• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

The Fireball XL ship that never was....

uk 75

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Those of us who grew up in the 1960s with the TV21 comic derived from the various Gerry Anderson TV shows remember the weird and wonderful machines featured.
After my BAOC Fireflash I decided to revisit Fireball XL5. In the TV21 summer special of 1966 there was a brief glimpse of a possible successor ship designated Fireball XL32. The view revealed little except that it had swing wings like Thunderbird 1.
Many years later a young Graham Bleathman drew his version of this ship in a short lived comic strip called AC21 in the Anderson Fan magazine SIG. I was lucky enough to meet Mr Bleathman but he did not remember the design.
Like the BAOC Fireflash I aim one day to get a model of XL32, but first I need some decent drawings.
I know some of you remember these things so hope you enjoy

Attachments

merriman

David Douglass Merriman lll
Reaction score
I still have a few issues of SIG. Did some work that appeared there. Who was the guy who did those excellent three-view drawings? … Ralph something-somethin? I also modeled some of that stuff. SIG was a quality fanzine -- up there with Newit's Starfleet Assembly Manuals, and the work of Garry Kerr.

David

uk 75

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I know the drawings you mean.
Sadly the XL32 design only appeared as a bunch of XL ships attacking something in the pretty awful.AC21 strip which tried to update the Anderverse. AC21 only appeared in three SIGs. The equipment was not so bad in black and white but the people and story were bad.