Register here

Author Topic: Aerion SBJ  (Read 33437 times)

Offline Grey Havoc

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • The path not taken.
Re: Aerion SBJ
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 07:21:06 am »
Old Forbes interview regarding the original design:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:29:24 am by Grey Havoc »
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:15 am »
"Aerion Taking Orders for AS2 Supersonic Bizjet"
By Robert Goyer / Published: May 19, 2015

Source:
http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/jets/aerion-taking-orders-as2-supersonic-bizjet#1EiXhqkmSZqd2lxd.99

Aerion announced at EBACE that it is taking position orders for its AS2 supersonic bizjet project and announced pricing for the jet, along with details on the sales program.

Aerion said that it is strengthening its ties with Airbus in a joint definition phase. The first 50 customers

image: http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png
, Aerion said, will get preferential pricing and other benefits, though it declined to specify what those perks would be.

Pricing for those first 50 jets is set at $120 million, a stratospheric figure to be sure but one that might attract a good deal of business. There are a number of jets that cost in excess of $60 million, with strong sales. Gulfstream has already delivered 110 of its G650 ultra-long-range jets.

Aerion also announced the addition of industry veteran Ernie Edwards as its new senior vp and chief commercial officer. Most recently, Edwards headed sales at Embraer Business Aircraft.

Offline royabulgaf

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 05:08:46 pm »
I've been reading Air International and it's predecessor since the mid-60s.  I have seen dozens of projects like this, a man, a plan, and a snappy brochure.  The only change is that the brochures have been replaced by snappy websites, and I will bet my mortgage payment that this project, like 99% of the others, will disappear without any metal or carbon fiber being cut.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 04:48:50 am »
I've been reading Air International and it's predecessor since the mid-60s.  I have seen dozens of projects like this, a man, a plan, and a snappy brochure.  The only change is that the brochures have been replaced by snappy websites, and I will bet my mortgage payment that this project, like 99% of the others, will disappear without any metal or carbon fiber being cut.

Sad though it may sound, I agree 100% with you. And if major league names such as Grumman, Gulfstream, Lockheed and others have never managed to turn their supersonic biz jet projects into flyable prototypes (not yet at least), it is unlikely that a startup company with big ideas and no credentials could pull out such a feat.

And even so, they could very well build a prototype, but that doesn't mean there would be a market for it. Think of all these one-off business aircraft greats (both jet and prop) such as the Beech Triumph, the OMAC 300, the Foxjet, the Visionaire Vantage, the Swearingen SJ30, the Eclipse 500, the Adam A700, the list just goes on and on. None were faulty designs or flawed machines. They all could have served their purpose well. Simply they found no market to justify stepping up to production status. Even the Beech Starship, which attained production and was marketed by a respected, well-established and reliable company, had to be discontinued because it cost too much money!

Offline Silencer1

• That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 08:45:11 am »
Hello!

Aircraft building is a strange business. There many good aircraft, that remains as single prototypes.
And others, looking, even more curious that for the certain reason produced in quantities.
I told, for example, about Piaggio P.180. Unconventional aerodynamic configuration, no too large company - and now we see, how lucky it is!

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 02:08:52 pm »

I agree

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 05:23:57 pm »
One of the showstopper issues for a supersonic business jet is that the United States and Europe currently ban overland supersonic flight.  Aerion claims that their low-boom AS2 design is quiet, but how will the company satisfy governments that the aircraft is quiet enough so that it will be granted an exemption from these bans?

Offline Sundog

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 05:29:56 pm »
One of the showstopper issues for a supersonic business jet is that the United States and Europe currently ban overland supersonic flight.  Aerion claims that their low-boom AS2 design is quiet, but how will the company satisfy governments that the aircraft is quiet enough so that it will be granted an exemption from these bans?

It's designed to cruise at very high subsonic speed overland (Mach=.95?) and then fly supersonically over water. They would like to be able to fly the entire route at supersonic speeds, but they've taken current laws into account.

Offline TomS

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2015, 06:43:51 am »
The article is about a patent that has nothing to do with the Aerion SBJ.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.

Offline mrmalaya

• Consider it done.
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 08:07:23 am »
Flexjet signs for 20  SBJs from Aerion:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/nbaa-flexjet-is-first-fleet-customer-for-aerion-419231/

This is a project with unprecedented momentum.

What engine will they pick I wonder...?

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 01:30:56 pm »

Offline Reaper

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2015, 12:50:09 pm »
Hopefully they now will pick up the pace!

Offline blackkite

• Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2015, 09:49:12 pm »
Hi! You can see AS2 movie in this site.
What is AS1?
Powerplant: 3 turbofans (low bypass ratio), 16,000 lb s.t. each

http://www.aerionsupersonic.com/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:21:53 pm by blackkite »