US Requirements

DWG

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'm reasonably au fait with the US designation system for individual designs, but did the US have any sort of defined system for naming requirements rather than the submissions to them? Occasionally I'll come across references to R-40C and the like, but was there a system behind them similar to the UK F.5/34 and the like scheme?

Not one, but many standards... SOR, GOR, WS, MX, SR, than competitions, two or three, or more-letters acronyms (AX, actually used twice, , VAL, TFX, VFX, FX, AMSA, VAX, used twice, AFTI, etc etc etc). Andreas devoted a sizable site to them...

I'm familiar enough with the current system, but I'm mostly curious about earlier stuff and, while Andreas' site addresses the MX and WS systems, requirements like R-40C seem to predate them without any clear indication of what system was in place. For that matter MX and WS numbers seems to cover contracted development work rather than being some sort of invitation to tender.

I guess what I'm looking for is something like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Air_Ministry_Specifications but for US projects

I'm familiar enough with the current system, but I'm mostly curious about earlier stuff and, while Andreas' site addresses the MX and WS systems, requirements like R-40C seem to predate them without any clear indication of what system was in place. For that matter MX and WS numbers seems to cover contracted development work rather than being some sort of invitation to tender.

I guess what I'm looking for is something like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Air_Ministry_Specifications but for US projects
The following threads should answer this question:

The American Secret Projects volumes contain lists of USAAC/USAAF/USAF and US Navy requirements for American combat and transport aircraft designed since the 1930s. Note that the Navy originally used the prefix SD for aircraft specifications but later changed it to OS and eventually TS. Also note that the WS-302, WS-110, and WS-202 designators covered operational requirements (see, for example, contenders for WS-302 contest).

Also note that I asked that question 13 years ago!