U.S Navy LAMPS (Light Airborne Multi-Purpose System) Competition

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
U.S Navy LAMPS (Light Airborne Multi-Purpose System).
I have just discovered that the U.S Navy's LAMPS competition was responded too by the following:
Boeing – Modified and assessed a prototype Messerschmitt Bolkow Blohm (MBB) Bo-105, and entered it into the LAMPS II competition.
The U.S Navy would evaluated three modified in-production helicopter designs to meet their LAMPS II requirements:
Kaman HH-2D
Westland WG.13 (Lynx)
Bell UH-1N
Also of note is the Bell Model 608 (I think it was a modified Model 206L Long Ranger?), equipped with folding rotor, MAD and a torpedo.
Can anyone verify these contenders?
Has anyone got pics or technical data of these LAMPS contenders?

Note:
The LAMPS II requirement was cancelled by the US Navy in favour of LAMPS Mk III.

Regards
Pioneer

Just found this:

Sikorsky Aircraft Division of United Aircraft Corp and Westland Aircraft jointly announced on July 22 (1970) that they were negotiating an agreement for a marketing programme to present the Westland WG.13 (Lynx) in the United States as Sikorsky’s candidate for the U.S Navy’s proposed light airborne multi-purpose system (LAMPS).
Sikorsky said that it had made an extensive study of the requirement and selected the WG.13 because it represented the more advanced design and had the greatest present and future potential in growth and speed, both important for LAMPS aircraft. The U.S company (Sikorsky) commented that “no other helicopter, now or soon to be available comes as close to meeting the full LAMPS requirement as the WG.13”. (From: Flight International, 6 August, 1970)
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1970/1970%20-%201488.html

By curious coincidence, I ran into a site containing, among other things, a number of ads by Sikorsky for the SeaLynx LAMPS...

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/50i17mq0r75gby.jpg

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/lsienhm76fk5xu.jpg

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/yqt4pqprca6dw6.jpg

Great! I wasn't aware of the SeaLynx proposal. Too bad the pics are very small, but it's a very good start. Thanks for sharing!

The fact that Sikorsky considered production of the Lynx is very interesting.

Hughes Helicopters also offered a version of their OH-6 in 1969 to the Navy as a possible LAMPS contender. I guess it was found to be too small for the LAMPS mission but Hughes possibly hoped to interest the Navy in their helicopter as a short-range sub-hunter based on destroyers and frigates. Hughes flew a prototype LAMPS Model 500 with two torpedoes fitted and carrying "Navy" titles in 1969.

500 Fan.

Here are two slightly larger versions of the SeaLynx ads, plus an extra one that's not from Sikorsky but which obviously corresponds to the same program.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqIOKjgE1qmVzIejBNrNFWC7!!~~0_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqIOKjgE1qmVzIejBNrNFWC7!!~~0_3.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,565
  • $(KGrHqIOKpME1qbSZIfRBNrkT0CzR!~~0_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqIOKpME1qbSZIfRBNrkT0CzR!~~0_3.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,553
  • w9loet1ov7m02c.jpg
    w9loet1ov7m02c.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,514
Thank you gentlemen for your interest!
And an even bigger thank you for your productive contribution to this forum!!

SeaLynx!! - now that might make a difference in my search!

The fact that Sikorsky considered production of the Lynx is very interesting.
You have to remember that Sikorsky and Westland had a very close and productive relationship for a few decades (Westland lucratively license-manufacturing numerous Sikorsky helicopter designs).
The fact that Sikorsky had no smallish ASW-type designs of their own, I dare say meant that Westland could reciprocate the arrangement for a change!
In fact, I would love to see a Lynx in USN livery (perhaps on 'What If' Forum Stargazer ;) )

Hughes Helicopters also offered a version of their OH-6 in 1969 to the Navy as a possible LAMPS contender.

Wow thanks 500 Fan!!
Do you have pictures to go with this?? :p

Regards
Pioneer

Stargazer2006 said:
Great! I wasn't aware of the SeaLynx proposal. Too bad the pics are very small, but it's a very good start. Thanks for sharing!

