Artemis I – Flight Day 26: Orion splashes down, concluding historic Artemis I mission

NASA’s Orion spacecraft successfully completed a parachute-assisted splashdown in the Pacific Ocean at 9:40 PST, 12:40 EST as the final major milestone of the Artemis I mission. Engineers will perform several additional tests while Orion is in the water and before powering down the spacecraft and handing it over to the recovery team aboard the USS Portland.

At the direction of the NASA recovery director, Navy divers and other team members in several inflatable boats will approach the spacecraft. When Orion is ready to be pulled into the ship’s well deck at the waterline, the divers will attach a cable, called the winch line, to pull the spacecraft into the ship and up to four additional tending lines to attach points on the crew module. The winch will pull Orion into a specially designed cradle inside the ship’s well deck and the other lines will control the motion of the spacecraft. Once Orion is positioned above the cradle assembly, technicians will drain the well deck and secure it on the cradle.

Once aboard the vessel, teams will take the spacecraft to U.S. Naval Base San Diego and soon return it to NASA’s Kennedy Space Center for inspection. Technicians in Florida will thoroughly inspect Orion, retrieving data recorded on board, removing onboard payloads, and more.

Artemis I was the first integrated test of NASA’s deep space exploration systems – the Orion spacecraft, SLS rocket, and the supporting ground systems – and the first in a series of increasingly complex missions at the Moon. Through Artemis missions, NASA will establish a long-term lunar presence for scientific discovery and prepare for human missions to Mars.

NASA will host a post-splashdown news conference is targeted for 3:30 p.m. EST

Participants include:

Bill Nelson, NASA administrator
Jim Free, NASA associate administrator for the Exploration System Development Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters
Vanessa Wyche, director, Johnson
Janet Petro, director, Kennedy
Mike Sarafin, mission manager, NASA Headquarters
Howard Hu, Orion Program manager, Johnson
Emily Nelson, chief flight director, Johnson
Melissa Jones, recovery director, Kennedy

Author cballart
Posted on De

Can anyone tell what those helicopters are I missed it and they are bit indistinct.
so far i saw, they look like Sikorsky SH-60 Seahawk
They follow with various Cameras the landing of capsule and debris.
one had to make close inspection and blow a way possible ammoniac vapours from Orion capsule.
the other had to located a cover from Capsule that protected the parachute, jettison during landing.

NASA are expecting to name the crew of Artemis II in a few months' time (early 2023).

Artemis II still TBD but the interval between EM-1 and -2 will be in the 2-year-ish order of magnitude - though noting they are trying to move things along quicker. They want to have Artemis I successfully completed and reviewed before committing to a date for the crewed mission (plus there's the avionics reuse constraint we know about, whose refurbishment clock has just finally started ticking down).

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1602046948487331840

Sarafin: not tracking any issues that took place from service module jettison to splashdown. Will still have to review data collected during the blackouts, though.

View: https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1602049686730334209

Hu and Sarafin say that it’s still early in the data analysis from reentry, but overall “very happy” with the performance of the thermal protection system on Orion. Will need to look at data collected during blackout, which coincided with peak heating.

Most important news!!!

View: https://twitter.com/shaunthesheep/status/1602000122417651712

Baa-rilliant news: Shaun is safe and sound and back on Earth after his mission to the Moon! Shaun’s incredible journey concluded with a splashdown off the San Diego coast, successfully completing the Artemis I mission on the Orion spacecraft. Welcome home, Shaun! #Artemis1
Next flight they need Feathers McGraw, or else… 13EC2D99-6069-4942-A663-61FFD03ADD43.jpeg

Didn't know they were going to do this, very interesting.

As far as I know Apollo-11 did use the skip reentry profile.

On another note on tonight's six o'clock news in the article on the completion of Artemis-1's mission it showed time-lapse photographs showing the separation of the CM from the SM.

Just saw this article on the Space.com website about Artemis 2 and why it would take so long to reach the Moon after the success of Artemis 1. I do not know why there is a long wait between launches. But it could be down to the fact that NASA will probably have to examine the data from Orion before okaying the next launch, and that could possibly explain the 2024 launch date.

https://www.space.com/nasa-artemis-2-mission-2024-why-so-long

so. i do have a question because i am unable to find this information that clearly explains it.....

what exactly is the plan for ARTEMIS II and III? upon landing i mean. like what are we planning to set up exactly? i understand that its a "permanent presence".
Glass dome?
plastic dome?
things of the like....
they only have two years to do it. as far as im aware ARTEMIS II will be exactly like Apollo. but is it just a landing and return? and then more for the third mission?
sorry. just need a bit of clarification on the game plan here.

congrats to NASA for actually pulling this off without a hitch. i doubted it :D