VKA Myasishchev 1957

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Model of VKA Myasishchev 1957 found at USSR-Russian Aviation and Space Collectibles.

NOTE: Although seller claims that model is authentic and accurate, the reader should be aware that the authenticity and accuracy of this model is in question. It may have been manufactured by another party without license.

27 inches wing span one of a kind hand made model of rare spaceplane VKA 1957.Details on this project are below: Chief designers Myasishchev and Korolev had known each other well since World War II, when they were in the same sharashka (prison design bureau in the Soviet Gulag). They got along well and informally conducted studies in support of each other`s projects. After Sputnik was launched Myasishchev began design for Korolev of a piloted vehicle for launch by Korolev`s R-7 ICBM. This diminutive single-crew star-shaped spacecraft was called the VKA (aero-space vehicle). It would be manoeuvred within the atmosphere by two high rudders. Its faceted shape was reminiscent of the much later F-117 Stealth Fighter and the concurrent Armstrong-Whitworth Nonweiler Waverider. The faceting of this and subsequent Myasishchev designs may have indicated a refined application of Nonweiler shock-wave riding principles. However they may also have been due to the necessity of calculating hypersonic aerodynamic characteristics by breaking the shape into a series of planes, or limitations in fabricating the heat shield materials. The much later F-119 flew faceted because the computational problem of an aerodynamically optimum rounded vehicle (in relation to radar reflection in this case, as opposed to hypersonic aerodynamics) could not be solved during development of the aircraft. These early informal studies were superseded by later officially-sanctioned designs.

http://www.ussr-airspace.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_53&products_id=1613

Seller's claim of authenticity:
http://www.ussr-airspace.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_39_48&products_id=845

Attachments

• 14145046.jpg
    14145046.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 14145051.jpg
    14145051.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 14145054.jpg
    14145054.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 99
That looks a lot like Kraft Ehricke's re-entry vehicles, as used for the Atlas Space Station, a moon lander, and others - see old Convair artwork!
Grif

Making some "cleaning" in my HD, I found this drawing, recorded from a website I unfortunately forgot to note the name (sorry for its webmaster).
This two-crew space vehicle seems to be related to the Myasishchev VKA, but I don't know if it's a real project or a fake.

Attachments

• 48-resized.jpg
    48-resized.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 98
Absolutely real project winged spacecraft.
One of the options on the theme "48"

Attachments

• 48-7m.jpg
    48-7m.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 113
Wow, wonderful!
Thanks a lot Borovik.

What can be the function of the "panel" above and behind the cockpit?

Attachments

• 48-7d.jpg
    48-7d.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 43