Register here

Author Topic: Vought (LTV) A-7 Corsair II Projects  (Read 82321 times)

Offline Mark Nankivil

• Archive Raider
  • Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Vought (LTV) A-7 Corsair II Projects
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2015, 06:25:03 am »
Good Day All -

A few more to go with Bill's A-7 re-engined F110 proposal.

Enjoy the Day!  Mark

Offline Steve Pace

• Aviation History Writer
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2015, 07:59:52 am »
I find it interesting how the subsonic A-7A evolved into the supersonic A-7F which, in some ways, was the rebirth of the original supersonic F8U which evolved into the A-7A. Talk about coming full circle. -SP
When you know you're right, go ahead.

Offline Mark Nankivil

• Archive Raider
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2015, 09:35:38 am »
Hi Steve -

I'm fascinated too with the F/A-7 designation.....

Enjoy the Day!  Mark

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2015, 11:11:03 am »
For the "F/A-7" designation you just need a powerful radar (APG-65) and some other electronics to cover the air to air combat role.
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

Offline stimpy75

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Happy Happy,Joy Joy
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2016, 10:29:22 am »
some more pics i have found in the web

and the side where i found them
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1crb2b74iebvlbjed8u0be95v4&topic=968.0;all

Offline Bill S

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2016, 06:54:58 pm »
some more pics i have found in the web

and the side where i found them
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1crb2b74iebvlbjed8u0be95v4&topic=968.0;all

I have seen those before, like on this forum.  B)

Offline Bill S

• Top Contributor
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2016, 06:59:20 pm »
How about a BQM-34 launching two seat A-7H?
Opens up a number of interesting questions: what would be used to counter the weight,
would the BQM-34 be used to carry Maverick missiles, would the rear seat have been set
up as a drone controller? VAHF drawing.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Archibald

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2018, 01:01:10 am »
Vough proposed an A-7E "French Navy" (A-7E Export) with French carrier suitability (catapult, nose gear tow)

It was proposed with Aerospatiale in 1972.

I have some details, if you want.

There is an interesting connection. We all know that the A-7A and A-7B USN variants had the TF-30. When the Air Force got A-7, they asked Allison to licence-build the RR Spey, as the TF-41. The USN loved the idea, and the A-7E got TF-41, too.
Except the 67 first A-7E, who kept their TF-30 as the TF-41 was not ready (at least according to Wikipedia, but Baugher confirms this).

Now the interesting thing is, on its quest to build the M53, SNECMA spent seven years working on the TF-30. The engine flew between 1964 and 1971 in varied aircrafts
- Mirage III-T
- Mirage III-V VSTOL (01 and 02)
- Mirage F2
- Mirage G
and the aborted Mirage F3.

the final product, the TF-306E, was massively powerful but was dropped in 1969 and SNECMA was told to develop the M53 instead.

Do you get my point ? since SNECMA had all this experience working on TF-30
 and
 since early batches of A-7E still had the TF-30
 a good case coud be make that Aerospatiale A-7E may very well had TF-30, more exactly a non afterburning TF-306E.

this is just speculative, but it makes a lot of sense.

The timeline work: the Mirage F2 stopped flying in 1970, while the Mirage G crashed in January 1971. Aerospatiale proposal was made in 1972, when TF-306E memories at SNECMA were still fresh.

http://www.joebaugher.com/usattack/newa7_5.html

The Navy was sufficiently impressed with the increased power offered by the Spey, and decided to use this engine for its own version of the Corsair II. The designation A-7E was assigned, and this version was to succeed the A-7A in production. However, there were delays in the deliveries of the TF41-A-2 engine specified for the A-7E, so the first 67 aircraft of the order were delivered with the TF30-P-5 engine. These aircraft had all of the other improvements planned for the A-7E, including the improved avionics and the M61 rotary cannon, and were redesignated A-7C after delivery.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:02:49 am by Archibald »
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2018, 04:05:06 pm »
Vought proposed an A-7E "French Navy" (A-7E Export) with French carrier suitability (catapult, nose gear tow)

It was proposed with Aerospatiale in 1972.

To help win the contract, Vought put some of these models on the desks of Marine Nationale procurement officers.  I'm sure there were some Super-Etendard models right behind them, trying to shoot them down ...

Offline Archibald

« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2018, 08:33:03 am »
Interestingly enough, Vought seemed to have been in touch with Dassault in 1968 (Mirage G / V-507 connection) AND Aerospatiale in 1969 (former sud Aviation) for helicopters.
http://www.vought.org/special/html/shelicopter.html

Looks like Vought sold Gazelles, Dauphins and Alouettes in the United States.

The A-7E offer related to Aerospatiale, and now I understand better how the two companies knew each other - through that helicopter deal...
http://www.vought.org/special/html/shelicopter.html

Surely enough, the aerospace world was already pretty small by then.

also Vought had a relation with France since 1939 and the V-156F "wind indicators" followed by F-4U in 1952 and Crusaders in 1964. The A-7E certainly looked like the next logical step.
What Vought got wrong was the company. They should have stuck with Dassault for the A-7E deal, but then again both Jaguar and Mirage 5 were A-7 competitors (Switzerland), so bad idea.

But Aerospatiale was hardly better.
In recent years Le Fana de l'aviation has dug a lot of documents that make clear that from 1964 De Gaulle wanted Dassault for combat aircrafts and state-owned companies for everything else, bar combat aircrafts. Whatever atempts did public companies to move back into the combat aircraft market was thwarted (Breguet was private company, and the Jaguar was different, although Dassault finally ate them for dinner in 1971...)
Among varied examples
- Sud Aviation atempt to bring back the SO-4050 Vautour circa 1965 for Israel (Tsyklon)
was killed by Mirage F2 and even a proposal for Mirage IV
- Sud Aviation Alpha Jet bid (1972)
- Sud Aviation A-7E
Other atempts by Nord Aviation were rejected, too.
All rejected and buried.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:43:03 am by Archibald »
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline Silencer1

• That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2018, 09:54:59 am »
Hello, Bill S!

Opens up a number of interesting questions: what would be used to counter the weight,

Thanks for sharing!

I wonder, if the drone with it's wing requires counterweight - at least at flight. From other hand, during taxiing and take-off it's weight should be taken into account. What's the weight of BQM-34, did you know?

Offline Sundog

« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2018, 11:23:12 am »
Hello, Bill S!

Thanks for sharing!

I wonder, if the drone with it's wing requires counterweight - at least at flight. From other hand, during taxiing and take-off it's weight should be taken into account. What's the weight of BQM-34, did you know?

The weight might have been an issue at rest; maybe they used differential fueling in the wing tanks to counterbalance it until they were flying, as the drones wings should be able to support it once they're in flight. In which case the fuel could be transferred to balance out between the wings before launch.