Yak-36MP

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
This is not Yak-36MP, but Yak-36MP. To be more precise, it is not what we know now as Yak-38, but original production version from Yak-36. Photo of the model is from Tony Buttlers Secret Projects - Fighters book.

Attachments

• Jak-36MP.jpg
    Jak-36MP.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 660
  • Yak-36 proposal.JPG
    Yak-36 proposal.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 452
There's a three-view of another intermediate version in the AIAA case history on Soviet V/stol Fighter Development. The version that book depicts definitely appears to be a blend of Freehand and Forger; Freehand from the wing leading edge/fuselage juncture aft and Forger from there forward.

Added by Edit: I just realized that the version covered by the pictures Matej posted match well with the description of a Soviet naval vstol fighter from a early- to mid-seventies technothriller, Clash of Titans (not to be confused with the novelization of that horrid movie, Clash of the Titans. In this novel, a Soviet vstol carrier classed with a USAF nuclear-powered dirigible aircraft carrier operating modified Harriers and helicopters and they were fighting it out to "rescue" a downed airliner which a defector carrying important information onboard.

It took me a bit longer time to find but it is this...

Attachments

• yak_41_01.jpg
    yak_41_01.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 362
  • yak_41_02.jpg
    yak_41_02.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 377
  • yak_41_06.jpg
    yak_41_06.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 398
There's a three-view of another intermediate version in the AIAA case history on Soviet V/stol Fighter Development. The version that book depicts definitely appears to be a blend of Freehand and Forger; Freehand from the wing leading edge/fuselage juncture aft and Forger from there forward.

I have to confess that I am the author of the AIAA case history on Soviet V/STOL Fighter Development. When I wrote the manuscript in 1995, there was no good reference for the Yakovlev V/STOL fighters (Fricker and Butowski's book came out just before I finished), so I used what I could. I made that image with a photoeditor, combining Jane's Freehand and Forger images, and smoothing it out a bit. As it says, it is a conceptual drawing. Maybe "notional" would have been a better term. Sorry for any confusion.

vstol said:

I have to confess that I am the author of the AIAA case history on Soviet V/STOL Fighter Development. When I wrote the manuscript in 1995, there was no good reference for the Yakovlev V/STOL fighters (Fricker and Butowski's book came out just before I finished), so I used what I could. I made that image with a photoeditor, combining Jane's Freehand and Forger images, and smoothing it out a bit. As it says, it is a conceptual drawing. Maybe "notional" would have been a better term. Sorry for any confusion.

Ah, thank you, sir, for that info. *Chuckle* You might be amused that some of us in the Harrier SIG referred to that as the "Forgehand". A pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Now that's an interesting alternate with a low wing (with lift engines, I'd argue that such a configuration is a very poor choice) and, at an educated guess, a 3-bearing swivel nozzle on the main engine. Definitely a rather more extensive re-work of the basic design and I'm not sure if it'd be worth it.