Will The US Army ever build a NEW MBT?

If I were looking to take out a tank company I'd look at a platoon of Patria AMOS mortars with Strix top attack anti-armor guided mortar rounds. They are already mated with AMV and tested on CV90. 16 round MRSI (normal rounds, I'm not sure if this applies to Strix as well, 12 round/min sustained fire rate. Can also be used in direct fire mode (not Strix, just the normal mortar rounds).

The chances that a command vehicle with a wooden or otherwise fake gun will appear is about as likely as the army moving to tootoo pink for all vehicles as camouflage.

What?! Are you saying this won't be real?

tank-01.jpg

Not unknown. It started as a protest in former Warsaw Pact countries and spread.

View attachment 639103

View attachment 639100

View attachment 639101

View attachment 639102

Perfect urban camoflage ... during a gay pride parade!
Hah!
Hah!

Does anyone remember the "Pink Panther" Land Rovers that the SAS deployed in arab desert countries?

Yes, I do. Not a real pink tho', for accuracy, you understand of course. Not being a pedant at all.......... Much.

Agreed, it's enuff to turn a lot of people into active garden Gnomes.

Last edited:

Can’t wait to read a stirring account of battle from the drone’s download. Very relatable.

So the USArmy ain’t getting a manned MBT soon. They ain’t soon getting an unmanned one either.

Drone tanks don’t count. I don’t like drones.

I don't think your personal dislike counts.

In my topic thread it does.

Feel free to set up your own site and then run it however you like.

In the meantime, this is a discussion forum for everyone and you don't get to "own" this topic. All members are free to contribute. Moderators can intervene to remove off-topic content at their discretion, but that is done by reporting off-topic posts, not by vigilante action in the topic.

You can't just dismiss other people's contributions because you don't like it personally. Reported posts are actioned according to the judgement of the moderation team.

Content-free sniping at people will just earn you a ban.

Drone tanks don’t count. I don’t like drones.

I don't think your personal dislike counts.

In my topic thread it does.

Feel free to set up your own site and then run it however you like.

In the meantime, this is a discussion forum for everyone and you don't get to "own" this topic. All members are free to contribute. Moderators can intervene to remove off-topic content at their discretion, but that is done by reporting off-topic posts, not by vigilante action in the topic.

You can't just dismiss other people's contributions because you don't like it personally. Reported posts are actioned according to the judgement of the moderation team.

Content-free sniping at people will just earn you a ban.

Considering my vigilante action consisted of saying I don’t care for drone warfare and I didn’t want to discuss an unmanned MBT, I’d hate to see what action would be taken following a truly insulting post.

I’ve misjudged the Topic starter’s control over his topic. I also believe in not calling in the authorities whenever there is a water spill but I will abide by the decision of Overscan.

The alternative is to have multiple topics per subject, each version subject to the whims of the topic starter. Future of MBTs (no drones allowed), Future of MBTs (I hate missiles).... No.

The form of this forum has always been concentration of posts into thematic topics which persist over many years, rather than endlessly starting new topics on the same subjects. It's even in the rules to search for an existing topic before posting.

If I were looking to take out a tank company I'd look at a platoon of Patria AMOS mortars with Strix top attack anti-armor guided mortar rounds. They are already mated with AMV and tested on CV90. 16 round MRSI (normal rounds, I'm not sure if this applies to Strix as well, 12 round/min sustained fire rate. Can also be used in direct fire mode (not Strix, just the normal mortar rounds).
If I was looking to take out a platoon of PAtria AMOS mortars, I'd use my tank company to capture the tyre depot, and sprinkle caltrops on every road and track.....

(ahem....I'm not trying to change subject honest...)

The alternative is to have multiple topics per subject, each version subject to the whims of the topic starter. Future of MBTs (no drones allowed), Future of MBTs (I hate missiles).... No.

The form of this forum has always been concentration of posts into thematic topics which persist over many years, rather than endlessly starting new topics on the same subjects. It's even in the rules to search for an existing topic before posting.

Yes the “Search b4 Topic starting“ is a rule that’s also an effective search tool in itself.

Lets try it this way:

Which of these, would you like to go to war in:

1597352202040.png

1597352253786.png

Is the threat of NLOS ATGMs really all that different in practice from what would happen if your unit stood still for too long on the theoretical battlefield of West Germany in the 1980s? You'd be detected through some means and have a whole battalion of Soviet artillery raining down on you.

