Aircraft with air intakes like Dassault Rafale's air intakes?

BESTUZHEV

Su-57 is the best fighter ever built :-)
Reaction score
Hi,
Can you suggest projects of aircraft, the shape and the location of the air intakes of which is similar to the shape of Dassault Rafale's air intakes, since I have not found built aircraft with such air intakes, so please contact here (also attach drawings of such aircraft if possible)?
Sorry for the Google translation :)

Attachments

• rafale_for_forum.jpg
    rafale_for_forum.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 86
There not much in real build aircraft
here some come close to Rafale

The Grumman A-6
600px-A-6B_Intruder_of_VA-75_aboard_USS_Saratoga_%28CVA-60%29_in_1971.jpg

General Dynamic F-111
F-111B_CVA-43_approach_July1968.jpg

In fact the A-6 (Grumman) was a direct inspiration for the Rafale intakes and fronnt facia as this arrangement provides a reduced frontal RCS.

The 1st generation F/A-18A/B and F/A-18C/D inlets are somewhat similar and may have been an influence on the approach chosen for the Rafale.View attachment 639420

CF-18A LERX slot vents created airflow problems. Note the fence that was retrofitted to straighten airflow. Canadian CF-18s needed strengthened vertical fins to survive turbulence generated by LERX slots.

I think the vortices off the LEX caused the problems.

It was indeed the vortex off of the LEX causing the added stress on the vertical tails. The fence was added to correct it. I don't know if it is the vortex off of the fence that changed the flow path of the main vortex or if it basically acted to block part of the vortex that was putting the excess load on the vertical tails. My supersonic wind tunnel lab partner was also a coop student with MAC at the time and he calculated the loads on those fences.

Novi Avion:

Novi13ot.jpg

5.JPG
not to go too far off topic.but I've seen another Novi Avion model that has a more J-10 style intake on the chin.
any explanation on the two different models?

as for Rafale intakes..
since the Hornet was mentioned..
the Tejas might be another? although m ore similar to the Hornet than Raf

In fact the A-6 (Grumman) was a direct inspiration for the Rafale intakes and fronnt facia as this arrangement provides a reduced frontal RCS.

Ok, very late, but how could this be true? The A-6 wasn't really designed for low-RCS, as evidenced by the giant dish reflector behind that nose radome.

I don't think that search radars use the same frequency band as the onboard ones; that for many planes.

I don't think that search radars use the same frequency band as the onboard ones; that for many planes.

Frequency isn't the main problem. It's just general geometry. If you've looked behind the radome of an A-6, it's just a vertical bulkhead and a mass of antennas amd right angle brackets/corner reflectors. There is nothing stealthy about that plane at any frequency. Which makes sense when you consider that it dates to the 1950s, before RCS shaping was even a thing. If the intakes on the A-6 do anything to limit RCS, it's purely by accident.

1648344729827.png

I don't think that it was intentional either. The story goes that, as it was observed with A-6 the RCS was improved with such configuration, Rafale engineers went for it, among other design trades.