You are most welcome.
Thanks for the larger versions, too.

Interesting enough smaller navies are using the BO-105 and OH-6/MD-500 airframes such as Colombia, Mexico, Philippines, Spain. But for sure it is interesting to see the pamphlets for the proposed Long Ranger and BO-105 for LAMPS and looking forward to see them posted. I, myself am quite surprised to see our Lynx being put forward for the LAMPS competition 4 decades ago.

Pioneer, I have no photos to share, unfortunately. There is one photo in Wayne Mutza's book "Loach", but I don't want to infringe on the copyright by posting that photo on the web. There are two photos available on the web, but I'm not able to link to them. If you do a search in the "Flight Global Archives", you will find them. Do the search under "Hughes OH-6A ASW" between the years of 1969 and 1971. The file numbers for the two pages with the photos are "1969-1163" and "1970-0234". The second photo shows the prototype fitted with a MAD Bird. It looks like this served as the prototype for the Hughes 500M/ASW purchased by Spain in the early seventies. If anyone has any other photos of the Hughes 500 ASW prototype, I'd love to see them. Thanks.

500 Fan.

Hi Pioneer and all friends,
searching my archives I found some pictures of the various LAMPS II and III proposals.
Unfortunately, I remember a sketch (perhaps from an ad appeared on 'Aviation Week') of a Bell proposal different from the AB-212/UH-1N derivative and vaguely resembling Model 222, but I was unable to retrieve it.
I found the mock-up of the Boeing LAMPS MK.II (a dedicated version of the MBB, former Boelkow, Bo 105) and the subsequent LAMPS MK.III, based on the V-179/YUH-61A losing UTTAS proposal, the mock-up of the Kaman LAMPS MK.III (in folded and unfolded configurations) and an artist's impression of the Hughes LAMPS MK.III proposal.
Enjoy

Nico

Attachments

• Sikorsky S-70B-YSH-60B prot.jpg
    Sikorsky S-70B-YSH-60B prot.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 247
  • Hughes LAMPS III proposal.jpg
    Hughes LAMPS III proposal.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Kaman LAMPS III mock-up.jpg
    Kaman LAMPS III mock-up.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 243
  • Kaman LAMPS III m-u (folded).jpg
    Kaman LAMPS III m-u (folded).jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Boeing LAMPS III Mock-up.jpg
    Boeing LAMPS III Mock-up.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,374
  • Boeing (MBB) LAMPS II mock-up.jpg
    Boeing (MBB) LAMPS II mock-up.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 1,388
Nico, you've made my day. I'd already heard of the Boeing Vertol Executaire, a licensed Bö 105, but not of a LAMPS derivative! And that Hughes design is complete news to me... So thanks a bunch!

Thanks for that great selection of images, Nico. If you have any more information on any Hughes LAMPS helicopter, be it a version of the Model 500 or another, like the Hughes LAMPS III, I'd love to see it. Thanks.

500 Fan.

Dear 500 fan,
I have only a faint memory of a Model 369/500 armed with two light torpedoes but it could be a proposal from the Italian licensee Breda Nardi, offered to Italian Navy as a competitor of the Agusta-Bell AB-212 ASW. For the moment I fail to find any photograph or impression but if I find one surely I'll post it here.
About the AB-212 ASW officially it was even depicted as an in-house development, based on the experience of the previous AB-204 AS (a "marinised" version of the UH-1B), but sometime the press referred to it as "the Ialian LAMPS" and we cannot rule-out some connections between the Bell LAMPS Mk.II proposal and the Agusta-Bell AB-212 ASW.
Nico

Hi,

for the Hughes proposal,I think it was Model-1000,and may be it led to develop the
Model-2000 ?!.

Attachments

• Hughes-2000_01.JPG
    Hughes-2000_01.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 173
Many thanks to everyone for On a lighter media based note regarding the proposed BO105 ASW variant, I wonder if Irwin Kershner and his producers for Never Say Never Again read the LAMPS proposal and decided to put a 'what if' as there's a BO105 in USN colours hoisting Sean Connery from the wells near the end of the movie where he rescues Kim Basinger!

