Antonov AN-50

ChuckAnderson

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

This concerns a Soviet unbuilt design, the Antonov AN-50, a jet derivitive of the AN-26.

The only information I have on this aircraft is a b&w photo that I scanned, from the book:

The Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft 1875-1995
p. 32
Author: Bill Gunston
Original Publishers: Osprey, Great Britain, 1995
Publishers: Mototbooks International, 1995
Copyright Bill Gunston, 1995

If anyone can find a 3-view line drawing and/or any other information on the AN-50, could you please post this information on this website? Thanks!

Chuck

Attachments

• An-50-.JPG
    An-50-.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 643
Hi,

I have not any drawing to this aircraft,but let us search about anther little known
aircraft to that company.
we know AN-11 a motorized version of A-11 sailplane and AN-13 single seat
light jet sporting aircraft which was based on A-13 all metal sailplane,
but do anyone hear about Antonov delta wing jet fighter project of 1946 ?.

Thanks overscan,

please if you have a drawing to it show me,because I think there is anther
fighter project to this company I read about it in internet.

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if we could also keep the Antonov AN-50 under consideration as well.
I'm still searching for three-views and other information on the AN-50, and if anyone can find this or any other information on this aircraft, could you please post it on this website?
Thanks!!

Chuck

Chuck,

I’m also looking for a three-view drawing of the An-50 but it seems nobody is able to help. So we have to wait for an Antonov encyclopedia, although I suspect there is no one working on such a publication :(. Here is another thread for you, Chuck (following your posts I assume you are very interested in transport and large single-engined aircraft projects):

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=828.0

Guys, I've searching over here and found nothing so far. AVIKO-PRESS and Restart+ had plans for Antonov's encyclopedia, but nothing moved further than volume 1 for the last 3 or 4 years.

Chuck,

No success to find a three-view drawing, but a little bit around the development history from “Antonov’s Turboprop Twins An-24/An-26/An-30/An-32” (Red Star Vol 12) by Gordon/Komissarov/Komissarov (ISBN 1-85780-153-9)

An-50 airliner project

In the mid-1960s the ‚Progress’ Zaporozhye Engine Design Bureau, as Aleksandr G. Ivchenko’s OKB-478 was known since 1965, began development of a small commercial turbofan designated AI-25. Rated at 1,500 kgp (3,300 lb st) for take-off, this was the first Soviet engine in this category; its design relied both on the American Pratt & Whitney JT7 turbofan and on the Soviet Kuznetsov NK-8 turbofan. The AI-25 emerged as a highly successful design, the team which created it being awarded the coveted Lenin Prize by the Soviet government; it was the first Soviet aero engine to be certificated to international standards.
The new engine immediately caught the attention of the Antonov OKB. Even as the AI-25 was undergoing trials, the Antonov OKB proposed the An-50 airliner. This was a derivative of the An-24V powered by four AI-25s; the engines were housed in paired nacelles carried on sharply swept pylons ahead of the wing leading edge à la Boeing B-52.
However, Aleksandr S. Yakovlev, head of the Moscow-based OKB-155, used his influence as Deputy Minister of Aircraft Industry to convince the Soviet leader Leonid I. Brezhnev that his Yak-40 trijet – powered by the same AI-25 turbofan – was the only viable option as a jet feederliner. The An-50 remained a ‘paper aeroplane’, and it was not until the advent of the An-74TK-200 in 1993 that jet-powered Antonov airliners became a reality.

I hope that makes you feel a little bit better ;).

boxkite said:
Chuck,

No success to find a three-view drawing, but a little bit around the development history from “Antonov’s Turboprop Twins An-24/An-26/An-30/An-32” (Red Star Vol 12) by Gordon/Komissarov/Komissarov (ISBN 1-85780-153-9)

