MANTICORA

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Ai-96 2.jpg

Ai-96 3.png
Ai-96.jpg

Hello everyone. Today I wanted to share one of Japan's heavy tanks, the Aichi 96. Designed sometime after the Type95 heavy tank, Japan delved into producing new tanks in an attempt to fielding them across China. Multiple companies are listed to have taken part. This tank had at least unit built on February 1st, 1937. The Aichi 96 was equipped with 4 cannons, two in the turret, and two in the front hull. The tank was later changed to mount a single 75mm tank gun in the turret. However, which gun is not known. The standard guns labeled were 37's, likely being the same 37's standard used on the Ha-Go. The tank had a length of 9 meters 35 centimeters and weighed 36 tons. The armour of the tank was only labeled to 35mm on the chart. Whether this is meant for total protection of just what the prototype was constructive as (to add armour once model is established) isnt noted. It was crewed by 10 people. This tank was reported to have been sent to southern China by 1938. However, details havent been found at this time. Something additional to note is the manufacturer being listed as Aichi. Aichi did not have a prior history of tank development. A popular theory is these series of vehicles might have been designed in cooperation with foreign nations which had been popular at the time and contracted to various factories to build. But once more, details are still needing to be looked into.
Unfortunately thre's all information i found almost 2 months.If you got more informayion contact me patinghjohn@gmail.com

Iirc according to Seon Eun-Ae, according to the archived documents she saw the tank had 2 37mm guns in the turret and 2 in the hull, although I always see it depicted with one in the back of the turret. At some point one of the 37mm guns was swapped for a 75mm of a nonspecified type

Iirc according to Seon Eun-Ae, according to the archived documents she saw the tank had 2 37mm guns in the turret and 2 in the hull, although I always see it depicted with one in the back of the turret. At some point one of the 37mm guns was swapped for a 75mm of a nonspecified type
The gun projecting out the back of the turret was usually a rifle-caliber (.30" or 7.62 mm) machine gun to clear enemy infantry off the rear deck.
Better tank-infantry cooperation can eliminate the need for a rear-facing MG, because you own infantry keep enemy infantry away from tanks..

Hi.

IJA multi-turret tank design was temporarily cancelled in 1935 after the Type 95 Heavy Tank was rejected. The next official try was the experimental O-I Superheavy Tank which failed to work properly during tests.
All other heavy and superheavy tank designs are nothing but paper tanks. At best these were concept studies by privat ventures or the IJA Technical Bureau but nothing official.

IJA would had never accepted such a large vehicle with 37 mm tank guns only. The Type 95 Heavy Tank had a 70 mm main gun for that reason.

The Ai 96 is afaik a post war what-if idea. Since 1935 IJA tried to simplify their tank and vehicle designs by using standardised components and similar assembly groups, e. g. power plants, suspension parts etc. In my opinion that Ai 96 drawings are so far off these standards that it could also be a german or allied design instead....

The side view reminds me of the Type 95 Light Ha-Go command tank version with its large ring antenna.

jap typ 95 ha-go ringantenne 2.jpg

Yours

tom! ;)

Last edited: