• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

US UAV and UCAV Technology

aonestudio

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
USAF testers perform first MQ-9A Reaper flight with eight Hellfire missiles
By Sara Sirota / September 29, 2020 5:05 PM

The Air Force has conducted the first flight test of the MQ-9A Reaper carrying eight live AGM-114 Hellfire missiles -- twice the number it can currently hold -- to show the remotely piloted aircraft's ability to perform "persistent attack" operations in future conflicts. The 556th Test and Evaluation Squadron, which is part of the service's 53rd Wing, demonstrated the new capability at Creech Air Force Base, NV, on Sept. 10, according to an Air Force news release

bobbymike

Reaction score

chimeric oncogene

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I would like to ask a question on early UAVs from the 60s through to the 90s.

Why did so many UAVs continue to rely on parachute/airbag/mid-air recovery schemes?

All of Ryan's little tactical drones - Firebee, Lightning Bug, BQM-34C (the improved post-Vietnam Lightning Bug), and even Scarab and Peregrine (early 90s, MR-UAV) went with parachutes and mid-air recovery/airbags/saltwater dunking (the latter for Peregrine).

Landing gear is heavy and not easy to integrate with airframes (or so I've heard), and navigation/drone control/TV datalinking was super-hard in ancient times, but the various recovery schemes greatly worsened UAV attrition, wear and tear, cost, certain types of operational flexibility, and turnaround time. Guidance for runway landings would seem to be a matter of setting up a very short range man-in-the-loop RC system at the airfield, and a dedicated landing pilot looking out the window of the control trailer (maybe that sort of thing has high attrition too and is incompatible with the DC-130? Is the handoff difficult?).

Had drone operations been expanded through the 70s and 80s (say, in conjunction with bigger communications satellites or something to help ameliorate the many, many other technological limitations that restricted the scope of drone operations), would runway landings have been more cost-effective? Were airbags competitive with runways (and was that why they eventually pivoted towards airbags for Scarab)?

message-editor%2F1542417921909-mission.jpg
message-editor%2F1542473488279-chinook.jpg

Last edited:

dan_inbox

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Guidance for runway landings would seem to be a matter of setting up very short range man-in-the-loop RC system at the airfield, and a dedicated landing pilot looking out the window of the control trailer
Mhhh. At the very minimum you'd need some sort of runway to land on, wouldn't you?
Erm, why were they using JATO truck launches in the first place? maybe because there wasn't necessarily a rwy where you need this kind of recce. Think of Laotian border or such places.

As to why Egypt wanted it, I can help thinking of Israel's very successful use of the Mabat and Shadmit. (drones made by... Teledyne Ryan :cool: )
Add to this the then-stunning success of operation Artzav-19 when Syrian air defenses in the Bekaa were wiped out by IDF/AF drones on 1982-06-09.

Mix with a normal dose of penis envy, and you get "bwaaa! I want one too!". So they got one too, even though they could not really use it. (As the article say, 50 out of the 59 Scarabs delivered were never even unboxed).

jsport

what do you know about surfing Major? you're from-
Reaction score
and how much more capable and stealth are X-58As?

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Probably greater (unrestricted tech, 30 years of Stealth improvement, Internal wb...). And if you are concerned about Ryan heritage being lost, I am pretty sure Kratos has a good understanding of what Ryan achieved. ;)

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
This is Ader design.... Nothing new here unless another bunch of worthless students trying to impress the illiterates

model-this-was-french-aviation-pioneer-clement-aders-first-flying-picture-id90744619

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
4 Reapers for Taiwan:

Last edited:

chimeric oncogene

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score

General Dynamics General Atomics is heavily marketing the MQ-9 for great-power bumper cars in the Pacific littorals. I wonder if that has anything to do with the Taiwanese sale.

Last edited:

Flyaway

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I don’t know enough about US politics to know the answer on this, but if there is a change of president to Biden will these sales go out the window?

bobbymike

Reaction score

aonestudio

Reaction score
SAN DIEGO – 07 January 2020 – General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI) completed the first Beyond Line of Sight (BLOS) High Frequency (HF) Command and Control (C2) demonstration for an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS). The HF C2 capability does not require a Satellite Communications (SATCOM) link and is capable of providing BLOS connectivity up to 8,000 miles, depending on transmit power and link geometry.

bring_it_on

Reaction score

Attachments

• self-protection-pod-1070x590.jpg
    self-protection-pod-1070x590.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 9

tequilashooter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

"U.S. company Lockheed Martin has tested the anti-drone system MoRFIUS (Mobile Radio Frequency-Integrated Unmanned Aircraft System Suppressor). The radio-frequency suppression system successfully detected and disabled the training target, Lockheed Martin news agency reported. The new system is designed to protect expeditionary forces from drone swarms. MoRFIUS is a powerful ultra-high-frequency UAV interceptor. Using microwaves, the system can knock down several targets in no time. In the video, MoRFIUS flew next to a training target that at the same time failed under the influence of microwaves."

bobbymike

Reaction score

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
"Speed Racer", huh? I wonder if it is by any chance a WIG design or something even more exotic?

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
S
"Speed Racer", huh? I wonder if it is by any chance a WIG design or something even more exotic?

Multiple engines of small diameters, perhaps then a vtol concept?
The WiG idea could make sense with a prop on the back and micro turbines in front.
(but won't that be the Speed Roaster? ;) )

Last edited:

Josh_TN

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Per the article, the production seems more about testing the speed of the engineering tools in a new UAV then producing a UAV to fulfill a specific role.