• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Antonov AN-50

ChuckAnderson

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

This concerns a Soviet unbuilt design, the Antonov AN-50, a jet derivitive of the AN-26.

The only information I have on this aircraft is a b&w photo that I scanned, from the book:

The Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft 1875-1995
p. 32
Author: Bill Gunston
Original Publishers: Osprey, Great Britain, 1995
Publishers: Mototbooks International, 1995
Copyright Bill Gunston, 1995

If anyone can find a 3-view line drawing and/or any other information on the AN-50, could you please post this information on this website? Thanks!

Chuck

Attachments

• An-50-.JPG
    An-50-.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 621

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

I have not any drawing to this aircraft,but let us search about anther little known
aircraft to that company.
we know AN-11 a motorized version of A-11 sailplane and AN-13 single seat
light jet sporting aircraft which was based on A-13 all metal sailplane,
but do anyone hear about Antonov delta wing jet fighter project of 1946 ?.

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

no one know this fighter project.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the Antonov M (?) fighter is quite well documented. I can post something later.

hesham

Reaction score
Thanks overscan,

please if you have a drawing to it show me,because I think there is anther
fighter project to this company I read about it in internet.

ChuckAnderson

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if we could also keep the Antonov AN-50 under consideration as well.
I'm still searching for three-views and other information on the AN-50, and if anyone can find this or any other information on this aircraft, could you please post it on this website?
Thanks!!

Chuck

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Chuck,

I’m also looking for a three-view drawing of the An-50 but it seems nobody is able to help. So we have to wait for an Antonov encyclopedia, although I suspect there is no one working on such a publication :(. Here is another thread for you, Chuck (following your posts I assume you are very interested in transport and large single-engined aircraft projects):

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=828.0

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, I've searching over here and found nothing so far. AVIKO-PRESS and Restart+ had plans for Antonov's encyclopedia, but nothing moved further than volume 1 for the last 3 or 4 years.

boxkite

Reaction score
Chuck,

No success to find a three-view drawing, but a little bit around the development history from “Antonov’s Turboprop Twins An-24/An-26/An-30/An-32” (Red Star Vol 12) by Gordon/Komissarov/Komissarov (ISBN 1-85780-153-9)

An-50 airliner project

In the mid-1960s the ‚Progress’ Zaporozhye Engine Design Bureau, as Aleksandr G. Ivchenko’s OKB-478 was known since 1965, began development of a small commercial turbofan designated AI-25. Rated at 1,500 kgp (3,300 lb st) for take-off, this was the first Soviet engine in this category; its design relied both on the American Pratt & Whitney JT7 turbofan and on the Soviet Kuznetsov NK-8 turbofan. The AI-25 emerged as a highly successful design, the team which created it being awarded the coveted Lenin Prize by the Soviet government; it was the first Soviet aero engine to be certificated to international standards.
The new engine immediately caught the attention of the Antonov OKB. Even as the AI-25 was undergoing trials, the Antonov OKB proposed the An-50 airliner. This was a derivative of the An-24V powered by four AI-25s; the engines were housed in paired nacelles carried on sharply swept pylons ahead of the wing leading edge à la Boeing B-52.
However, Aleksandr S. Yakovlev, head of the Moscow-based OKB-155, used his influence as Deputy Minister of Aircraft Industry to convince the Soviet leader Leonid I. Brezhnev that his Yak-40 trijet – powered by the same AI-25 turbofan – was the only viable option as a jet feederliner. The An-50 remained a ‘paper aeroplane’, and it was not until the advent of the An-74TK-200 in 1993 that jet-powered Antonov airliners became a reality.

I hope that makes you feel a little bit better ;).

