US Navy “Fast Armored Cruiser”?

ptdockyard

"Pick out the biggest and commence firing"
Reaction score
Trying to research a design listed in Avalanche Press’ Great War at Sea: Plan Red game module for a US fast armored cruiser with 8-10” guns. I looked through Norman Friedman’s book on US Cruiser Design History and see some collateral mention of design studies in 1906 with no real specifics.

I am wondering if there is more in Musicant’s book on US Armored cruisers, which I don’t have. Friedman alludes to a number of design studies in 1906 that go unlisted and undescribed for the most part.

As I have found out researching other things, there is much that is left out from these design history books. Mike Bennighof from Avalanche Games seems to start with at least a kernel of historical fact for many of the designs he has. On the site below he says:

“One study looked at a fast armored cruiser armed with eight 10-inch/40-caliber guns, finding great favor in the 1906 report on future naval construction. A larger version, with 12-inch guns, was also suggested. ”

I think there has to be at least a preliminary listing of specifications for this one. Can anyone shed some light on this one?

Dave

Last edited: