Solid Blue Streak?

Spark

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi,
From earlier posting
"This leads to another intersting question,
One of the early second phase proposals for a UK LRBM (circa1953) was a two stage solid motor missile with a seven motor cluster for first stage and a single motor second stage plus vernier motors but not suitable because of limited development potential for the SLV"

This was an early Blue Streak proposal, can any one help?

This one:

Attachments

• solid1.jpg
    solid1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 234
Hi CNH,
Yes, I was told that there would have been thermal issues with acceleration that would be expected with the first stage cluster.

CNH said:
This one:

Not that I know of.

That design comes from a paper issued by the RPE, but the paper is very lacking in any kind of analysis. The design is speculative in the extreme, and no figures are given for acceleration etc.

Hi,
Have just discovered this,

THE LARGER SOLID PROPELLANT ROCKET MOTORS OF THE UNITED KINGDOM.
Harlow, John
2000 - IAA 2.3.05 - vol 20 - AAS vol not issued -
For many years it could be said that the UK was at the forefront of the development of large solid propellant rocket motors. This situation began during the second World War with the development of the 5 inch diameter and the designs employing clusters of 3 inch diameter motors. With the pressure to supply propulsion for ever higher performance missiles, the subsequent development of the solid propellant motors in the United Kingdom until about 1955 was arguably ahead of that of the rest of the World.
This seems to give a different perspective toearely history?

CNH said:
Not that I know of.

That design comes from a paper issued by the RPE, but the paper is very lacking in any kind of analysis. The design is speculative in the extreme, and no figures are given for acceleration etc.

After 1955, the USA pulled decisively ahead. The motors for Polaris and Minuteman were very sophisticated. The motors in that drawing of a solid fuelled missile were purely speculative, and not based on any motors then under development.

CNH said:
After 1955, the USA pulled decisively ahead. The motors for Polaris and Minuteman were very sophisticated. The motors in that drawing of a solid fuelled missile were purely speculative, and not based on any motors then under development.

Given that the largest UK effort was 54 inches and the largest US solid was 260 inches I would say they pulled about 206 inches ahead. ;D

As they say, size isn't everything!

H
What was the size of the early to mid fifties English Electric medium range missile Black Rock Westcott motor? A single stage motor humping an early UK A.Bomb with guidance and control some 200miles was not going to be small. Would a three foot diameter be needed or larger?
Agreed, after 1955 UK fell behind by default, but if one had coupled UK solid propellant motors technology with ICI missile division motor casing construction technology which incidentally was eventually used to improve Polaris one had the bases for a Long Range Ballistic Missile.
i,

CNH said:
As they say, size isn't everything!