• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

VSS - VSTOL Support Ship - exotic air group

zen

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
A hanger tends not to have a opening forward through which the ships motion drives fresh air....well not on a modern one anyway.

But yes fire in a hanger is always a nightmare.

However a second flight deck, which is what your design has, has a lot of openings which would need to close to counter the risks of fire. Closing them off requires a lot of metal.

Purpletrouble

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Some good reasons why double-decker carriers might not be a good idea..
Master, i didn’t understand what you mean. What’s diference betwen both decks to get fire ??? Both decks exist independent of under deck be a flyIng deck. In the same case, both decks be a lot of aircrafts with the same equipaments, conventional deck or not.
What is this trying to solve?Having both a catapult and a ski jump?

The older flying off decks of pre WW2 did not extend very far back because the take off run was pretty much the open bit. On yours it would make more sense to put the catapult on the lower deck. That would at least solve airflow problems from having the ramp in front of that tunnel. The catapult flying off bit could then be screened to the rear with a door.

Wouldn’t a split bow be far easier? Catapult to one side (starboard in front of island) and runway + ramp to other (port)?

Your lower flight deck would be impossible by the way. Structurally you just cannot have that much open the full length with that much on top of it. And you need at least a full deck if not two between the two for the carapult kit.

Where is the hangar? I assume underneath the lower flight decl in which case this is a very tall ship with significant rolling on the top deck. Landing on that will be a challenge even if well stabilised.

Again I think a split bow would achieve combined cat/stovl ops much more easily, although notable that even natioks with both types (India) didn’t try to adopt that.

Reactions: zen

Purpletrouble

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
A fire in a tunnel is even worse
But, the CVF´s lower deck is closed too, isn´t it?

All aircraft carrier has a lower deck closed with many aircrafts storaged
They also have fire curtains that break it into sections and which can close the lift wells.

The key thing is that they aren’t trying to fly the aircraft in these closed areas or even run the engines, thus minimising the risk of accident/fire.

SSgtC

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Some good reasons why double-decker carriers might not be a good idea..
Master, i didn’t understand what you mean. What’s diference betwen both decks to get fire ??? Both decks exist independent of under deck be a flyIng deck. In the same case, both decks be a lot of aircrafts with the same equipaments, conventional deck or not.
I am no expert on fires but a fire in a contained space is a far worse case than one on an open deck, where planes can be pushed over the edge into the sea. Suffice be it to say that no Navy has adopted a closed flying deck
A fire in a tunnel is even worse
See the current fire on Bon Homme Richard (LHD-6) for proof of why this isn't a very good idea...