PlanesPictures

Reaction score
I will ask if I can release some my older pictures and drawings of these planes

Jozef

ChuckAnderson

Reaction score
boxkite said:
Chuck,

No success to find a three-view drawing, but a little bit around the development history from “Antonov’s Turboprop Twins An-24/An-26/An-30/An-32” (Red Star Vol 12) by Gordon/Komissarov/Komissarov (ISBN 1-85780-153-9)

An-50 airliner project

In the mid-1960s the ‚Progress’ Zaporozhye Engine Design Bureau, as Aleksandr G. Ivchenko’s OKB-478 was known since 1965, began development of a small commercial turbofan designated AI-25. Rated at 1,500 kgp (3,300 lb st) for take-off, this was the first Soviet engine in this category; its design relied both on the American Pratt & Whitney JT7 turbofan and on the Soviet Kuznetsov NK-8 turbofan. The AI-25 emerged as a highly successful design, the team which created it being awarded the coveted Lenin Prize by the Soviet government; it was the first Soviet aero engine to be certificated to international standards.
The new engine immediately caught the attention of the Antonov OKB. Even as the AI-25 was undergoing trials, the Antonov OKB proposed the An-50 airliner. This was a derivative of the An-24V powered by four AI-25s; the engines were housed in paired nacelles carried on sharply swept pylons ahead of the wing leading edge à la Boeing B-52.
However, Aleksandr S. Yakovlev, head of the Moscow-based OKB-155, used his influence as Deputy Minister of Aircraft Industry to convince the Soviet leader Leonid I. Brezhnev that his Yak-40 trijet – powered by the same AI-25 turbofan – was the only viable option as a jet feederliner. The An-50 remained a ‘paper aeroplane’, and it was not until the advent of the An-74TK-200 in 1993 that jet-powered Antonov airliners became a reality.

I hope that makes you feel a little bit better ;).

Hi boxkite!

Thanks so much for the information! I'm very grateful for any and all information I can get!

Chuck

ChuckAnderson

Reaction score
PlanesPictures said:
I will ask if I can release some my older pictures and drawings of these planes

Jozef

Hi Jozef!

Thanks so much for your offer of more information!
One thing that I plan on doing with the information on the Antonov AN-50 is producing an illustration (and perhaps later a scale model) of this aircraft in the colours and markings of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), as a weather research aircraft.
There are even some universities that operate high-performance aircraft for weather research. I'll always remember seeing (up close, with my own two eyes), and F-101B Voodoo (with a very long, red and white striped probe in the nose), that belonged to the University of Colorado. (And there I was, with no camera!!!)

Chuck

PlanesPictures

Reaction score
Last week I saw on some webpage (maybe I will find bookmark, too) scaned my pictures of these pane from some older Krilja Rodiny (Avico Press) where certainly will be some infos, too.
Do you know Z-Print technology. In short time on my web page I will offer very short way from 3D models to short runs. Only one problem no free time.

Jozef

PlanesPictures

Reaction score
I think I'm little wrong I thought plane only with two jet engines.
Some scan you canl see on this webpage

http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?KRR-200309

Jozef

boxkite

Reaction score
An-50 performances from “Istoriya konstruktsiy samolyotov v SSSR 1951-1965gg.”

take-off weight 24,600 kg
cruising speed 490 km/h
service ceiling 9,400 m
take-off run 520 m
landing run 640 m

It seems the Czech website member http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/42836/sid/ac9d83fbbfb26e803f8fdf7afc69b4e1 uses the same source ;).

ChuckAnderson

Reaction score
boxkite said:
An-50 performances from “Istoriya konstruktsiy samolyotov v SSSR 1951-1965gg.”

take-off weight 24,600 kg
cruising speed 490 km/h
service ceiling 9,400 m
take-off run 520 m
landing run 640 m

It seems the Czech website member http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/42836/sid/ac9d83fbbfb26e803f8fdf7afc69b4e1 uses the same source ;).

Hi boxkite!

Thanks so much for continuing to look in to the Antonov AN-50 for me! I really appreciate it! Sounds like we're getting closer and closer.

I always thought that the AN-50 would look pretty nice in the colours and markings of NOAA, (the U.S. National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration) as a weather research aircraft, and with the AN-50 information I'd like to do drawings and perhaps models of this aircraft in NOAA service.

There are also some major universities (such as the University of Colorado), that use high-performance aircraft in weather research (I'm kind of a meteorology buff I guess), and back in 1975 while I was in the USAF, I personally saw up-close an F-101B Voodoo weather research aircraft (in University of Colorado colours and markings) at Buckley Field ANG Base, where we'd stopped on a USAF med-evac flight across the country.

Anyway boxkite, thanks again for your continued help with my search!

Chuck

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Model of Antonov An-50

Source:
https://www.forexdengi.com/threads/68805-grazhdanskaya-aviatsiya/page36

Attachments

• 7784584.jpg
    7784584.jpg