The 5-minute FALCON - F-15 Global Strike Eagle

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Apart from talks of low-cost LEO launches, F-15 as first stage dubbed 'Global Strike Eagle' makes Flateric suspicious...)))

Attachments

• F-15GSE1.jpg
    F-15GSE1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 969
  • F-15GSE2.jpg
    F-15GSE2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 833
this pig back The Rocket on F-15 remind me of some thing

ah Yes

D-21 M-21 Fiasco
were a Sr-71 variant carry pig back a Mach 6 drone
the D-21 Wing came to close to M-21 fin
on July 30 1966 that happend and D-21 hit and destroy the M-21

here is the same problem
not much space between F-14 Fin and Rocket

Note that the F-15 in question is unmanned... pilotted either from the ground or bya chase plane.

Also, the release conditions would be substantially different from the D-21. The D-21 was released from the A-11 while in horizontal flight; here the rocket would be release while in climb. Thus the gravity vector would tend to pull the D-21 back down onto the A-11, while the rocket would tend to be pulled *aft* of the F-15.

Still very unlikely though.

Personally I think that this is graduate manga that obviously became Boeing paper to send someone to that boring RAS conference

Full text
http://www.responsivespace.com/Papers/RS4%5CPresentations%5CRS4_2001C_Chen.pdf
http://www.responsivespace.com/Papers/RS4%5CPapers%5CRS4_2001P_Chen.pdf

I can just picture Wile E Coyote piloting this. All that's needed is "Acme" on the rocket.
Kim M ;D

The most interesting bit for me is the launch flight crew - "No flight crew". That baby is flying unmanned.
Lets face it, that thing looks like something the Iranians would have thought up.

compton_effect said:
The most interesting bit for me is the launch flight crew - "No flight crew". That baby is flying unmanned.
Lets face it, that thing looks like something the Iranians would have thought up.

yes, I knew something was wrong with the canopy.
First I thought they took the false canopy from that Mig-29 displayed in the USA.

With the added drag of the rocket, would it be possible for the F-15 to break the sound barrier in the mated configuration? I suspect that the delta-V contribution of the F-15 would be very small (certainly less than Mach 2.) If that's the case, why even bother with this concept?

CFE said:
With the added drag of the rocket, would it be possible for the F-15 to break the sound barrier in the mated configuration? I suspect that the delta-V contribution of the F-15 would be very small (certainly less than Mach 2.) If that's the case, why even bother with this concept?

Not just a velocity componant, but also an altitude componant. Reduces the height the rocket must climb on it's own *and* it reduces the aerodynamic drag it must fight. Also, an aircraft gives increased options in launch points compared to ground launch.

Apparently, it was possible. Yesterday, while looking for something totally different, I stumbled across this report on the concept that was reposted by DoD earlier this year. The flight profile calls for a pitch-up and M<1.7, and actual release at M1.35 and just under 50,000 feet altitude. I'm not quite sure I understand the profile leading to the pitch-up -- it's a bit of a roller-coaster.

1687960344445.png

Attachments

• FLASHBACK_F-15 GSE.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Same reason that the Pegasus booster launches from the B-52, or the various Scaled Composites weirdness: to get above the thickest part of the atmosphere.

Free delta vee just from that. Starting supersonic is a happy bonus.