AIM-152 AAAM Phoenix replacement projects

Manuducati

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
While searching for more information about this specific aircraft, I've found older pictures with a different color scheme and more AIM-152s. According to the Wiki (yeah, I know) source:

["The aircraft at the March Field Museum is a preproduction A model, serial number BUNO 157990, and it is on loan from the U.S. Navy. It was number 11 of 12 test aircraft built. One of the many important tasks that #11 participated in was on the USS Independence , testing it's suitability for carrier use. It was transferred from General Dynamics - Pomona, along with the ground support equipment seen inside the museum, where it was used to mount missiles for test evaluation. It was towed on its landing gear in the middle of the night along Highway 60 from Pomona to March Field in September of 1992."

March Field Air Museum TDelCoro

October 21, 2012]

So maybe the missing ones and more related items could be inside the museum? If someone lives in the vicinity...

Attachments

• Grumman_YF-14A_Tomcat_(S-N_Buno_157990)_March_Field_Air_Museum_(8153178193).jpg
    Grumman_YF-14A_Tomcat_(S-N_Buno_157990)_March_Field_Air_Museum_(8153178193).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 136

NMaude

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Talking about Phoenix replacements after the AIM-54 were retired where were they stored and have they been dismantled and recycled yet? Come to think of it where are all of the various air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles that have been retired are stored?

Last edited:

TomS

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Talking about Phoenix replacements after the AIM-54 were retired where were they stored and have they been dismantled and recycled yet? Come to think of it where are all of the various air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles that have been retired are stored?

I'd bet money the surviving Phoenix have been scrapped. If not when the F-14s were retired, then certainly as part of the same push that saw the surviving F-14s cut up to keep the from being parted out to Iran. No point in keeping them since nothing but AWG-9/APG-71 could control them.