Wedell-Williams XP-34 pursuit

Boogey

B'Boomelang
Reaction score
It hapenned that Tophe live near the Boogey Moutain. I like it :)
He allowed me to start this new tread about the Wedell - Williams XP-34.
It is so that I'm building my album of American Army and Navy aircraft
and it's so boring to find the Wedell - Williams racers all the time.

Wedell-Williams received a contract for an XP-34 prototype in answer to their proposal for design specification X-603. This was to be very similar to the #45 racer (NR62Y). However, the company's financial troubles put an end to that beautiful project. Here is a five-view arrangement of the XP-34.

Attachments

• XP-34.jpg
    XP-34.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 912
From the book "U.S. Fighters" by Lloyd S.Jones, AeroPublihers 1975: "a fighter developed from their racer (...) A design study was awarded on October 1, 1935, for an XP-34 to be powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-1535 Twin Wasp Jr, radial engine of 700 hp. The XP-34 was to have a speed of 286mph at 10,000 feeet and, in appearance, the design resembled the Wedell-Williams '44' racer (...) its proposed performance had already been exceded by the types then flying. Therefore, the design was revised to incorporate a 900 hp Pratt & Whitney XR-1830-C Twin Wasp. With the new engine, the XP-34 was intended to reach a speed of 308 mph."

Attachments

• r_xp-34.JPG
    r_xp-34.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 739
The initial XP-34 design (1935) was to be powered by a 700hp Pratt&Whitney R-1535 Twin Wasp.
A year later the Weddell)Wlliams company suggested a vesion with a more powerfull 900hp P&W XP-1830-C engine
to enhance the fighter's performence.
This was turned down and the whole program was cancelled.

The drawings presented by Tophe an Star.. have a difference in the engine cowling layout.
Could they show the two different versions or is is just artistical freedom by the people who made the drawings...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedell-Williams_XP-34

an interesting article on wikipedia , which armament was proposed for Wedell-Williams Xp 34 ? ???

Maybe, Bellanca Model 23-100 (Army Pursuit Airplane, Allison Engined) is a competitor of the Wedell-Williams XP-34.

I noticed that on http://www.warbirds.jp/data/us/htm/p-34.htm, it says that the XP-34 was based on the Model 45. I am not a fluent Japanese speaker and google translate came up with this fact. Is that true or not? Also it may answer airman's question when it states that armament was to be a pair of 7.62 machine guns. Given that was some kind of metric conversion, I would guess a pair of 0.30s would be meant.