Is the threat of NLOS ATGMs really all that different in practice from what would happen if your unit stood still for too long on the theoretical battlefield of West Germany in the 1980s? You'd be detected through some means and have a whole battalion of Soviet artillery raining down on you.

The thing about NLOS was that the fiber optic versions were going to be cheap enough to fly out to suspected enemy positions
and could then prosecute the attack with a warhead that had pretty good lethality against armor of the period.

Artillery vs. tanks is not so clear in terms of lethality unless you are talking about something like Copperhead/Krasnopol.
Edit: or sensor-fuzed munitions. Don't recall how far along the Soviet versions were in this period.

Last edited:
I’ll take heavily armored vehicle for the cost of my life, Alex.

And you, and all tanks lovers would be dead soon.
By drones, airplanes, helicopters, infantry ATGMs, rocket and tube artillery. (like in Syria)
On today battlefield tanks are only mobile shooting targets. (Syrian Army total armor losses; Syrian Army armored vehicles onslaught in Idlib in February this year)
In bigger war they don't survive. Environment is too deadly for any armored vehicles.
Heavy armored (very expensive) ground combat vehicles - tanks are expensive mistake.
Reliance on armor is huge mistake.
Light armored vehicles also are deadly for enemy vehicles and they are cheaper.

(bigger) range of carried weapon matters.
Combat vehicles with NLOS weapons are much safer than tanks, thanks Non Line Of Sight and much greater weapon range.
More weapon range means greater vehicle safety. (LRASM instead Harpoon for warships, SDB bombs instead guided Mk 82 bombs for combat aircrafts, Spike NLOS instead Hellfire for combat helicopters)
Vehicle with NLOS weapon can destroy tank, but tank can't destroy him (lack of range and must see target).
Only one truck with NLOS missiles can destroy half of a tank battalion. It's far much cheaper solution than 2 tank companies (24+ tanks) needed to achieve this (theoretically).
That's why tanks are worse and obsolete anti-armor weapon.

Only one truck with NLOS missiles can destroy half of a tank battalion. It's far much cheaper solution than 2 tank companies (24+ tanks) needed to achieve this (theoretically).

The problem for trucks is that they are cheap kills for artillery with even basic DPICM cluster munitions.
That's what, in part, killed the original FOG-M NLOS effort.

What heavy armor brings, IMHO, is resistance to cheap kills.
Add to that active protection systems: if MSDM is successful in defeating supersonic A2A missiles or SAMs
then anti-tank weapons that are subsonic terminally like Spike or SDB are much less of a threat.

Faster weapons like Excalibur HTK are more challenging for APS but are far more expensive and might
still be defeated by passive countermeasures; obscurants haven't stood still either.

Last edited:

The problem for trucks is that they are cheap kills for artillery with even basic DPICM cluster munitions.

What heavy armor brings, IMHO, is resistance to cheap kills.
Add to that active protection systems: if MSDM is successful in defeating supersonic A2A missiles or SAMs
then anti-tank weapons that are subsonic terminally like Spike or SDB are much less of a threat.

Faster weapons like Excalibur HTK are more challenging for APS but are far more expensive and might
still be defeated by passive countermeasures; obscurants haven't stood still either.
Pretty much this. The whole "NLOS makes tanks obsolete" argument hinges on the missiles being perfect solutions and tank defenses being static unchanging things... Just like the "ATGMs make tanks obsolete" debate from previous decades.
Tank defenses will adapt and evolve to the threat, just like they have done before. And in the mean time it's still a heavily armored and armed threat to anything it faces. We've heard of the demise of the tank before, and yet it's still here.

Tanks have been proclaimed to be obsolete for literally a century due to whatever newfangled threat. Aircraft were supposed to be the death of tanks going into the 1940s. They dramatically failed to do so. HEAT and ATGMs were supposed to be their death in the early Cold War, but their own issues (particularly with early MCLOS ATGMs) mitigated the threat and armor technology cought up. Urban combat in the Middle East was supposed to be the death of tanks. Just ask the guys who were on the wrong side of Second Fallujah how that went.

Are NLOS ATGMs and modern cluster munitions such as BONUS are a threat to be sure, but the can be countered through either passive or active means.

The problem with claiming tanks are 'obsolete' and the like is that tanks are considered as an entity alone. Combined arms has been the way to go for decades allowing mutually beneficial observation and fire. Any specialty alone can be easily overcome by a well trained combined specialty force. Tanks have been evolving since the word tank (Oil tank project) represented a cover name for the land ship and that under the auspices of the Royal Navy and one Sir Winston Churchill who was first sea lord at the time. They will continue to evolve and while they may have zero physical relationship to the vehicles of today they will probably still be called tanks.

I find it amusing here those that seemingly disparage modern sensors and the like whilst forgetting that platforms such as the M1A2C (M1A2 SEP V3) are all about new electronics, sensors and the like - giving both improved capabilities (including better situational awareness and thus ability to see the target first and thus shoot first) whilst at the same time actually giving improved reliability. The yearning for simplicity (something I see regularly in other discussions - dare I say A-10 - just to stir people more;)) is admirable but often totally lacking in any basis in reality.

Logistics tails are a risk but have always been so (going back centuries I would argue) and there are also ways to overcome these without compromising capabilities.

Programs such as Israel's Carmel are pointing the way to the future of armoured vehicle development. They rely on sensors to give greater abilities. Things like degrees of AI will go further. The tank of tomorrow is not going to be about who has the best armour or biggest gun but rather who has the best match for the real world battles and the use of sensors and the like. It comes back to understanding the real battles to be fought (I doubt tank-vs-tank slug outs are the area most tanks will be used, or indeed have been used in the past) as well as the good old OODA loop.

So to my mind, the vast majority of the technology is already there to decrease the manning level of tanks and AFV's.

BUT

As people here are pointing out though, it seems to me like they don't know they're pointing this out but they are, without fairly sweeping doctrinal, policy, and administrative changes the technology is worth dickall and will actually be a hindrance!

This is the Crux of the needing an APC to bring along spare crews arguments, which are both correct and incorrect at the same time.

In order for these new technologies to be leveraged effectively you MUST have officers willing to let afv drivers sleep in their seats while moving between positions and not under fire. You MUST have officers willing to let the computer systems stand radio and sensor watches when appropriate. There's a bunch of other stuff that follows in this same vein that all boils down to a situation where if policies and "traditions" and whatnot don't chwnge, all the new technology and enhanced capabilities in the world are useless.

I'm also very sympathetic to the very on point position that, if we keep the existing practices in place, the increased techno gizmos and complex systems will only imcrease maintenance burdens on already smaller crews and worsen the dependence on civilian contractor technicians having to go to war zones to fix broken stuff.

And there's quite a lot of merit to this in some ways. As a shining example of this we have the West's love affair with chainguns which are extraordinarily expensive, hard on vehicles, hard on vehicles systems, consume prodigious amounts of parts, require civilian technical staff to keep running, and etc cetera ad nauseum.

They represent the absolute worst in the western defense world's tendencies to over engineer and over complicate which has the consequences we are arguing about here in this thread.

We now see people wanting to stick these multi hundred thousand dollar guns onto nearly everything, Don't get me wrong I'm onboard with the urgent need for much higher proportions of our force having something better than an m2 or mk19, but the technical path they've chosen to go down to accomplish this is absolutely ruinous.

More importantly though, it doesn't have to be this way. I'm attaching a picture of the colt cr-26 cannon design from the 1960's originally intended to be submitted for the Bradley gun competition. It's specs can be found online at smallarmsreview.com by searching for colt I the search bar on their homepage. You can download a free nonprintable PDF version of it's spec sheet there for more information.

Colt cr26 key performance specs:
Caliber: 26.5mm
Rounds available APFSDS and HE
Muzzle energy: (almost exactly halfway between 30x113 and 25mm Bushmaster)
Cyclic rate: 550 rpm
Mounting requirement: (any mount rated for m2/mk19 as long as it's mounted in included soft recoil cradle) similar peak trunnion force to m2 machine gun.
Features: dual selectable feed, single shot and full auto capable, very low system weight (all up well under 200 pounds including feed system which is not included in m230 weight spec manual and power charger/triggers etc)

When you find out that things like this have been available since the 60's and would cost an order of magnitude less per gun while also not requiring the onerous hardening 30*113 chaingun installations REQUIRE to keep them from beating themselves their RWS and the vehicle they're mounted to into scrap it's quite frustrating.

Note: please bear in mind when looking at especially the ammo specs that this is a late 60's design and modernized ammunition could substantially improve it's performance.
Note 2: Yes this is a Russell s. Robinson design. Yes I have a bunch more Robinson information and pictures including a PDF of his two articles in fighting firearms magazine. Yes I will add whatever the mods will allow in the relevant army systems and other threads. If people need copies of the articles etc for their research I will gladly oblige. Just shoot me a PM.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180614-124800.png
    Screenshot_20180614-124800.png
    998.6 KB · Views: 11
I don't believe tanks are obsolete (though that would be a nice thing to see happen) but I think what a tank is defined as might change. Perhaps instead of being the traditional tracked, 'heavy' armoured vehicle with a conventional main gun as its primary weapon, a 'tank' for the future will be more of a 'primary land based weapon platform' with, as I suggested earlier, armour, tracks but with a combination of weapons including a conventional auto cannon in the 35 - 55mm range. this would allow the vehicle to still support infantry, to take on light-medium vehicles, bunkers/strongpoints, aircraft etc. It would be joined by a useful compliment of missiles able to take on other hardened armour platforms (i.e. the traditional tank) as well as other things including aircraft or targets outside the range of the conventional gun. It would also be loaded with sensors, have its own drone(s) as well as counter drone systems. It would also be highly networked so as to be able to easily call upon other systems (artillery, aircraft etc) to also deal with targets/threats.

Interestingly, if one looks back at where tanks started from (we're going back to WW1 here), their primary use was as a way to break the trench warfare stalemate - in this form, they were very much infantry support systems I would argue. Perhaps a return to this basic philosophy is needed? Take what I wrote above and add in a heavy APC/IFV style role (which interestingly gives you extra people for support etc) plus integrate with some 'loyal wingman' style robotic UGCVs and perhaps you get the 'tank' of the future. Sure, it might not look the same as your MBT of the last few decades but then again things change.

I don't believe tanks are obsolete (though that would be a nice thing to see happen) but I think what a tank is defined as might change. Perhaps instead of being the traditional tracked, 'heavy' armoured vehicle with a conventional main gun as its primary weapon, a 'tank' for the future will be more of a 'primary land based weapon platform' with, as I suggested earlier, armour, tracks but with a combination of weapons including a conventional auto cannon in the 35 - 55mm range. this would allow the vehicle to still support infantry, to take on light-medium vehicles, bunkers/strongpoints, aircraft etc. It would be joined by a useful compliment of missiles able to take on other hardened armour platforms (i.e. the traditional tank) as well as other things including aircraft or targets outside the range of the conventional gun. It would also be loaded with sensors, have its own drone(s) as well as counter drone systems. It would also be highly networked so as to be able to easily call upon other systems (artillery, aircraft etc) to also deal with targets/threats.

Interestingly, if one looks back at where tanks started from (we're going back to WW1 here), their primary use was as a way to break the trench warfare stalemate - in this form, they were very much infantry support systems I would argue. Perhaps a return to this basic philosophy is needed? Take what I wrote above and add in a heavy APC/IFV style role (which interestingly gives you extra people for support etc) plus integrate with some 'loyal wingman' style robotic UGCVs and perhaps you get the 'tank' of the future. Sure, it might not look the same as your MBT of the last few decades but then again things change.
Thats got to be out of bounds, how dare you arm your tank with missiles, what next? Votes for women????

You can armor against auto-cannons pretty easily: comparatively minor up-armoring of the Bradley would defeat 40mm APFDS.
ATGMs have to get through improving active/passive defenses.

But I don't know how to credibly defeat long-rod penetrators or other KE-based AT projectiles
that are propelled in part or in full by large caliber cannons except by MBT levels of armor combined with other active/passives.

And the most expensive KE rounds are still an order of magnitude cheaper than ATGMs.

Even in the infantry support role, things like AMP or similar rounds are going to be more effective
in breaching obstacles or killing dismounts than just about any missile or auto-cannon. Certainly on a cost-basis.

So maybe I'm arguing for assault guns over tanks.

Perhaps the future MBT will take on some elements of the historic command tank. That alone might be a reason for keeping a fourth (or third at minimum) crewman. Even if you have an autoloader one guy could be tasked entirely with managing the unmanned ground vehicles supporting the tank or tank platoon.

Perhaps the future MBT will take on some elements of the historic command tank. That alone might be a reason for keeping a fourth (or third at minimum) crewman. Even if you have an autoloader one guy could be tasked entirely with managing the unmanned ground vehicles supporting the tank or tank platoon.
They laughed at me, when i mentioned command tanks......

https://www.army.mil/article/196955...rtise_to_future_multi_domain_battle_scenarios

PICATINNY ARSENAL, N.J. -- As robotic technology advances and the Army seeks to anticipate and shape
the future force on the battlefield, the pairing of manned and unmanned elements is seen as a way to increase
the sphere of influence and lethal capabilities of mounted units without increasing manpower.

