Armstrong Whitworth AW.167 Transport Airliner Project

Another photo of the A.W.167 in model form gives a better idea of the annular intake around the fuselage, ahead of the tail:

Attachments

• A.W.167 (Air Pictorial, October 1955).jpg
    A.W.167 (Air Pictorial, October 1955).jpg
    140 KB · Views: 670
Thank you Victor,and by that time,I couldn't imagine the locations of engines.

Are any technical data of the AW.167 project known?

It seems logical enough that Kurt Tank chose such an exotic layout for his IAe.36 in 1950, when the only engines available for him were the Nenes, not powerful enough but with large diameter... But why A.W. chose it five years later, with Sapphire engines? Does anybody know their reasons?

Good question my dear Redstar,

you are right,no logical reason for that.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1955/1955%20-%201322.html

Attachments

• A.png
    A.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 240
hesham said:
Good question my dear Redstar,

you are right,no logical reason for that.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1955/1955%20-%201322.html

Thanks Hesham! Not so much, but better than nothing ;). At least passenger capacity is known.

The former head of AW project office and thier chief engineer, Dr Alan Troughton contributed to article on the AW681 not so long ago. Indeed I'm sure I've read this configuration is credited to him. I guess he would be very old now but just maybe.

The layout chosen was probably the most aerodynamic way to get five jet engines on the airframe without using a mix of podded and tail engines. Remember during that time British designers were wary of underwing nacelles and preferred buried engines for reduced drag (at the cost of easy access at some times). The AW.167 would have had much better access to the engines though than wingroot engines.

My dear Redstar,

here is a more Info.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 160
Many thanks Hesham! Can I ask you about the source?