US Naval Institute FLAUNT Concept

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Hi! Private design FLAUNT.
She carries 6 VTOL fighters. Gross weight 775ton, Length : 105m. A flying carrier. ;D
Source : American magazine "Proceedings April, 1985"
スキージャンプ : Ski jump

Attachments

• FLAUNT.jpg
    FLAUNT.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 941
  • FLAUNT DRAWING.jpg
    FLAUNT DRAWING.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 953
  • FLAUNT.jpg
    FLAUNT.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 927
Interesting find indeed, just the date of publishing (April 1985 ?) makes me a lilttle bit suspicious.
What does "FLAUNT" stands for ? Maybe something like "Free Lance April-fool
Undocumented News Theme " ? ;)

Jemiba said:
Interesting find indeed, just the date of publishing (April 1985 ?) makes me a lilttle bit suspicious.
What does "FLAUNT" stands for ? Maybe something like "Free Lance April-fool
Undocumented News Theme " ? ;)
If so, it is considered the April Fool's Day with which the hand was crowded fairly. ;D

Well, judging the Loening Flying Aircraft Carrier, it doesn't seem to be totally unplausible, but
honestly I can read only small parts of the text, maybe I need new glasses ... ;D
Is there a clear indication in the text, that it was seriously considered ?

Almost nothing in Japanese text without we already knew.

エレベーター : Elevator、 発着甲板 : Flight deck、格納甲板 : Storing deck、補給を受ける上陸用舟艇 : Landing craft which receives supply

What is the bottom pillar?

Hi!

http://z11.invisionfree.com/shipbucket/ar/t604.htm

What is this? Fake?

Attachments

• wip_20081215.png
    wip_20081215.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 714
  • wip_20081019.png
    wip_20081019.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 675
  • usa_cv_flaunt_1_au.png
    usa_cv_flaunt_1_au.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 253
IIRC it was an actual proposal in US Naval Institute Proceedings. It was a rather extreme exstension of the concept behind the Japanese ASW flying boats but with the variable dept sonar scaled to make the plane a spar buoy when deployed, so it would be very stable in rough weather. Of course the scale was rather exuberant and one version did have Harriers which combined to make the whole idea seem rather silly, so I don't think it was ever seriously pursued.

Many thanks Brickmuppet !
That seems to make clear the source it came from. Maybe someone has access to the Proceedings magazine
published by the US Naval Institute ?
This concept reminds me on the Lockheed Seastar, although even bigger. As I understand, the Seastar was intended
to replace a frigate sized warship (probably not on a 1 : 1 basis !). so this one here maybe was a kind of flying Sea Control
Ship ?
(I've changed the title somewhat, if there are better ideas, please let me know )

Brickmuppet said:
IIRC it was an actual proposal in US Naval Institute Proceedings.

And the USNIP information is given in the upper right corner of the last picture in Blackkite's post. Pictures by our very own RP1 no less.

Figures that USNI's online archive skips from the 1960s to 1986.

SDASM Archives said:
Flaunt Fleet Air Ultra Naval transport sitting 25 above waves on rsbs retractable spar buoy stabilizer concept and design by Thomas P. Faulconer artist Joe Ferrara date 1985 includes plaque and article by designer on back
Link:
https://flic.kr/p/Z1XwJm

Edit:
I moved this post from the topic "San Diego Air and Space Museum Archive".
Thanks, Silencer1!

Attachments

• 20170929_ Fleet Air Ultra Naval transport_37423170312_55895f0b9f_o.jpg
    20170929_ Fleet Air Ultra Naval transport_37423170312_55895f0b9f_o.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 236