I worked with the BO105 for a few years in the parapublic marketplace and it's one heck of a good light twin beasty. When it first came out in the late 60s early 70s it was ahead of it's time.

Btw according to a Spanish military magazine which had a Spanish Naval Aviation special in March 2004 as it was the 50th anniversary, there was a chapter dedicated to each squadron and one was that flew the Hughes 369 (formerly ASW role) in the laser targeting/FAC role, supporting their Marines. Anyhow there was subjected to replacement by BO105 as there was a photo of a proposed variant model.

photo1.jpg

Cheers

Maybe they just liked the Bo 105. IIRC, there's another JB movie (I'm not fan, so.....) that has a Bo 105 dressed in Soviet markings doing something.

RavenOne said:
Many thanks to everyone for On a lighter media based note regarding the proposed BO105 ASW variant, I wonder if Irwin Kershner and his producers for Never Say Never Again read the LAMPS proposal and decided to put a 'what if' as there's a BO105 in USN colours hoisting Sean Connery from the wells near the end of the movie where he rescues Kim Basinger!
I worked with the BO105 for a few years in the parapublic marketplace and it's one heck of a good light twin beasty. When it first came out in the late 60s early 70s it was ahead of it's time.

Btw according to a Spanish military magazine which had a Spanish Naval Aviation special in March 2004 as it was the 50th anniversary, there was a chapter dedicated to each squadron and one was that flew the Hughes 369 (formerly ASW role) in the laser targeting/FAC role, supporting their Marines. Anyhow there was subjected to replacement by BO105 as there was a photo of a proposed variant model.

Cheers
RavenOne said:

Cheers

Wow......fantastic effort and contribution Nico, with your grouse pics!!!!

Thanks heaps ;D

Regards
Pioneer

Still looking at that matter, I found two more pics:
one is the roll-out of the Boeing LAMPS III proposal mock-up. The caption (from Aviation Week) reads:
Boeing Vertol mockup of its candidate for the U. S. Navy's light airborne multipurpose system (Lamps) helicopter competition is rolled out at the firm's Philadelphia, Pa, production plant.
The second one is more interesing as depicts:
Kaman Sealite helicopter design, based on company's UH-2 dynamic system and powered by two United Aircraft of Canada PT6T-400-CP-480 engines.
I think the Sealite was an UH-2C derivative designed for LAMPS I or II.
Nico

Attachments

• Boeing LAMPS III.jpg
    Boeing LAMPS III.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Kaman Sealite.jpg
    Kaman Sealite.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,125
The Kaman K-820 Sealite was proposed for the LAMPS III competition.

Here is a three-view plan, and a series of pictures of the mock-up, which looked a lot more like a regular Seasprite than the artwork.

Attachments

• sealite-small.jpg
    sealite-small.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,066
  • sealite-3view.gif
    sealite-3view.gif
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,071
...answering Fan 500 request, I finally found those 1980 pictures depicting the Hughes Model 500M-D ASW Defender; I think that copter was offered also by the Italian licensee BredaNardi.
ASW configuration Defender was not related with LAMPS effort but perhaps implemented some naval features of previous projects for LAMPS I and II requirements

Nico

Attachments

• Hughes 500M-D:ASW.jpg
    Hughes 500M-D:ASW.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 145
  • NH 500MD-ASW_118.jpg
    NH 500MD-ASW_118.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 174
Bell 608 from "The Bell Helicopter Textron Story" by David Brown:

Attachments

• Belll 608.jpg
    Belll 608.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 150

Attachments

• 6312672189_f33d65fd16_b.jpg
    6312672189_f33d65fd16_b.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 6313193270_7a13fa1457_b.jpg
    6313193270_7a13fa1457_b.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 6313193102_9328ed9788_b.jpg
    6313193102_9328ed9788_b.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 200
fightingirish said:

Here's another photo of the same helicopter (N1366X, c/n 11), mis-captioned as a "BAC 206 Jet Ranger," at the SDASM Archives photostream.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/6334798035/in/photostream
6334798035_2cfdf9f798_z.jpg

LAMPS model, probably based on the Bell 206 Jet Ranger.

