Barrington Bond

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Justo Miranda said:
I am not sure whether theisdrawing belongs to real projects or fantastic illustrations.
Could you help me classify it, please?

index.php

0011 is only part of a page for an advert for Boron fuel (pure fantasy then I reckon). I have the whole ad in "All American Ads of the 60's (or 50's!)" but that book is buried deep in a cupboard at the moment.

Regards,
Barry

ps I think they are overflying a Boron facility!

Attachments

• Escanear0011.jpg
    Escanear0011.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 853
Although it has been considered a generic design, there is also a possibility that it could be related a Martin proposal (the Model 350 SAC bomber) but it's purely a hypothesis at this stage. I'm also enclosing a picture of a different design also described as a Martin "Boron Bomber".

Attachments

• 'Boron Bomber' (WS-110).JPG
    'Boron Bomber' (WS-110).JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 827
Barrington Bond said:
0011 is only part of a page for an advert for Boron fuel (pure fantasy then I reckon). I have the whole ad in "All American Ads of the 60's (or 50's!)" but that book is buried deep in a cupboard at the moment.

Regards,
Barry

ps I think they are overflying a Boron facility!

sadly Boron fuel is not a fantasy, the really work on this stuff in 1950s
As high energy fuel (HEF) aka ZIP-Fuel for supersonic jets bomber and interceptor
and als chemical fuel for Atomic bomber because it's Neutron radiation absorption by boron
but Boron fuel do gruesome things to Jet engines
it's very toxic and extremely expensive to manufacture
That why the Program was channeled in August 1959.
except triethylborane (TEB), it was used for SR-71 Engine to ignited the JP-7 jet fuel

More on HEF here
Re: Exotic Fuel for Aircraft and Rocket

one of Bomber really planed to use HEF was Waponsystem-110A
like the original NAA proposal 1956
index.php

this design is insane one
most of time it's fly subsonic like B-52
if they got the attack order, they jettison the outer wings and jet-fuel tanks (there in size of a B-47)
now with trapezoidal wing it dash with mach 3 to enemy targets on HEF (Zip) fuel

General Le May was not impress of this "Hell This isn't a Airplane, it's a Three-ship formation!"
and NAA overwork the design to B-70

Attached is a view of the remains of Boron Air Force Plant 72, Northeast of Edwards AFB. Only the outline of a 4,700 ft. runway exists today. The land was reserved in 1959-60 and the intent was to create HEF fuels there. The secret facility was never built.

From Paul Freeman's Abandoned & Little-known Airfields. Also from Dennis Jenkins Warbird Tech No.34.

Attachments

• Boron Air Force Plant 72.jpg
    Boron Air Force Plant 72.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 637
  • Boron AFPl72 CA topo 69.jpg
    Boron AFPl72 CA topo 69.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 614
Here's another image of that Boeing 'formation' at parting time...and a graphic of the NAA proposal with some numbers on weight.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture2.gif
    Picture2.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 99