The Abrams Lethality Enabler (ALE) concept was demonstrated on Aug. 22 to show the value of robotic and
autonomous systems (RAS) within an Armored Brigade Combat Team.

The concept was to determine if the crewman in the Abrams tank who serves as the ammunition
loader could manage several robotic assets if he was freed up to do so with the use of a compact autoloader.

For purposes of the demo, those robotic assets were an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), the Automatic Direct/Indirect
fire Mortar (ADIM) system, integrated on an unmanned ground vehicle, and a robotic M58 Scout Vehicle.

The ALE concept has two enabling components: the autoloader and supervised autonomous technology.
"Supervised autonomy is basically that you delegate tasks to that robot. It goes off and performs its missions,"
said Evan Finn, the ALE Project Officer with the U.S. Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering
Center, or ARDEC, at Picatinny Arsenal.

My emphasis.

Do you know if there was a follow-up to this?

People still believe we have to defeat the armour on a tank or apc. All we have to do is defeat the organic squidgy bits inside. Something like a massive impact shock wave through the armour or a sound shock wave as in massive audio wave production should be enough to turn the brains of crews into mush.

I will revisit this when I am more awake, sorry if it comes across as the warblings of a two year old at the moment.

People still believe we have to defeat the armour on a tank or apc. All we have to do is defeat the organic squidgy bits inside. Something like a massive impact shock wave through the armour or a sound shock wave as in massive audio wave production should be enough to turn the brains of crews into mush.

I will revisit this when I am more awake, sorry if it comes across as the warblings of a two year old at the moment.
Too much Dr Who.....

That would potentially be a way to go if it were still the early 1970's. However, if you look at the speculated/known data about the composition of modern armor arrays to include chobham nera nxra et Al as well as the things done in the name of IED protection and electronic combined with physical hearing protection etc...

You'll find that transmitting enough sound or a hard enough shockwave into a tank or even a best in class first world ifv would require about an order of magnitude more power behind it than just launching a 1 meter long depleted uranium spear at it at 1700 meters per second!

The nature of the protection schemes of modern combat vehicles makes this entirely more of a nonstarter than HESH rounds. As a matter of fact it will not work for the same reason as HESH rounds aren't going to be effective. There's a bunch of dissipative layers of hard and soft materials designed to channel the kinetic or other energy away from the people and equipment spaces of the vehicles.

You can armor against auto-cannons pretty easily: comparatively minor up-armoring of the Bradley would defeat 40mm APFDS.
ATGMs have to get through improving active/passive defenses.

But I don't know how to credibly defeat long-rod penetrators or other KE-based AT projectiles
that are propelled in part or in full by large caliber cannons except by MBT levels of armor combined with other active/passives.

And the most expensive KE rounds are still an order of magnitude cheaper than ATGMs.

Even in the infantry support role, things like AMP or similar rounds are going to be more effective
in breaching obstacles or killing dismounts than just about any missile or auto-cannon. Certainly on a cost-basis.

So maybe I'm arguing for assault guns over tanks.
The way that active defenses try to defeat long rods is, as I understand right now, not to outright destroy them, but to use a detonation pressure wave to destabilize them, so that they hit armor at a slight oblique angle, which reduced their effectiveness, and might even facilitate breakup upon impact.
Of course that still means that anything with less armor than an MBT is likely going to have a really bad day, and even the MBT might get unlucky.
It's not a hard kill mechanism, it's reducing effectiveness.

The problem with "artillery", "missiles" and "airpower" is that it can not detect many types of the enemy and advance and take ground, not that they could not extract advantageous exchange ratios. Artillery and airpower have advanced to the point that it can deal with MBT sized targets just fine.

The previous era of artillery dominance was WWI. In that war, every piece of artillery and area weapon chews up infantry with much superior exchange ratio, to the point where infantry forces are withdrawn from the front to build more shells.

This did not mean infantry and primitive tanks (which had terrible exchange ratios against artillery and field pieces, if not defeated by mud and itself), were not important and employed. The offensive required advantageous artillery strength that can suppress if not defeat opponent artillery, followed by attack by superior ground forces to clean up what can not be effectively defeated by artillery.

