The world’s first extreme altitude missile armed Rocket powered Fighters.

Spark

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
UK Air Staff Target solutions based on Avro 720 and Saunders Roe SR177 both piggy-backed by the Avro Vulcan carrier aircraft. Can anyone help with information on the type of missile proposed please?

you got more data on this proposal ?
like the Year of the study.

for Avro 720 and SR177 had to be two de Havilland "Firestreak" air-to-air missiles
in later phase of the SR177 design, two Hawker Siddeley Dynamics "Red Top" air-to-air missiles

Hi
In the early, middle fifties contingency plans were drawn up to meet a perceived Soviet threat flagged up by Western Intelligence Agencies. First operational weapons platforms were to be based on UK/ Empire defence Rocket Fighters using Jet Reaction Controls both with a potential performance similar to the first phase North American X-15. I clearly remember circa 1956 reading about the proposal for the Avro 720 air launched rocket fighter the TAV research variant was only mentioned at the end of the report. So the work had to be ealier.
This was the first time I saw drawings of such a proposal. Ken Carline the chief designer did not recall such a proposal but he was replaced in the middle fifties, company politics.
The Saunders Roe SR177 all rocket variant with a PR9 Stentor was I think put forward in 1957 but there must have been corresponding earlier studies for the SR53. The cost of upgrading the basic aircraft with reaction controls for flight study purposes was put at £40,000 (1950’s £)
I assume the missile would have to be used at extreme altitude, 90,000ft plus, may be 150,000ft or more to deal with the potential Soviet threat, one assumes denial of air/space reconnaissance vehicle.

Michel Van said:
you got more data on this proposal ?
like the Year of the study.

for Avro 720 and SR177 had to be two de Havilland "Firestreak" air-to-air missiles
in later phase of the SR177 design, two Hawker Siddeley Dynamics "Red Top" air-to-air missiles

Spark said:
UK Air Staff Target solutions based on Avro 720 and Saunders Roe SR177 both piggy-backed by the Avro Vulcan carrier aircraft. Can anyone help with information on the type of missile proposed please?

First? I don't think so. Although the missile definition was a little vague: http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2012/11/and-now-for-something-completely.html

Hi,
UK Rocket fighter work stretched back to the end of the 2ndWW.
Both the Saunders Roe SR53 and the Avro 720 were serious designs and were actually built.
The Avro 728 canard delta rocket fighter was probably the best design of the type but was not put in to production and did not receive an order.
Only the SR 53 was flown. The first SR177s were being produced for the RAF/RN on an existing assembly line before cancellation.
The Convair Delta wing Ramjet rocket Fighter was a very early design that evolved into a range of superb fighters but with jet engines.

Tailspin Turtle said:
Spark said:

First? I don't think so. Although the missile definition was a little vague: http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2012/11/and-now-for-something-completely.html