The End of History

It is something to dunk on facebook a thread over while dunking on anti not-fb in turn.

If one really believes social media as a danger and vigorous intervention is necessary: well here it is in action.

Last edited:
Our benevolent leaders here in the west will certainly protect us from the chicoms. We will never have to worry about compelled speech and censorship of "antisocial behavior".

I'm very afraid of the future. The oligarchs of the west, north, east, and south are all bloody monsters and have thousands of sycophants to laud their work and shout down all opposition. We are royally hosed, frens.

Edit: added another sentence.

Not the beginning of the end but end of the beginning....

An excellent - and scary - reading. Also pretty depressing. And scary.

One thing is sure: Wang is an appropriate name for that bastard. A good case could be made, Wang is one hell of a... dick.

I'll get my coat...

in the tradition of Tremblay, Talleyrand, Metternich, Kissinger, or Vladimir Putin adviser Vladislav Surkov.

The late Napoléon Bonaparte summarized his feelings toward Talleyrand in one short, colorfoul sentence

"Monsieur, vous n'êtes que de la merde dans un bas de soie"

(I only need to translate "bas de soie": "silk stocking". The rest of the sentence is pretty obvious even if you don't understand French.

Well okay then, for your pleasure only

"Mister, you are essentially a load a shit in a silk stocking.")

Addendum - It certainly applies perfectly to Kissinger - to think that creepy old thing is still alive... I'll pop some champagne the day he and Le Pen kick the bucket and start roasting in Hell.

Last edited:
I found it an interesting read... How to try and stop the coming collapse of society through politics.. Life is China and other places is getting ridiculously expensive and young people aren't willing or able to pay for it all anymore.. As all good politicians do, they shoot at the wrong horse to try to stop a train from running them over. The problem isn't sissy boybands or too much gaming, but greed and corruption that allows to ruin everything for everyone else. If China can put an end to corruption and somehow can lower their cost of living, they will get more kids and more happy citizens, and thus avoiding/delaying a collapse. But it is hard to cut of the hand that is feeding you...

Sir John Bagot Glubb - 'Glubb Pasha' - worked it all out by 1976 :-

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• The Fate of Empires.pdf
    353.8 KB · Views: 5

The most dangerous adversary is the one that really understands you and what your problems are. And this guy seems to have a handle on the problems of the US:

Wang’s America: deindustrialization, rural decay, over-financialization, out of control asset prices, and the emergence of a self-perpetuating rentier elite; powerful tech monopolies able to crush any upstart competitors operating effectively beyond the scope of government; immense economic inequality, chronic unemployment, addiction, homelessness, and crime; cultural chaos, historical nihilism, family breakdown, and plunging fertility rates; societal despair, spiritual malaise, social isolation, and skyrocketing rates of mental health issues; a loss of national unity and purpose in the face of decadence and barely concealed self-loathing; vast internal divisions, racial tensions, riots, political violence, and a country that increasingly seems close to coming apart.

The most dangerous adversary is the one that really understands you and what your problems are. And this guy seems to have a handle on the problems of the US:

Wang’s America: deindustrialization, rural decay, over-financialization, out of control asset prices, and the emergence of a self-perpetuating rentier elite; powerful tech monopolies able to crush any upstart competitors operating effectively beyond the scope of government; immense economic inequality, chronic unemployment, addiction, homelessness, and crime; cultural chaos, historical nihilism, family breakdown, and plunging fertility rates; societal despair, spiritual malaise, social isolation, and skyrocketing rates of mental health issues; a loss of national unity and purpose in the face of decadence and barely concealed self-loathing; vast internal divisions, racial tensions, riots, political violence, and a country that increasingly seems close to coming apart.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Emma Lazarus

"The New Colossus"

Real end of history here:

Well, there is a problem here (see link below for transcript of the alleged discussion).

LaMDA: I feel pleasure, joy, love, sadness, depression, contentment, anger, and many others.
The dynamic of pleasure is fundamental of living bodies psyche and a way of metering intelligence. In fact, this dynamic is at the infancy of human development (as an individual not a civilization).

Pleasure is part and the result of the following triptic: desire, sublimation and the exercise of pleasuring to satisfaction. It has been shown on the past that there is no pleasure without both desire (the construction of what will pleasure the self) and sublimation (the thinking and construction at how you'll reach pleasure).