An-50 airliner project

In the mid-1960s the ‚Progress’ Zaporozhye Engine Design Bureau, as Aleksandr G. Ivchenko’s OKB-478 was known since 1965, began development of a small commercial turbofan designated AI-25. Rated at 1,500 kgp (3,300 lb st) for take-off, this was the first Soviet engine in this category; its design relied both on the American Pratt & Whitney JT7 turbofan and on the Soviet Kuznetsov NK-8 turbofan. The AI-25 emerged as a highly successful design, the team which created it being awarded the coveted Lenin Prize by the Soviet government; it was the first Soviet aero engine to be certificated to international standards.
The new engine immediately caught the attention of the Antonov OKB. Even as the AI-25 was undergoing trials, the Antonov OKB proposed the An-50 airliner. This was a derivative of the An-24V powered by four AI-25s; the engines were housed in paired nacelles carried on sharply swept pylons ahead of the wing leading edge à la Boeing B-52.
However, Aleksandr S. Yakovlev, head of the Moscow-based OKB-155, used his influence as Deputy Minister of Aircraft Industry to convince the Soviet leader Leonid I. Brezhnev that his Yak-40 trijet – powered by the same AI-25 turbofan – was the only viable option as a jet feederliner. The An-50 remained a ‘paper aeroplane’, and it was not until the advent of the An-74TK-200 in 1993 that jet-powered Antonov airliners became a reality.

I hope that makes you feel a little bit better ;).

Hi boxkite!

Thanks so much for the information! I'm very grateful for any and all information I can get!

Chuck

PlanesPictures said:
I will ask if I can release some my older pictures and drawings of these planes

Jozef

Hi Jozef!

Thanks so much for your offer of more information!
One thing that I plan on doing with the information on the Antonov AN-50 is producing an illustration (and perhaps later a scale model) of this aircraft in the colours and markings of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), as a weather research aircraft.
There are even some universities that operate high-performance aircraft for weather research. I'll always remember seeing (up close, with my own two eyes), and F-101B Voodoo (with a very long, red and white striped probe in the nose), that belonged to the University of Colorado. (And there I was, with no camera!!!)

Chuck

Last week I saw on some webpage (maybe I will find bookmark, too) scaned my pictures of these pane from some older Krilja Rodiny (Avico Press) where certainly will be some infos, too.
Do you know Z-Print technology. In short time on my web page I will offer very short way from 3D models to short runs. Only one problem no free time.

Jozef

I think I'm little wrong I thought plane only with two jet engines.
Some scan you canl see on this webpage

http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?KRR-200309

Jozef

An-50 performances from “Istoriya konstruktsiy samolyotov v SSSR 1951-1965gg.”

take-off weight 24,600 kg
cruising speed 490 km/h
service ceiling 9,400 m
take-off run 520 m
landing run 640 m

It seems the Czech website member http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/42836/sid/ac9d83fbbfb26e803f8fdf7afc69b4e1 uses the same source ;).

boxkite said:
An-50 performances from “Istoriya konstruktsiy samolyotov v SSSR 1951-1965gg.”

take-off weight 24,600 kg
cruising speed 490 km/h
service ceiling 9,400 m
take-off run 520 m
landing run 640 m

It seems the Czech website member http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/42836/sid/ac9d83fbbfb26e803f8fdf7afc69b4e1 uses the same source ;).

Hi boxkite!

Thanks so much for continuing to look in to the Antonov AN-50 for me! I really appreciate it! Sounds like we're getting closer and closer.

I always thought that the AN-50 would look pretty nice in the colours and markings of NOAA, (the U.S. National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration) as a weather research aircraft, and with the AN-50 information I'd like to do drawings and perhaps models of this aircraft in NOAA service.

There are also some major universities (such as the University of Colorado), that use high-performance aircraft in weather research (I'm kind of a meteorology buff I guess), and back in 1975 while I was in the USAF, I personally saw up-close an F-101B Voodoo weather research aircraft (in University of Colorado colours and markings) at Buckley Field ANG Base, where we'd stopped on a USAF med-evac flight across the country.

Anyway boxkite, thanks again for your continued help with my search!

Chuck

Model of Antonov An-50

Source:
https://www.forexdengi.com/threads/68805-grazhdanskaya-aviatsiya/page36

Attachments

• 7784584.jpg
    7784584.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 163