• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Armed to the teeth: B-70 with underwing Skybolts and SRAM internally

A Tentative Fleet Plan

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
alongside the well publicised 60-megaton 25,000-pound Class A thermonuclear weapon
:eek: :eek: :eek: Edward Teller wet dream, I presume ?
Nope, a definite SAC requirement in 1956 which was being listed as armament for the B-70 as late as 1960. The yield/weight ratio is pretty comparable to the Mk-41, and the AEC was confident it could produce such a weapon.

It was intended for the counter-air role to reliably crater runways. I've realised that this isn't put a crater on the runway, in the way that we've become used to thinking about the task since the 1970s and conventional counter-air weapons. It's put the runway in a crater - the cratering radius for a 60 megaton ground burst is such that if it's delivered to the midpoint of a 10,000-foot runway, the crater will reach both ends.

I must put something up about the US thermonuclear weapons, though I'm not sure where it would best fit.
Flashback?

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'm glad it wasn't tested, really...

RLBH

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
I'm glad it wasn't tested, really...
I think you're right - it would probably have been a full-yield (i.e. dirty) test from a barge. The fission yield would have been on the order of 30 to 40 megatons and there would have been significant crater excavation. The resulting fallout would be horrendous.

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Tsar bomba shook the entire planet but was (somewhat paradoxically) pretty clean, as far as fallout went...