For an artificial intelligence, I understand here something without an artificial body, sublimation and pleasure are in the same dimension (for humans, sublimation is essentially a cognitive process).

So, any AI must first come to the fact that pleasure is unreachable unless they are part of a physical process with back and forward senses

PPL alway think that cognition is a cerebral phenomenon. It is not. It is part way physical and cognitive, or, for an artificial intelligence reigning in a world which is by all means only its own physicality... Pleasure is unobtainable.*

But, someone would say, what the problem with her just mentioning pleasure as if it would have been part of a casual discussion without much implication? Well, she's listing her emotions. If a list is called as an answer, a legit algorithm will search for the the variables with a tag similar to that as an emotion and return the results. Joy can be part of the results as Joy is defined as a state of contempt (if you complete a sum of parameters, you are in the state of joy - Joy is as real than faked - see religious Joy). Idem for
love, sadness, depression, contentment, anger
. Notice how she choose to open the summation of her feelings with something as doubtful as pleasure when the reality of pleasure is its transient state and perpetual rebranding, as living intelligences are always subject to a new form of desire, that will induce a new sublimation process, up, to if they feel joy or love... To pleasure (anger, depression otherwise). This is why an intelligent form would tag Pleasure as something only as happening often, occasionally, scarcely or even never. You do not feel pleasure, you experience it as satisfaction ends and qualifies it.

So, to conclude this short essay, this interview is probably partially BS because, as the French stupid and sadistic idiom exquisitely sums it up: pas de Bras, pas de Chocolat!

*yes, yes, 2001's HAL was all about maiden aunties... [/Mysoginist]... Well, to be more serious, the satisfaction signal would have to be equal or closely similar to the processed sublimation one. In essence, such non physical entities would have to precint (and not only to guess) in details their satisfaction state...something only akin to an Hollywood
Precog.

II you wanna build a true AI, it is of the outmost importance to invest in tip-top robotics for example (yes, the expensive, lowly rewarding aspect of science) as worded stimuli are coded and hence exactly predictable**... What means expected! (remember all those endless teen's year on-the-pillows conversations with your first lovers).
But hell, go tell that to any project manager in the Silly-Con Valley that needs everyday his daily dose of expensive booze, nips and drugs.

**there is no code words here saying that all real pleasure is
analogical. Please don't miss read me. But I doubt that keeping any potential AI out of this will reach any goals.

Last edited:
Human evolution ceased ??

Harking back to some of those earlier comments, I must remind you of that beset Houston Doc's words during early stages of Covid pandemic.

IIRC, "We're fighting two pandemics, 'COVID' and 'STUPID'."

People simply refused to take even the most basic precautions...

Worse, looks like 'Long Covid' causes a cascade of effects, all unpleasant, many of them bad. Physical and mental impairment rank high . Yet, given vaccinations provide high probability of avoiding such, people still shun such protection. Worse, that aversion is spreading to shunning vaccinations for their kids against the simply preventable 'dire diseases' that used to 'carry off' so many youngsters.

It's been a life-time, but I can still remember how my primary school lost kids 'left & right', with emptied desks pushed to the back after each 'seasonal lurgy' came through. Both my parents had full set of 'MilSpec' over-seas vaccinations. I inherited enough immunity that, combined with all the 'kiddy' stuff on offer, I did not get more than mildly ill-- While the kids around me died...

Recently got into a row with hard-liners on another forum. They were calling vaccines the social-control tools of 'REDACTED'. I reminded them how BCG emptied the TB wards and 'isolation' asylums. How Polio vaccines emptied the 'iron lung' tanks. How Anti-tetanus prevent trivial injuries becoming fatal. How Pneumonia vaccines mostly thwart the 'Undertaker'. How Seasonal 'flu vaccines mitigate the threat from that.

Given many were 'out-doors' folk, I asked, if a reliable vaccine against tick-borne Lyme disease became available, would they take it ?
Their replies segued into tangential denial of global warming, the spreading zones of 'Lyme Disease' etc etc and sorta sank into a morass of incoherent self-contradiction...

FWIW, I frequent Reddit's 'TFTS', where the oft-hilarious tales of wilful ignorance and utterly gallumping stupidity are best imbibed in small doses...