Unidentified 1921 (Dornier?) flying boat project

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
The U.S. Navy archives at NARA include a single card file for an unusual, and sadly unidentified, flying boat design of 1921.
Although I suppose it must have been American, there is no absolute certainty about it.
Does this design ring a bell with anyone?
Original image: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/31485275

Attachments

• 165-ww-185D-050 (cropped).jpg
    165-ww-185D-050 (cropped).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 75
Perhaps related to this?
Looks bigger, plus this one has twin tandem engines while mine only has one pair in tandem configuration. Still, Dornier may be a good guess, given several details such as the shape of the cockpit and front hull and the tandem-engine configuration.

After checking my Dornier files, the only design that came close was this notional drawing for a Dornier-designed torpedo-carrying hull. Both the stepped hull and the tail look very close to the model... except this is a monoplane, of course, not a sesquiplane.

Attachments

• 1711205478496.png
    1711205478496.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 26
I think, that passenger version of Dornier J Wal (Cabina Wal), built in Italy, is the closest match to these images.

From the Wikipedia - A Wal at Slite, Gotland, on the Danzig-Stockholm route in 1925

Attachments

• IDIAR-1.jpeg
    IDIAR-1.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 27
According to Fred Gütschow "Die deutschen Flugboote", , this drawing shows the first design for the "Verkehrs-Wal" (Traffic Whale), fitted with two bladed props.
The windows are arranged differently, but a window pane at the very front, and that low may have not been a good idea anyway.

Attachments

• Verkehrs-Wal.jpg
    Verkehrs-Wal.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 37
For me , it is the GS II (Note the two blades propellers , the Wall had usually four blades prop )
According to Fred Gütschow "Die deutschen Flugboote", , this drawing shows the first design for the "Verkehrs-Wal" (Traffic Whale), fitted with two bladed props. The windows are arranged differently, but a window pane at the very front, and that low may have not been a good idea anyway.
Thanks folks. Went to my "Wal" file and found that design listed as the G II.

Attachments

• Wal versions.gif
    Wal versions.gif
    406.5 KB · Views: 43
I think, that actual name of this flying boat was Gs II, as the further development of Gs I. Dornier company' factory in Lindau uses non-standart for the German military aviation designations for some of their designs. So, Gs, could means "Grossfulgzeug, See" (Large aircraft, sea-based). There were a number of "G"-types of other companies, mostly land-based 2-engine bombers.
I found a picture of Gs II mock-up in the Manfred Griehl book "Dornier Wal". Book not suitable for scanning so I made a photo, hence the distortions.

Attachments

• Dornier_Gs II_mock-up.jpg
    Dornier_Gs II_mock-up.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24