rocketeer

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I've been researching the Westland WG 30 helicopter project from the 1980,s.
Got a fair bit of information but can anyone supply any more please ?
Everything welcome.
Thanks.

Attachments

• G-BGHF-e.gif
    G-BGHF-e.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 654
The helicopter museum, Weston super mare, uk has two of the prototypes on show, think one is for the kids to play on in the play ground.

http://helicoptermuseum.co.uk/westland.htm

Some very interesting helo bits n bobs there.

The origins of the Westland 30, originally known as the WG-30 Super Lynx, go back to the sixties, when Westland was studying the possibility of a replacement for the Wessex and Whirlwind which were then in service with various civil and military operators.

After considering a civil version of the Lynx, the British company favoured a larger machine using many of the components of the military helicopter. Accordingly, the Westland 30 has the transmission, rotor blade structure, some systems and many instruments and accessories of the Lynx, but the fuselage is entirely new and is bigger, even if it resembles the Lynx aerodynamically. It is made wholly of aluminum with a traditional type of structure and skin, while composite materials are used in the tail boom. The landing gear is fixed and the main units are housed in two fairings at the sides of the aft fuselage. The fuel system comprises two 630 liter tanks in the fuselage. The hydraulic system is similar to that of the Lynx as is the instrument panel with a few additions. The larger rotor should have a much longer service life than that of the Lynx on account of its slower rotational speed. Care has been taken to reduce vibrations in the fuselage.

The Westland 30 was originally intended for military use in the tactical transport and air ambulance roles, but the design has proved equally suitable for the civil market. In this role, the helicopter is approved for instrument flight, has optional airstair or sliding doors, and can take up to 22 passengers in the high density version in a comfortable, soundproofed cabin. Behind the cabin, which can be furnished to customers' requirements to carry VIPs, executives or freight, there is an ample baggage compartment reached from the rear of the fuselage. The capabilities of the Westland 30 for offshore work are particularly interesting: with a 250km radius of action and 227kg fuel, the initial W30-100 variant can carry nine passengers on the outward journey and 13 on the homeward one. This type has been ordered by British Airways. In the military version, the same aircraft can carry 14 equipped troops or 17 without equipment, or six stretchers plus medical attendants.

The prototype of the Westland 30 made its first flight on 10 April 1979 in time for a successful appearance at the Paris Air Show that year. Production and delivery of W30-100 aircraft began in 1981. This version has now been superseded by the W30-160 with uprated Gem 60 engines. Westland is also now test-flying the W30-200 prototype, powered by 1700shp General Electric CT-7 engines, which are expected to much improve gross weight performance and payload in hot/high countries, and is also developing a new five-blade rotor system which is expected to appear on yet another new variant, the W30-300.

Source: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Helicopters, G. Apostolo, 1984

I know a fair number went to India, one (VT-EKG ?) was displayed at SBAC Farnborough. I have a brochure somewhere, I will try to dig out some more details.

Definately a production helicopter and not a project.

PS

Just found this link to WG.30's in India:

http://www.rotorspot.nl/vt.htm

From my photos of the Helicopter Museum in 2007, they had one in the kids playground, one on display outside and two on display inside.

The playground one was a bare shell painted white, numbered N114WG. Still had windows, wheels and working doors. The wikipedia page shows this in use by Omni-Flight for Pan-Am at a New York Heliport.
External display was a WG-30-200 painted bright yellow/red Rescue colours, tailcode G-ELEC.
One inside was in British Army grey/green camo with tailcode G-HAUL, apparently a WG-30-300 model.
The other was a WG-30-100 with tailcode G-BGHF, was gloss green (dusty!) and boasted a soundproofed executive interior with swivel leather seats and came complete with whisky decanter and glasses in the drinks cabinet.

If Wikipedia is correct several more still survive in storage in India and the UK, but I doubt anyone would keep helicopters in storage for 20 years?

Edit: Google Earth shows several airframes at the rear of the Helicopter Museum, quite possibly some of these are WG.30s. The Type Certification was withdrawn in 2000 at Westlands request because Rolls-Royce were charging so much for engine maintenance.

Nick said:
If Wikipedia is correct several more still survive in storage in India ( ), but I doubt anyone would keep helicopters in storage for 20 years?

Humm, not really in storage.....................Scrapyard
Photo taken at Pawan Hans, Mumbai, December 2011

Attachments

• IMG_0080_small.jpg
    IMG_0080_small.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 383
I did my survival training at Petans near Norwich Airport a few years back and they had one mocked up on the helideck.

http://www.petans.co.uk/facilities_helicopter.asp

I might have a photo somewhere.

I recall a tarted-up WG.30 figured in a TV drama on ditching choppers about ten years ago. I gave it a miss.

Chris

In a 1979 Westland Brochure the WG.30 cabin configurations were shown for trooping, high capacity seating and casualty evacuation roles.

Attachments

• Layout1.png
    Layout1.png
    608.6 KB · Views: 330
  • Layout2.png
    Layout2.png
    732.7 KB · Views: 298
Cy-27 said:
I know a fair number went to India, one (VT-EKG ?) was displayed at SBAC Farnborough. I have a brochure somewhere, I will try to dig out some more details.

Definately a production helicopter and not a project.

PS

Just found this link to WG.30's in India:

http://www.rotorspot.nl/vt.htm

Please note that the correct url is:
http://www.rotorspot.nl/historic/vt.php

The same web site also has a WG30 production list at
http://www.rotorspot.nl/product/wg30.php

Cheers,
Jos Stevens
www.rotorspot.nl

Westland 30 ad from 1983. Elephant optional.

Attachments

• AvWeek_19830530_080.JPEG
    AvWeek_19830530_080.JPEG
    545.5 KB · Views: 35
Please delete this duplicate post.

Last edited:
WG.30 was introduced with plenty of fanfare, the principle user was an Indian company that used them to supply off-shore oil rigs. Problems with their Rolls-Royce Gem engines saw them bought back by Westland and grounded.
Pity!
On a similar note, I recently saw a trio of Sikorsky S-92 fuselages sitting derelict at Vancouver International Airport. They were in civilian colours and looked unlikely to ever fly again. Amazing how short the service lives of some helicopters.
Meanwhile the RCAF is still working out the finer points of operating their S-92 Cyclone helicopters from small ships’ decks.