countdown began at the L-minus 46-hour 10-minute mark, leading to the opening of a 2-hour launch window at 8:33am Monday

View: https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1563534173972729859?

Roll on launch day. I wonder what the weather forecast will be like on Monday? Any ideas as to the long range forecast will be like.
80% go at the start of the window. Falling to 60% later in the window.

View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1563874867589648385

Update from NASA on Saturday's lightning strikes at the SLS rocket's launch pad: "Everything to date looks good from a vehicle perspective."

View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1563875315709091840

Jeff Spaulding, Artemis I senior test director, says power-ups and other activities including battery charging have gone really well. NASA is also planning for the potential of more storms this afternoon, performing work to get ahead of the countdown.

View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1563875315688083457

Spaulding: now pressurizing helium tanks. Pulling in some of the work that was to be done later today due to possible weather this afternoon..

View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1563876233829564416

Spaulding: clear pad at 8:30 pm ET tonight. Then 2 1/2 hour built in hold at 10:53 pm ET. At 11:53 pm expect "go" for cryo load. Built in 30 min hold at T-10 min. Launch window opens at 8:33 am ET.
View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1563878877000339457

Q-when do the engines start and exactly when is launch?

Spaulding: engines start at 6.8 seconds before liftoff, which is exactly 8:33:00 am ET.

View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1563882000431431681

Q-when will you know if launch can go from weather perspective?
Lovin: 5 am is the pivotal time for weather development and we'll be able to see the showers we have and where they're headed.