Typhoon restoration for D Day memorial

OliverSedlacek

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
It would have been so fabulous to have the Hawker Typhoon rebuilt and flying (https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/hawker-typhoon-resurrecting-a-forgotten-legend.35557/) for the 80th memorail next year, but reading the newsletter, that wont be happening. The Typhoon played a major role before D day by destroying German radar installations and after D day in the CAS role. I'm sure there will be a BBMF flight for the commemoration, but seeing as the Hurricane was no longer significant by then, it's presence is debatable from a historic perspective.
Why does the Typhoon project struggle for main stream publicity? If members here spread the word, maybe this might change!
I'm just a supporter, and I don't want to come across as a chugger, but I suspect there must be others here who would love to see this warbird flying again.

The biggest limitation is the engine. Napier Saber engines retired soon after WW2, making it very difficult to find spare parts.
If you are willing to sacrifice some accuracy (e.g. exhaust note) you could substitute a Merlin or Allison engine. You would probably also need to ballast the nose, but the pu mic would never see the ballast.

The biggest limitation is the engine. Napier Saber engines retired soon after WW2, making it very difficult to find spare parts.
If you are willing to sacrifice some accuracy (e.g. exhaust note) you could substitute a Merlin or Allison engine. You would probably also need to ballast the nose, but the pu mic would never see the ballast.
The project goals are complete accuracy, so even the flare chute has been restored. The Sabre engine hasn't been that much of a stumbling block as they have a complete zero hours engine that has been preserved and on display in a technical college from the day it was produced. The most expensive part of the restoration are the wings because they will be manufactured from scratch (budget estimate £2.7-£3 million). They had been chopped off and discarded by the museum