I see modern and near future war as similar. First one side wins local superiority in the artillery and air war, than the rest of the combined arms team advance. While precise long range strike can defeat large land vehicles, there is still huge problems with mines and infantry that an attacker need to clear. In the near future, cheap UAVs and UGV would be also a serious problem that artillery and traditional air power can only serve as a partial solution.

It is telling that despite the Russian air force providing uncontested air superiority in the Syrian civil war, the Syrian tank forces still had to advance into the teeth of enemy defenses and get chewed up at alarming rates. The problem is that air forces still can not take ground and the choice is either getting the few formations of capable infantry chewed up in small arms combat or spend some metal boxes to lower infantry losses.

The MBTs being overbuilt generalist vehicles do an okay job as assault guns blasting trenches and buildings. Then there are ever more capable IFVs. In some sense, the "future" tank is already here, autocannon plus missiles plus armor plus APS. What can one say about $10mil IFVs or those that weight 64tons?

Such is the regression of the MBT from maneuverist decisive point of the spear to anti-fortification specialist.
---------------
It'd take unlikely situations and big screw ups on both sides for battles and campaigns to come down to long rod performance.

On the other hand, the performance of sensors, armor and high explosive rounds has been tested continuously for decades.

----------------
The Carmel tank points to AFVs a generation later. While we should see proliferation of cheap UGV/UAV and combat between them in the near future. The weak sensor capabilities means that it is probably difficult for cheap unmanned vehicles to fully sanitize the battlespace and some kind of powerful land sensor vehicle would be needed (and so expensive as to benefit from bio-computers in low lag jam resistant installation). Add fast responding organic weapons and self defense capabilities and you pretty much get the Carmel out.

Active defenses re-enabling land maneuverist war is the common dream of tankists. There is no foreseeable path that self defenses can defeat fires that can concentrate at will, and area/networked mutual support will be necessary, which entails a entire family of systems that would replicate larger air defenses than something simple like an MBT. In any case I don't see large platform LOS fighting as a winner, as AEGIS didn't result in naval warfare turning back into getting Iowas into gun range, not like you couldn't fit a CKEM "warhead" on top of something else. New capabilities is insufficient, a order(s) of magnitude revolution in effectiveness is needed for that to happen.

The original FOG missiles have relatively limited range compared to radio controlled or autonomous ones. Current 30~40km range Anti-tank NLOS missiles can counterbattery many 155mm systems. NLOS missiles designed for range can reach even further, for example the GM501X cruise loitering munition have 70km range with loiter and can outrange/counter-battery large and more expensive artillery systems, and the same capability exists from things like Spear-3. With missiles untethered from wires, shoot and scoot is also easy. It is unclear that traditional artillery pieces, whose position is largely located by artillery radar when it fires, actually have advantages against cheaper and more numerous missile shooters.

Tank armor also isn't all that effective against modern artillery. Hiding far from from enemy sensors and weapons in cover with non-ballistic weapons plus shoot and scoot with huge area to operate in beats very limited and detectable positions needed to employ LOS weapons.

Last edited:
Just as simple to attach the track/road wheels and turn the tank into a pillbox. What I was meaning was looking at methods other than destroying the tank unit and thinking outside the box.
Pain meds can be a real bear.

The problem with "artillery", "missiles" and "airpower" is that it can not detect many types of the enemy and advance and take ground, not that they could not extract advantageous exchange ratios. Artillery and airpower have advanced to the point that it can deal with MBT sized targets just fine.

I would argue that in a truly networked environment (which I would presume when talking about a future tank/prime land combat vehicle) if the 'tank' can spot an enemy then they can pass the location instantly to the other systems. A model might be the integration of the F-35's MADL to tanks - everyone can see what everyone else sees - this includes tanks seeing the feed from UAVs, Aircraft and the like (the tank crew is no longer limited to their own sensors but can easily see what's over the next hill or the one after that or even kms away.

The MBTs being overbuilt generalist vehicles do an okay job as assault guns blasting trenches and buildings. Then there are ever more capable IFVs. In some sense, the "future" tank is already here, autocannon plus missiles plus armor plus APS. What can one say about $10mil IFVs or those that weight 64tons?

I tend to agree - maybe the future 'tank' is already here or at least the precursor elements are and they will be based upon the IFVs etc.

It'd take unlikely situations and big screw ups on both sides for battles and campaigns to come down to long rod performance.

Agreed.