• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

The 5-minute FALCON - F-15 Global Strike Eagle

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Apart from talks of low-cost LEO launches, F-15 as first stage dubbed 'Global Strike Eagle' makes Flateric suspicious...)))

Attachments

• F-15GSE1.jpg
    F-15GSE1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 856
  • F-15GSE2.jpg
    F-15GSE2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 719

Michel Van

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
this pig back The Rocket on F-15 remind me of some thing

ah Yes

D-21 M-21 Fiasco
were a Sr-71 variant carry pig back a Mach 6 drone
the D-21 Wing came to close to M-21 fin
on July 30 1966 that happend and D-21 hit and destroy the M-21

here is the same problem
not much space between F-14 Fin and Rocket

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Note that the F-15 in question is unmanned... pilotted either from the ground or bya chase plane.

Also, the release conditions would be substantially different from the D-21. The D-21 was released from the A-11 while in horizontal flight; here the rocket would be release while in climb. Thus the gravity vector would tend to pull the D-21 back down onto the A-11, while the rocket would tend to be pulled *aft* of the F-15.

Still very unlikely though.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I think that this is graduate manga that obviously became Boeing paper to send someone to that boring RAS conference

Full text
http://www.responsivespace.com/Papers/RS4%5CPresentations%5CRS4_2001C_Chen.pdf
http://www.responsivespace.com/Papers/RS4%5CPapers%5CRS4_2001P_Chen.pdf

Kim Margosein

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I can just picture Wile E Coyote piloting this. All that's needed is "Acme" on the rocket.
Kim M ;D

compton_effect

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
The most interesting bit for me is the launch flight crew - "No flight crew". That baby is flying unmanned.
Lets face it, that thing looks like something the Iranians would have thought up.

fightingirish

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
compton_effect said:
The most interesting bit for me is the launch flight crew - "No flight crew". That baby is flying unmanned.
Lets face it, that thing looks like something the Iranians would have thought up.

yes, I knew something was wrong with the canopy.
First I thought they took the false canopy from that Mig-29 displayed in the USA.

CFE

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
With the added drag of the rocket, would it be possible for the F-15 to break the sound barrier in the mated configuration? I suspect that the delta-V contribution of the F-15 would be very small (certainly less than Mach 2.) If that's the case, why even bother with this concept?

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
CFE said:
With the added drag of the rocket, would it be possible for the F-15 to break the sound barrier in the mated configuration? I suspect that the delta-V contribution of the F-15 would be very small (certainly less than Mach 2.) If that's the case, why even bother with this concept?

Not just a velocity componant, but also an altitude componant. Reduces the height the rocket must climb on it's own *and* it reduces the aerodynamic drag it must fight. Also, an aircraft gives increased options in launch points compared to ground launch.