Junkers/Doepp Rocket Fighter

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The 2013 issue of the German "Flieger Kalender" features an article about an early concept for a
rocket fighter, proposed by Philipp von Doepp in 1932 with a detailed report. Von Doepp was
working then for the "Forschungsanstalt Professor Junkers", so this concept can be regarded as
a Junkers concept. It was intended to be powered by five rocket engines, all of them used for the
vertical take-off, but only by two for cruising flight. Interestingly at least some of the nozzles or
engines were intended to be movable and so that's an early example for thrust vectoring !
The plane would have been armed with two guns and was to have been used as a short range
interceptor. It seems, the achievable thrust from those quite small engines was somewhat over-
estimated, as with an MTOW of 2.330 kg a maximum altitude of 15.000 m should have been reached
in 53 s with a speed of up to 1.080 km/h.
Nevertheless, it is said, that this concept more or less was the basis for the other early German
rocket fighter designs, like the He 176, von Brauns rocket fighter or the Fi 166.

Attachments

• Doepp_rocket-fighter_01.gif
    Doepp_rocket-fighter_01.gif
    117.7 KB · Views: 567
  • Doepp_rocket-fighter_02.jpg
    Doepp_rocket-fighter_02.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 549
Interesting design. I'm curious about what the canopy layout would look like.

This is my guess, based on the second drawing.

Attachments

• canopy_.jpg
    canopy_.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 299
Yes, seems to be a good reconstruction of the fuselage and cockpit shape. I just think, that
the latter just reach to the first frame/panel line and not beyond. So the cockpit would be a
bit smaller to my opinion, without thinking about level of detail, this design actually progressed to.

Thanks for your reply Jemiba.

Here's the finished model ready to be 3D printed in 6mm scale.

Attachments

• DoeppJunkers.png
    DoeppJunkers.png
    347.4 KB · Views: 179