ptdockyard

"Pick out the biggest and commence firing"
Joined
19 January 2014
Messages
149
Reaction score
261
Trying to research a design listed in Avalanche Press’ Great War at Sea: Plan Red game module for a US fast armored cruiser with 8-10” guns. I looked through Norman Friedman’s book on US Cruiser Design History and see some collateral mention of design studies in 1906 with no real specifics.

I am wondering if there is more in Musicant’s book on US Armored cruisers, which I don’t have. Friedman alludes to a number of design studies in 1906 that go unlisted and undescribed for the most part.

As I have found out researching other things, there is much that is left out from these design history books. Mike Bennighof from Avalanche Games seems to start with at least a kernel of historical fact for many of the designs he has. On the site below he says:

“One study looked at a fast armored cruiser armed with eight 10-inch/40-caliber guns, finding great favor in the 1906 report on future naval construction. A larger version, with 12-inch guns, was also suggested. ”

http://www.avalanchepress.com/1910_battle_cruiser.php
I think there has to be at least a preliminary listing of specifications for this one. Can anyone shed some light on this one?

Dave
 
Last edited:
Sorry for the (very) late reply: Musicant doesn't provide any details into what was to follow the Big Ten. My copy is in storage right now, but I DO recall a mention of a vague idea for a vessel with 2 twin 12 turrets and 20 @ 3-inch guns. I honestly don't recall a ship with 8 @ 10 inchers
 
That many guns of the same caliber is definitely a post-Dreadnought concept. Possibly post-New York class so the guns are superfiring.

Hey, @Tzoli ? Is this a design you've run across?
 
No, Friedman does not mention any other armoured cruiser past the Tennessee class. Some studies likely made for the long-range building programme of 1903 consisting of replacing the old protected cruisers with new 8" ones but nothing concrete:
Untitled.png
 
No, Friedman does not mention any other armoured cruiser past the Tennessee class. Some studies likely made for the long-range building programme of 1903 consisting of replacing the old protected cruisers with new 8" ones but nothing concrete:
View attachment 796849
Friedman DOES mention that the navy briefly looked at an armored cruiser in the context of Battlecruiser studies. A cruiser armored like a battleship, but with 4 big guns and the other guns replaced by boilers. This 'reciprocal cruiser' as it was referred to seems similar in concept to the Japanese Ikoma, but likely faster. I do not think it got as far as a spring style.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom