Wrap around mini Blue Streaks.

Spark

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Wrap around mini Blue Streaks.

Some years ago I was given by Charles “Mark” Martin some drawings of large variant Blue Streak SLV proposals.
Included was a drawing of a unusual variant that appears to be a first stage that consisted of four separate truncated 10ft diameter Blue Streaks. Each with a single RZ2 engine. The four were wrapped around the central LH/LOX second third stage with payload. Has any one any details?
We had been talking about the large RAF military SLV and the fact that he had first been tasked in the late fifties to look at means of air transporting the RAF SLVs to the launch sites at Woomera. At the time he could not trace any drawings in his collection of the original RAF SLVs but gave me a set for later ELDO proposals as the first stages were very close to the original RAF designs.
I would be very interested in any further information on the subject as there was pre-Blue Streak Contract a drawing showing a wrap-around configuration as an option for the Missile/SLV at Kew.

sounds more like a Bluestreak Cluster to me, can be this a Europa IV study ?
and Wat is Blue Streak SLV proposals?

you can post those drawings in the forum, Please

Michel Van said:
sounds more like a Bluestreak Cluster to me, can be this a Europa IV study ?
and Wat is Blue Streak SLV proposals?

you can post those drawings in the forum, Please
Hi Michel,
Sorrry, no scanner but willl see what I can do.
Those particular drawings are for ELDO C
Blue Streak Satellite Launch Vehicles 14ft and 16ft diameter
I have looked again at one of the drawings and it seems to be a pair of 10ft diameter Blue Streak each with a new single large rocket engine.
No details but I would guess a revised RZ14 with single chamber of 300,000lb plus thrust.
LOX capacity increased to 2050cuft and K to1,354 cuft both about 100cuft over the original.

THX Spark

that "Wrap around mini Blue Streaks" must be from years 1965/66
after that ELDO-C became Europa III and IV

a 14ft diameter Blue Streak was consider for ELDO-C
most be this:
index.php

special Thx to Barrington Bond for picture

[/quote]

Hi Michel,
Thanks, Barrington Bond’s drawing showing an ELDO C proposal is interesting.
The two upper stages appear to be based on an early design of LH/LOX rocket engine module by Rolls Royce. Another UK Company was involved in an alternative tank structure, but I forget which one. Mr Brassington did a illustration of the 2nd stage in flight but it is undated.
Official UK LH work started in 1951 with investigations at UK Universities and research establishments and RPE Westcott.
Me thinks the design shown is earlier than the ELDO C requirement, and was resurrected and submitted as a bases for farther studies.
You and Barrington Bond find material that certainly makes one think about how some this material fitted in the great scheme of things.
A very Merry Xmas to one and all.

Did I post that ??? I'm beginning to forget what I've posted - must try and find more stuff though been unable to research for quite a few months now...

Thanks Spark and Michel for all this lovely stuff!

Regards,
Barry

Barrington Bond said:
Did I post that ??? I'm beginning to forget what I've posted - must try and find more stuff though been unable to research for quite a few months now...

Thanks Spark and Michel for all this lovely stuff!

Regards,
Barry

was in "Early european rocketry projects" topic

Eldo-C post here
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4130.msg59396.html#msg59396
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4130.msg59399.html#msg59399

your right Spark
ELDO-C upperstage use Rolls Royce RZ-20 !
i checkt picture #msg59399 with this info:
http://www.spaceuk.org/hydrogen/rr.htm