Source: Flickr Fotostream von San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives

Attachments

• Bell Huey helicopter model NHHS Photo 2.jpg
    Bell Huey helicopter model NHHS Photo 2.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Bell Huey helicopter model NHHS Photo 1.jpg
    Bell Huey helicopter model NHHS Photo 1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 132
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/6521868261/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/6521868267/

Attachments

• 6521868261_c23739f12c_o.jpg
    6521868261_c23739f12c_o.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 6521868267_c7f3647be2_o.jpg
    6521868267_c7f3647be2_o.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 102
I can't beleive it's a Jet Ranger OR a Huey!

fightingirish said:

famvburg said:
I can't beleive it's a Jet Ranger OR a Huey!

fightingirish said:

Neither can I - way to large for a Jet Ranger and way too small for a Huey

Reading about this today, apparently two of the Kaman Sealite would fit in the hangar of a Knox class and three would fit in the hangar of a Spruance. The variations in the types appearance may be explained by the fact that in 1969 the max gross weight was reported at 8,800lbs but by 1970 was being reported as 10,200lbs.

Last edited:
Two Bell advertisements about the LAMPS proposal:

Attachments

• 1971 Navy LAMPS Ship art Bell Helicopter 2-Page Ad.JPG
    1971 Navy LAMPS Ship art Bell Helicopter 2-Page Ad.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 1971 Bell Helicopter IBM Computer Navy LAMPS 2-Page Ad.jpg
    1971 Bell Helicopter IBM Computer Navy LAMPS 2-Page Ad.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 138
Westland factory model of proposed WG.13 LAMPS helicopter (U.S. Navy) from 1970.

Attachments

• Westland WG.13 USN LAMPS.jpg
    Westland WG.13 USN LAMPS.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 659
circle-5 said:
Westland factory model of proposed WG.13 LAMPS helicopter (U.S. Navy).

This was submitted jointly with Sikorsky.

Nice Taiwanese H-6... but what has this got to do with the LAMPS competition?!?

I mistook it for the Hughes Model 500M-D ASW Defender :(

SpudmanWP said:
I mistook it for the Hughes Model 500M-D ASW Defender :(

Ah, okay... You were right in fact, but I think it might have helped to use the "quote" function so that the connection to this topic could be made more obvious. I'd completely forgotten about why that Defender was in the thread in the first place... ::)

Nico said:
...answering Fan 500 request, I finally found those 1980 pictures depicting the Hughes Model 500M-D ASW Defender; I think that copter was offered also by the Italian licensee BredaNardi.
ASW configuration Defender was not related with LAMPS effort but perhaps implemented some naval features of previous projects for LAMPS I and II requirements

Hey great find with the 'Westland WG.13 factory model' circle-5
Love your work!!!!!

Regards
Pioneer

Stingray™ said:
Bell 608 from "The Bell Helicopter Textron Story" by David Brown:

I'd be very curious to know why the Bell Model 608 has been included in this topic. To the best of my knowledge, it was submitted for the little-known LASH (Light Anti Submarine Helicopter). What I do not know is how LASH fits in with the LAMPS competition. Any ideas?

I didn't even know it was a part of a different program. When Ray contributed the picture to my site in the parallel LAMPS topic I assumed it was also part of the same competition.

Stingray™ said:
I didn't even know it was a part of a different program. When Ray contributed the picture to my site in the parallel LAMPS topic I assumed it was also part of the same competition.

Well MAYBE it is! I wonder if LASH could be an inhouse designation by Bell for a LAMPS contender, hence my question...
We have three LAMPS competitions and three Bell contenders identified, and the 608 is none of them.
So my idea is that perhaps it was submitted as a second, later proposal for LAMPS (I) but I can find nothing on the subject.
Anyone, help! (I'm sure rotorwash would know, Travis).