Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
In early 1950, the following companies submitted these designs to a Navy specification calling for an HP class (Patrol) helicopter with ASW (anti-submarine warfare) capability, a brand new mission for the helicopter at the time. None was selected in the end (source: Spangenberg Index, April 1950).

• Curtiss-Wright P-592
  • Gyrodyne 9 Helidyne
  • Hughes 212
  • Kellett KH-9
  • McDonnell 73/A/B/C/D
  • Pennsylvania Aircraft Syndicate (designation unknown)
  • Piasecki PD-22B
  • Piasecki PH-26/A Convertaplane
  • Sikorsky XHPS/-(A)/-( B )/-(C)

Greetings All -

A rather impressive model of the McDonnell Model 73 ASW is on EPay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McDONNELL-AIRCRAFT-CORP-MODEL-73-A-S-W-HELICOPTER-DESK-TOP-MODEL-PROTOTYPE-/371515666696?hash=item56800f3108:g:G1wAAOSwf-VWa4Fc

Having issues downloading all the images so if someone else can give it a try and post, I'd be most appreciative!

Merry Christmas! Mark

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 504
  • c5765.jpg
    c5765.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 485
  • c5764.jpg
    c5764.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 456
  • c5763.jpg
    c5763.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 436
Re: McDonnell Model 73 ASW Display Model

Nice find my dear Mark.

Re: McDonnell Model 73 ASW Helicopter

:)

Attachments

• c5752.jpg
    c5752.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 87
  • c5755.jpg
    c5755.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 78
  • c5756.jpg
    c5756.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 73
  • c5757.jpg
    c5757.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 82
  • c5751.jpg
    c5751.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 100
  • c5750.jpg
    c5750.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 93
  • c5749.jpg
    c5749.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 91
  • c5748.jpg
    c5748.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 97
  • c5747.jpg
    c5747.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 95
  • c5745.jpg
    c5745.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 655

Attachments

• c5760.jpg
    c5760.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 58
  • c5759.jpg
    c5759.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 62
  • c5758.jpg
    c5758.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 68

Aahh, got the rest downloaded at home....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

(pictures see above)

...and the last pics.... Mark

Attachments

• c5761.jpg
    c5761.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 55
  • c5759.jpg
    c5759.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 64

Thanks very much for that. It looks like a V-tail, single-engine variation on the McDonnell HJD/HJH proposed for the Navy 1950 ASW helicopter competition that was won by Bell Helicopter with what became the HSL.

Merry Christmas gents!

An interesting find!
Seemingly very compact design.
Anyone want to take a guess on the era of the program?

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Merry Christmas gents!

An interesting find!
Seemingly very compact design.
Anyone want to take a guess on the era of the program?

Era? 2419 AD? No gas bag, no wing, no rotor, no nozzle? How does it fly?

A derivative of the XHJH Whirlaway ? The position of the rotor outriggers/wings are recognisable
on the model, I think.

That looks likely. The outline of the wing position is shown with what I'd guess is the transmission shaftline.

Hmm - I thought I posted this already. It's almost certainly, as has been stated, a V-tail, single-engine variation on the XHJD that was probably proposed for the U.S. Navy's 1950 ASW helicopter competition that was won by Bell Helicopter with what became the HSL.

Nearly 2300 bucks for just the fuselage of an obscure (and not particularly impressive) helicopter design seems like a lot of dough to me... Nice find nonetheless, thanks.

Still hasn't found a home: http://www.ebay.com/itm/McDONNELL-AIRCRAFT-CORP-MODEL-73-A-S-W-HELICOPTER-DESK-TOP-MODEL-PROTOTYPE/371652228248?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Tailspin Turtle said:
Hmm - I thought I posted this already. It's almost certainly, as has been stated, a V-tail, single-engine variation on the XHJD that was probably proposed for the U.S. Navy's 1950 ASW helicopter competition that was won by Bell Helicopter with what became the HSL.

Maybe different pylons like the single engine 1000 hp Platt-LePage Transport design, that was proposed at the same time as the PL-9...

Odds are that V tail wouldn't have survived long into flight testing, since McDonnell almost cracked up the Whirlaway when the Platt-LePage engineers working at McDonnell, warned them not to fly the XHJD-1 beyond certain limits without having enough horizontal stabilizer area.

The McDonnell test pilot pushed the tailless XHJD-1 into some major oscillations, after being warned not to go any faster by the flight engineer who was from Platt-LePage.

When they got the Whirlaway back on the ground, my friend from Platt-LePage, jumped out the helicopter and walked back to the hangers, refusing to get back in the helicopter until McDonnell installed the tail surfaces on the XHJD-1.

