Aircraft with air intakes like Dassault Rafale's air intakes?

BESTUZHEV

Su-57 is the best fighter ever built :-)
Reaction score
Hi,
Can you suggest projects of aircraft, the shape and the location of the air intakes of which is similar to the shape of Dassault Rafale's air intakes, since I have not found built aircraft with such air intakes, so please contact here (also attach drawings of such aircraft if possible)?
Sorry for the Google translation :)

Attachments

• rafale_for_forum.jpg
    rafale_for_forum.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 29

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
There not much in real build aircraft
here some come close to Rafale

The Grumman A-6
600px-A-6B_Intruder_of_VA-75_aboard_USS_Saratoga_%28CVA-60%29_in_1971.jpg

General Dynamic F-111
F-111B_CVA-43_approach_July1968.jpg

galgot

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
galgot.com
One unique feature is that the upper part of the boundary layer bleed exits over the front wing root/ upper wing side.
-1.jpg
I've read that this has a beneficial effect as it re-energizes the air flow in that area at certain AOA.

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The 1st generation F/A-18A/B and F/A-18C/D inlets are somewhat similar and may have been an influence on the approach chosen for the Rafale. B8E7AA9E-EB5A-474B-ABDB-6969F46FE2F0.jpeg

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
In fact the A-6 (Grumman) was a direct inspiration for the Rafale intakes and fronnt facia as this arrangement provides a reduced frontal RCS.

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The 1st generation F/A-18A/B and F/A-18C/D inlets are somewhat similar and may have been an influence on the approach chosen for the Rafale.View attachment 639420

CF-18A LERX slot vents created airflow problems. Note the fence that was retrofitted to straighten airflow. Canadian CF-18s needed strengthened vertical fins to survive turbulence generated by LERX slots.

Sundog

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I think the vortices off the LEX caused the problems.

It was indeed the vortex off of the LEX causing the added stress on the vertical tails. The fence was added to correct it. I don't know if it is the vortex off of the fence that changed the flow path of the main vortex or if it basically acted to block part of the vortex that was putting the excess load on the vertical tails. My supersonic wind tunnel lab partner was also a coop student with MAC at the time and he calculated the loads on those fences.