111.1 KB · Views: 515
  • p-4.jpg
    p-4.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 430
A jet powered An-12 ? The mock-up still seems to have
turbo prop engines at the right wing. Any dimensions for
a comparison ?

Hi Everyone!

I really like that Antonov jet transport! (That should hold me nicely until I get more info on the Antonov AN-50.)
Thanks!

Chuck

A jet powered An-12 ? The mock-up still seems to have
turbo prop engines at the right wing. Any dimensions for
a comparison ?

No, it was a jet-powered An-8! But there was a jet-assisted An-12 - the STOL transport An-40, built as a mock-up in 1964 or 1965. It has to be equipped with four turboprops and four additional jet engines. A mock-up picture was published in Ukrainian "Aviatsiya i vremya" 1/1995, but it was of poor quality (due to the quality of the used paper & print :'().

My dears,

we most remember the Antonov An-400 four turboprops engines
heavy transport aircraft which led to An-124 aircraft.

boxkite said:
No, it was a jet-powered An-8! But there was a jet-assisted An-12 - the STOL transport An-40, built as a mock-up in 1964 or 1965. It has to be equipped with four turboprops and four additional jet engines. A mock-up picture was published in Ukrainian "Aviatsiya i vremya" 1/1995, but it was of poor quality (due to the quality of the used paper & print :'().

Attachments

• An-40.jpg
    An-40.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 438
The Egyptians actually did this...kind of. When they were built the Helwan HA300 fighter, the needed a test bed for it's engine. Without any assistance from Antonov, they pulled the inner port turboprop off an An-12 and made a pod for the jet enigne. And it did fly. Apparently, the Egyptian pilot for the tests of this engine would not fly the plane unless the engine designer, a German named Brander, flew with him for the first flight. They both lived.

Slightly different versions (colors, quality) of pictures posted above, both initially posted by ucon in August 01, 2008 in a topic that has since been split:

More detailed info and a lot of pix in www.avicopress.ru

Attachments

• P-1-1.jpg
    P-1-1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 92
  • P-1-3.jpg
    P-1-3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 93