• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Thunderchief: The Complete History of the Republic's F-105 (DENNIS JENKINS)

bercr

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Dennis Jenkins next masterpiece:

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderchief-Complete-History-Republics-F-105/dp/1580072593/ref=sr_1_37?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1529878972&sr=1-37&keywords=aviation

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
On my list for sure. Used to love seeing those things take off out of Hill AFB as a kid.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this is good. My best reference for F-105 development to date is Robert D Archer's The Republic F-105 "Thunderchief" which is from 1969...

ov-101

Reaction score
I think it is the uprate edition of this book.

Attachments

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I hope this is good. My best reference for F-105 development to date is Robert D Archer's The Republic F-105 "Thunderchief" which is from 1969...
My best is this:

sferrin

Reaction score
I think I ended up with most of the pieces of that. (Various Classic Wings volumes.)

bercr

Reaction score
It's Specialty Press, not Schiffer. The layout is not that bad from my point of view. But quality standard (thickness of paper, reproduction of photos...) is not as good than during the «golden age» of SP between 2002 and 2008 (X-15, B-36, XB-70, pusher fighters, Us Air Force prototypes...)

hesham

Reaction score
Wow,thank you my dears Paul and Circle-5.

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Slightly off topic (sorry) but is there a photo somewhere with all the Century Fighters (100 101 102 104 105 106) flying in formation ? kudos if YF-107 among them...

Pasoleati

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
bercr said:
It's Specialty Press, not Schiffer. The layout is not that bad from my point of view.
"Not that bad"? Bloody hell, the book's layout is exemplary good! No nausea-causing raggety-baggety-right.

lansei

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
I got this book on order with Amazon. I can't wait to read this one. Specialty Press book lay-out is really nice and never had any problems with the photos. Century Jets is a good read.

sferrin

Reaction score
Archibald said:
Slightly off topic (sorry) but is there a photo somewhere with all the Century Fighters (100 101 102 104 105 106) flying in formation ? kudos if YF-107 among them...
I've never seen one.

Attachments

elmayerle

Reaction score
Pre-ordered mine directly from Specialty Press. The sale price, even with postage, was lower than what I'd pay Amazon and it eliminates the "middle man". Comments when mine arrives.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Got a notice from Specialty Press that the book would be delayed a few weeks, seems the weather-induced snarl in Chicago, along with some other factors, has slowed arrival of the printed books. I did find out I ordered early enough to get one autographed by the author, though.

GTX

Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
elmayerle said:
Got a notice from Specialty Press that the book would be delayed a few weeks, seems the weather-induced snarl in Chicago, along with some other factors, has slowed arrival of the printed books. I did find out I ordered early enough to get one autographed by the author, though.
Yeah, same here, though they seemed to blame everything but the weather... ;D

Unfortunately, this title is caught in a massive freight delay in Chicago due to -

1) A Chinese import surge that was caused by potential tariff increases
2) The Chinese New Year
3) Post-holiday traffic

We anticipate it may be another 2 to 3 weeks before this book will be available in our warehouse to ship to you.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed they said nothing about the weather, but I saw enough on the news to expect problems there. Apparently it's the coldest Chicago has been in decades and it has snarled many aspects of life in that city and environs (I have to wonder how the commuter lines running on overhead catenary lines fared).

martinbayer

Reaction score
elmayerle said:
Yes, I noticed they said nothing about the weather, but I saw enough on the news to expect problems there. Apparently it's the coldest Chicago has been in decades and it has snarled many aspects of life in that city and environs (I have to wonder how the commuter lines running on overhead catenary lines fared).
Simple - if they don't use electric heaters or hot-air blowers, they just heat the tracks with a toasty open fire: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a26090529/rail-company-tracks-fire-chicago/

GTX

Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
elmayerle said:
Yes, I noticed they said nothing about the weather, but I saw enough on the news to expect problems there.
Yeah, that’s what I thought and expected to be the delay reason which is why it was odd not to be mentioned.

elmayerle

Reaction score
martinbayer said:
elmayerle said:
Simple - if they don't use electric heaters or hot-air blowers, they just heat the tracks with a toasty open fire: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a26090529/rail-company-tracks-fire-chicago/
Thing is, the catenary, overhead power lines, are just hanging out there in the wind and weather. OTOH, steps must be available as there's lots of similar trackage in the Northeast part of the USA.

Pasoleati

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Back in the old days steam n trains ran on schedule even in cold weather..

elmayerle

Reaction score
I got an email that my copy has been shipped. I hope to have it within the next week. I'm rather looking forward to receiving it.

elmayerle

Reaction score
My copy arrived yesterday and, at first glance, looks to be superb, thorough, and encyclopedic. More as I get the opportunity to properly peruse it.

Sundog

Reaction score
Yeah, my copy showed up yesterday as well. I love the paint scheme on JF-3, I don't recall having seen that before.

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you please post some feedback about intermediate steps and unbuilt designs. The book is still unavailable in my country but I have on my list.
Thanks a lot.

2cobras

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Great book. Encyclopaedic as someone above posted. Specialty Press are publishing some excellent titles recently.
Congratulations to Mr. Jenkins for this magnum opus. His name is usually a sign of a winner.

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent book and I do like the overall layout. There are some excellent images of the XF-103 that have not been published before.

Look forward to reading thru it in greater detail.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

SOC

I look at pictures all day
Reaction score
Picked this up the other day. Ridiculously well done. My only gripe is the lack of an index, but it's so well organized that an index isn't really needed. This is worth the price for the background on SEAD tactics and the Weasel program alone.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a really nice and comprehensive book. Its certainly the definitive book on the F-105. Its pretty comprehensive on the development phase too, though I have a couple of images of early F-105 designs I think could have been included.