US Supersonic Bomber Projects by Scott Lowther

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
301269060_10208728160638464_9162463729147937431_n.jpg
US SUPERSONIC BOMBER PROJECTS
By Scott Lowther

During the early stages of the cold war the USAF operated a huge fleet of strategic bombers - but these were all subsonic and development of high-speed surface-to-air missiles and jet interceptors made them increasingly vulnerable. America’s Strategic Air Command urgently needed new aircraft capable of flying higher and faster than anything that the opposition could field. Building a bomber able to carry an appreciable bomb load at speeds above Mach 1 for long distances was a real challenge and American designers were forced to rapidly evolve their designs to keep pace with technological advancements. The result was a vast number of supersonic bomber projects, ranging from viable proposals which became real aircraft, such as the B-58 and B-1, to incredibly ambitious concepts. Using a wealth of illustrations, aerospace engineer Scott Lowther explores this unique period of aviation history in US Supersonic Bomber Projects.

US SUPERSONIC BOMBER PROJECTS
Author: Scott Lowther
Imprint: Books
Category:
ISBN: 9781911703037
Format: Softback
Pages: 132
Published: September 30, 2022
PRINT EDITION
£9.99

So that's the book you couldn't tell me about Scott when discussing that bomb ;)
Actually that's Book 4, which is not yet public. All I can say is that Book 3 is "US Supersonic Bomber Projects, Volume 1." As to what book 4 will be... well, only a truly clever mind would be able to guess.

So that's the book you couldn't tell me about Scott when discussing that bomb ;)
Actually that's Book 4, which is not yet public. All I can say is that Book 3 is "US Supersonic Bomber Projects, Volume 1." As to what book 4 will be... well, only a truly clever mind would be able to guess.

Assuming the GRMM model of writing sequels, that'll be US Subsonic Bomber Projects, Volume 0.5.

I just hope this book can make the trip from the UK to Japan more successfully than Scott’s other opuses.

Is one of these going to have that nuclear powered flying submarine?

Is one of these going to have that nuclear powered flying submarine?
I guess at this point it's safe to discuss: yes.

Vol 1 covers "official" bombers... B-58. B-59, B-68, B-70, B-1, A-5, F-111, with evolution and derivative designs. Vol 2 covers more general topics, including: Nuclear powered, seaplanes, nuclear powered seaplanes (there are more than enough of *those* to merit their own section), hypersonic, VTOL, and the ever-popular "miscellaneous." A Volume 3 has been discussed but is uncertain as yet. So make sure to buy a couple dozen copies of each.

I simply cannot wait for this new book, if the SR-71 book was anything to go by this book will be highly interesting, thanks Scott.

My local WH Smith still selling the SR71 one regularly. Will keep an eye open.

A question on your coverage of the A3J/A-5, does it include a three-view drawing of the twin-vertical version that was mocked up?

Behold in all it's low-resolution glory:

us-ss-bp-v1-2.png

Other preview images and info about ordering (including signed Extra Special Edition copies) available here:https://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/blog/?p=4982

I can confirm that US Supersonic Bomber Projects Vol. 1 has been signed off at the printers. Hard copies should be available, in the UK at least, within about two weeks.

If I hadn't already pre-ordered a copy, I definitely would now.
Why have just one when you can have two at twice the price?
We don't want to deprive others from buying your bookazine before it is sold out.

The question that puzzles me is: why do you split up 'US Supersonic Bomber Projects' in three bookazine volumes of ~130 pages each?
Why not one ~390 page hardcover like your B-47 & B-52 book? I would prefer that.

If I hadn't already pre-ordered a copy, I definitely would now.
Why have just one when you can have two at twice the price?
We don't want to deprive others from buying your bookazine before it is sold out.

The question that puzzles me is: why do you split up 'US Supersonic Bomber Projects' in three bookazine volumes of ~130 pages each?
Why not one ~390 page hardcover like your B-47 & B-52 book? I would prefer that.
That would be a publisher decision.

The economics favors the bookazines. By a *lot.*

Sure, I prefer the hardbacks. Heck, I'd prefer an 11X17 landscape format tome with the occasional 11X36 and even 11X48 foldout. So long as I'm dreaming, I'd prefer to sell in quantities that would rank up there with such serious literature as sparkly teen vampires and child wizards. But them's the breaks.

If you buy an unreasonable number of copies right at launch, they'll keep the printers busy making more. So don't worry about cornering the market on these books.

The economics favors the bookazines. By a *lot.*
I know that one bookazine is cheaper than one book of the same content, but it surprises me that three separate bookazines are *a lot* cheaper than combined into one hardcover.

Moreover: for a lot of customers it will not be if they have to pay three times shipping costs instead of once.

I know that one bookazine is cheaper than one book of the same content, but it surprises me that three separate bookazines are *a lot* cheaper than combined into one hardcover.

It's not just cost to print, but sales. I suspect detailed discussion of sales numbers might not be my best course of action, but it's clear that people are likely to see a ten-pound bookazine and go "sure, that's in my budget" more readily than a 35-pound hardback.

Well, it is British, and has enjoyed something of a springtime in popular culture recently, especially among the World of Tanks set.

;)

:D

Orionblamblam Sadly TOG has more recently in UK acquired another connection with this site and the ages of some of us who visit it.
There is no truth in the rumour that a consortium of British businessmen led by Maurice Picarda OBE has been offering Ukraine TOG tanks at a discount price.

Attachments

• two-togs-r.jpg
    two-togs-r.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 153
  • TWO_do-i-come-here-often_1720_3141.jpg
    TWO_do-i-come-here-often_1720_3141.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 127