Want to work in defense

rooster

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if this is appropriate for the forum here or not.
I have worked in automotive engineering for 21 years and I want to leave automotive and Detroit and work in defense or aerospace. Over the last 20 years I have watched one incapable engineer after the next get promoted despite being incompetent because they are a politically correct class of person. Pay over 20 years has fallen every year by virtue of companies taking away pensions and NEVER giving out even meager 2% cost of living increases and then tell us to be grateful for even having the privilege of having a job. I watch American college kids not get jobs because there is a flood of h1b Indian visa workers to hire.
Is it possible for automotive guy in Detroit to make such a drastic jump in careers? I have been applying to jobs around the country but I have yet to even get a call about a job. I am a physicist by degree, have nearly completed the requirements for a 2nd BS in computer science and I have taken advanced math coursework as a post bachelors student, even now while all colleges are basically all online i am taking classes again. Automotive sucks! When I was in school auto engineers made great livings and could afford to live in suburban Detroit and have a weekend cottage in northern Michigan. Those days are long gone. If you even try to change jobs here you will get told by human resources people and recruiters with a smile that you have to take a pay cut to work for a different company.

Here in Europe it is normal to expect a pay-raise when you change from job to job, because people believe that you have learned something in your previous job that will contribute in the new job.
Don't get fooled by HR, they don't work for you.
I think some defense jobs require a security-clearance, use that to get in touch with some people working in a company, ask questions, go do some networking.
Networking is a great way to get into a company.
Good luck,

Rob

It may depend on what you are currently doing in automotive. Some things will carry over easier than others.

Aerospace/defense is a fickle field right now (well, it always is, just more so these days); my employer laid a bunch of people off in late 2019 and a whole bunch more in mid 2020--but now we have 100+ positions open, mostly in engineering. I've looked at other places and they were hiring like mad, then someone turned off the switch in August. They're back hiring like crazy again, at every site but the one I'm interested in. Most of aerospace has been crushed by Covid and there are probably tens of thousands of people (from engineering, to mechanics, to assembly line workers) looking for jobs. Competition is stiff and will probably remain so for a while.

I think some defense jobs require a security-clearance, use that to get in touch with some people working in a company, ask questions, go do some networking.
This puts the cart before the horse, sadly. You cannot get a clearance on your own, you have to have an employer sponsor you to get one.

When you think about it, the very expression "human resource(s)" is a little scary.

Humans are not a resource like elctricity, oil, or tools, damn it... ! I'm reminded of Dilbert whacky crazy HR (was it catbert or dogbert ?)

When you think about it, the very expression "human resource(s)" is a little scary.

Humans are not a resource like elctricity, oil, or tools, damn it... ! I'm reminded of Dilbert whacky crazy HR (was it catbert or dogbert ?)
I do remember meeting some kinda of typical Soylent Green HR manager , telling "you know I'm here for the good of the employees..."

Last edited:

I do remember meeting some kinda of typical Soylent Green HR managers , telling "you know I'm here for the good of the employees..."

ROTFL "Human resource is people !" "I ate a human resource liver with fava beans, and a nice chianti ...fpfpfpfpfpfpppppp...!"

So like 3 days ago I got a call from a recruiter to work for a defense company in Michigan (sadly Michigan). They were looking for someone with program management experience like I have in automotive managing suppliers as they develop electrical components.

I was really stoked. They said it was just a low security clearance job and would only take a month to get cleared which me being a geek would have no issues preventing that. It would even be a pay raise... Wow scary!

But then they dissapeared.

I thought it was exciting for that one day getting three calls all from different parts of the country but all from the same lady.

Alas it was fun while it lasted.

They said it was just a low security clearance job and would only take a month to get cleared which me being a geek would have no issues preventing that.
Geekhood is irrelevant to gaining your security clearance - Ed Snowden is definitely a geek, but I don't see anyone renewing his security clearance anytime soon.