McDONNELL AIRCRAFT CORP. MODEL-73 A.S.W. HELICOPTER DESK TOP MODEL PROTOTYPE

McDONNELL AIRCRAFT CORP. MODEL-73 A.S.W. HELICOPTER DESK TOP MODEL PROTOTYPE found on eBay

Source:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/McDONNELL-AIRCRAFT-CORP-MODEL-73-A-S-W-HELICOPTER-DESK-TOP-MODEL-PROTOTYPE/371652228248?hash=item568832f498:g:G1wAAOSwf-VWa4Fc

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 197
Re: McDONNELL AIRCRAFT CORP. MODEL-73 A.S.W. HELICOPTER DESK TOP MODEL PROTOTYPE

And the price remains the same.

I have tried to work a deal so we can add that to our Museum's collection but alas, to no avail...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Re: McDONNELL AIRCRAFT CORP. MODEL-73 A.S.W. HELICOPTER DESK TOP MODEL PROTOTYPE

Mark Nankivil said:
And the price remains the same.

I have tried to work a deal so we can add that to our Museum's collection but alas, to no avail...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Yup, this seller does not negotiate, ever. Some of his models stay on eBay for 2-3 years (and listings cost money) at the same price. If I win the lottery, I will buy it and send it to you.

Mighty kind of you! When I win, I'll return the favor!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

OK Pundits,

Here is another one or your thinking caps.

we have been commissioned to do a rotor system for this and trying to decide if this would have been a 3 blade hot cycle rotor like the XHCH-1 or a 5 blade conventional arrangement.

I'm leaning towards the former but a 2 blade tail rotor? Seems to be original.......

Ideas and thoughts welcome, and sorry..... not for sale or trade.

Attachments

• 20181028_114805_1540753143189 2.jpeg
    20181028_114805_1540753143189 2.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 805
  • XHCH-1 rotor.jpg
    XHCH-1 rotor.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 768
Hi Allysonca,

the designation is wrong,nothing called XHPS-1,can you tell us what the right
one ?.

I am unsure of the correct designation and the numbers I have stated are on the fuselage side so anyone's guess is as good as mine. I DO love these mysteries. There was a suggestion that this could be a Sikorsky, but I have my doubts.

allysonca said:
I am unsure of the correct designation and the numbers I have stated are on the fuselage side so anyone's guess is as good as mine. I DO love these mysteries. There was a suggestion that this could be a Sikorsky, but I have my doubts.

Could the large waterdrop-shaped fairings on the wingtips have been nacelles for radial engines?

Please change the title into; Sikorsky XHPS-A,and thanks.

Silencer1 said:
allysonca said:

Could the large waterdrop-shaped fairings on the wingtips have been nacelles for radial engines?

Seems more likely they were floats to give some amphibious capability.

Edit: I'm wrong. Seems like they probably were radials, in the same tradition as the S-56 and XHRS.

Perhaps, helicopter designation describes it's function: P for Partol - actually, antisubmarine warfare?
The sphere under fuselage belly could be radar or sonar, and the rear cabin has been intended for crewmembers, operating the search equipment. Just my guess.

Curiously, in the Sikorsky' list of S numbers there is no mention about XHPS.

P.S. What's orange model represents?

Check the link Hesham gave. This project was indeed for a Patrol (ASW) helicopter.

TomS said:
Check the link Hesham gave. This project was indeed for a Patrol (ASW) helicopter.

Thank you, TomS!
I read post at this link earlier, but without proper attention. :-\

hesham said:
Hi Allysonca,

it's Sikorsky of course,and called XHPS-A,not -1,and logically it had a three blades,too
small to fitted with five blades.

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9868.msg91413.html#msg91413

Please Moderator,modify the title.

I'd love to ! As soon, as there's a proof for the assumption, that it is a Sikorsky design ...

Jemiba said:
I'd love to ! As soon, as there's a proof for the assumption, that it is a Sikorsky design ...

The inscription on the model could be a clue, but not a proof.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 564
Where's the proof, please ? ???

"XHPS" probably stands for Experimental (X), Helicopter (H),
Patrol (P) and maybe Shipborne (S). That would be valid for all contenders. That we
don't have an internal designation for the Sikorsky proposal, but only the short for the intended
role doesn't make things easier.
But I merged both topics, as it may give a better overview.

Jemiba said:
"XHPS" probably stands for Experimental (X), Helicopter (H),
Patrol (P) and maybe Shipborne (S). That would be valid for all contenders. That we
don't have an internal designation for the Sikorsky proposal, but only the short for the intended
role doesn't make things easier.
But I merged both topics, as it may give a better overview.

My guess, that XHPS has been named according to US Navy' designation system,
eXperimental Helicopter Patrol, Sikorsky.
Compare this with US Navy HO2S and HO3S designations for Sikorsky R-5 helicopters.
Perhaps, taking in account model's inscription and some similarity to later Sikorsky helicopter - addition of "Sikorsky" to topic' name would be useful?