ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is two unclear Boeing designs,one for Boeing as SST
aircraft of 1966,but they wright on it SA-983,and was
that mean Model-983 ?,and the second is a Boeing-recca-
strike of 1978,and I know Boeing had the same design as
Pre-ATF fighter not strike.

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/Additional_Photos_for_Unitary_and_Continuous-Flow_Hypersonic_Tunnels_4

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 378
starviking said:
2 resembles a Mach-5 aircraft that featured in Bill Gunston's Warplanes of the Future, if I recall correctly.

Flateric's first image in this post seems to be the same aircraft.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,398.msg2552.html#msg2552

The aircraft you're referencing in the link was not a Mach 5 aircraft, it was a supercruise demonstrator aircraft in the Mach 2 to 3 regime. I remember seeing the Boeing blue prints for it back in college when we were working on designs for the HSCT.

#2 resembles Boeing 1979 high speed heavy interceptor, 45 000 kg class posted here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,398.0.html

Please look at reply#4 from flateric

pometablava said:
#2 resembles Boeing 1979 high speed heavy interceptor, 45 000 kg class posted here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,398.0.html

Please look at reply#4 from flateric

I did and it's the design I'm talking about. It isn't a Mach 5 vehicle.

Sundog said:
starviking said:
2 resembles a Mach-5 aircraft that featured in Bill Gunston's Warplanes of the Future, if I recall correctly.

The aircraft you're referencing in the link was not a Mach 5 aircraft, it was a supercruise demonstrator aircraft in the Mach 2 to 3 regime. I remember seeing the Boeing blue prints for it back in college when we were working on designs for the HSCT.

I'm working from memory on the "Mach 5" regime, so it's liable to error. Does anyone have a copy of "Warplanes of the Future" handy to reference to see what Bill Gunston thought it was?

starviking said:
Sundog said:
starviking said:

I'm working from memory on the "Mach 5" regime, so it's liable to error. Does anyone have a copy of "Warplanes of the Future" handy to reference to see what Bill Gunston thought it was?

According to the picture caption (pg92), it was one of many Boeing ATF designs, specifically a "supercruise" warplane for sustained cruising and manoeuvring at Mach numbers well into the supersonic region. Shielded inlets to the engine pods which had unvectored nozzles. There was also a long internal weapon bay in the blended fuselage.

The image in the book is that of the first image in Flateric's post, but only shows the lower of the two aircraft in that image.

dunno where 'Mach 5' appeared from, I'll check my Gunston's copy in the evening
while a/c on artist's impresion is surely mid-wing, WT model is low-wing vehicle
but, otherwise, aerodynamic planform of both are very close

Hi,

I think it was 5 Mach fighter.

Attachments

• Boeing.jpg
    Boeing.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 359
Negative, it is just a supercruise aircraft concept.
For me, Mach 5 and beyond is hypersonic.
Picture caption:
Below: This was a Boeing Military Airplane Co [BMAC] came up with after USAF studies for a supercruise (supersonic cruise) fighter. It was planned with stealth in mind, but its IR signature and noise would be very obtrusive.
Source: Bill Gunston - Stealth Warplanes - Issue 1988 - page 37

Orionblamblam said:
flateric said:
Boeing 1979 high speed heavy interceptor, 45 000 kg class, and this-design-based SSBJ patent images
Since it has come up again, that's a Model 606. Probably a Model 733-606-12. Model 733 was a general holding-pen of a designation for Boeing SST designs, and there was a series of Model 733-606-XYZ designs (also at least one 733-602) that were not SSTs, but demonstrators, bombers and interceptors based on SST work. I don't really have much on them, though.
index.php

hesham said:
Hi,

I think it was 5 Mach fighter.

I can't get that from the page you posted - just supersonic cruise, I guess I must me thinking of a different aircraft - I have vague memories of a very large Lockheed design with large variable ramps in the book too. I did misremember the initial title of the book book though - I have 'Future Fighters' - the small digest sized hardback.

As I stated in my original post, we had the blue prints in college with the performance specs; it was not a Mach 5 aircraft. I wouldn't treat Gunston's work as a reliable resource, although I've enjoyed many of his books.

Sundog said:
As I stated in my original post, we had the blue prints in college with the performance specs; it was not a Mach 5 aircraft. I wouldn't treat Gunston's work as a reliable resource, although I've enjoyed many of his books.

Apologies, I didn't read your post clearly - my attention span has been degraded by 'todderitis'. To be honest though, Bill's book might not have made the Mach 5 claim, though the black colour scheme of the plane would certainly suggest speed to the Blackbird generation - which might be what happened to me ;)

The airplane in the first image is the Boeing 2707-100/200, given that the engines are mounted underneath the tailplane. More images of the wind tunnel of the VG Boeing 2707 are available at this link: