Tigerjäger Design B with L/70 gun

Ekrub

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I've been reading (mostly online) about some of the different design proposals and variants of the German Jagdtiger.

I've come across a proposal to mount a 12.8cm L/70 gun on the Jagdtiger or on the competing Tigerjäger Design B. (this is a different proposal than the L/66 that was also suggested)

Does anyone have any additional information on this armament? In particular, I'd greatly appreciate any images, even if they're more on the speculative side.

My main source on this is currently Tank Encyclopedia, and the proposal is mentioned on the page for the Jagdtiger and the Tigerjäger Design B.

Hope these will help.
first 2 pics from : The Spielberger German Armor and Military Vehicle Series: Heavy Jagdpanzer
another 2 from : Panzer tracts No.20-1

Screenshot 2023-10-16 092534.png Screenshot 2023-10-16 092729.png Screenshot 2023-10-16 093234.png Screenshot 2023-10-16 093433.png

That's a great piece of info! I've seen the proposal to mount the L/66 with that superstructure extension, and it sounds like the plan was the same for mounting the L/70 on the standard Jagdtiger, which makes sense.

If anyone has any more information/images of the L/70 mounted in the "Ferdinand" jagdtiger configuration, that'd be great. I've attached an image from Tank Encyclopedia's website that shows the configuration I'm referring to (without the L/70). It may be as simple as extending the barrel length, but I'm wondering if any more extensive design changes would have been required for this configuration.

Also, has anyone come across performance info on this 12.8 cm L/70? I'd think the figures be quite outstanding, but I don't think I've seen any values for muzzle velocity, penetration, etc.

Attachments

• IAbiWET.png
    IAbiWET.png
    861.1 KB · Views: 33
That's a great piece of info! I've seen the proposal to mount the L/66 with that superstructure extension, and it sounds like the plan was the same for mounting the L/70 on the standard Jagdtiger, which makes sense.

If anyone has any more information/images of the L/70 mounted in the "Ferdinand" jagdtiger configuration, that'd be great. I've attached an image from Tank Encyclopedia's website that shows the configuration I'm referring to (without the L/70). It may be as simple as extending the barrel length, but I'm wondering if any more extensive design changes would have been required for this configuration.

Also, has anyone come across performance info on this 12.8 cm L/70? I'd think the figures be quite outstanding, but I don't think I've seen any values for muzzle velocity, penetration, etc.
Design B with front engine is hard to find for its data. The 12.8 cm L/70 is even harder. I think German ,at this point, thought it was too much compromised, 9 metre barrel was the culprit here.