Register here

Author Topic: B-52 Re-engine Resurfaces As USAF Reviews Studies  (Read 24532 times)

Offline Phos

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
Re: B-52 Re-engine Resurfaces As USAF Reviews Studies
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2019, 12:24:06 pm »
For laughs: a single GE9X has almost half again as much (4/3) thrust as the B-52's current engines, though I've leave picturing how such a thing would be fitted up to you. 

The B-1 is cool and all but there was a time and place for it and those seem gone.  I figure anyone who can shoot down a B-52 can probably shoot down a B-1 nowadays. 

1. money grabbing scam
2. Stealth is obsolete from China, Russian technical developments and at $500B each
No B-2 Spirit (or Raider)bomber can be risked.
3. Whoever gets the re-engine contract needs work and $$$ for "favors."
4. Putting new engines on old B-52s because we need to take money away from
    The Raider program for some dumb reason.
5. Something isn't going right in the Raider program.
None of these are mutually exclusive.  2, though, I find to be unlikely as any advancement that renders stealth ineffective is only going to widen the gap in terms of how much easier a non LO aircraft is to detect.  Look down radar also greatly diminished the utility of flying low as a means of radar penetration.

Offline marauder2048

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • "I should really just relax"
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2019, 12:52:45 pm »
From Hyten's testimony, New START looks likely to fall apart so the outsized loads that the B-1B can't carry internally
because of the treaty-compliant bulkhead would no longer be an issue. 

And then the advantages of better hardening, great loiter and supersonic dash are compelling.
I'm assuming here that B-21 does not have supersonic dash....it was a possibility for NGB but
I doubt it got out of the Gates for the LRS-B scrub.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:44:49 pm by marauder2048 »

Offline sferrin

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2019, 01:33:26 pm »
Not to mention external hard points.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline marauder2048

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2019, 01:48:52 pm »
Not to mention external hard points.

Good point. Did they get as far as a weapons release test on that front?

Offline _Del_

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2019, 02:57:45 pm »
The biggest thing working against the Bone is the fact it has been out of production for over 30 years, and there is not a giant pool of parts sitting out in the desert ready to draw from at essentially no cost and zero leadtime. It affects the already low mission availability rates, and the only fixes involve even larger scale purchases of "new" thirty year old equipment which is largely antiquated and/or fund upgrades to newer available systems.
On a BUFF if most anything breaks, they don't need to ask a contractor to scratch build a new one to spec. They just scavange a part. Faster and cheaper.

On the flipside, when it's flying, the Bone is absolutely more survivable and brings some unique abilities to the table.  I love it. Wish they'd keep it, but I understand the reasons it's on the block.

Offline marauder2048

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2019, 04:50:54 pm »
The replacement part timeline for the B-52 is still pretty dire since AMARG parts often have to be
reworked extensively to be usable. In some cases it's years.

The major difference is that the Air Force kept the production tooling for the B-1B and it has been restored
as needed to produce parts since a good number of the material suppliers at least are still around. 
And there are some AM parts starting to make there way on the B-1B. 

The B-52 does have a larger physical aperture for a new radar though and potentially more
electrical power generation from 8 x new engine.  Though I suppose for a truly fair comparison
there you'd have to look at the various B-1B re-engining schemes that Boeing et al have described.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2019, 06:07:39 pm »
Rolls-Royce McVay on Program to Re-Engine USAF's B-52 Bomber Fleet

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot